Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

McMafia

(52 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Mon 01-Jan-18 23:23:14

Anyone watching this, first episode tonight, second tomorrow, I thought very good and quite fast moving, starring James Norton, very easy on the eye wink

ninathenana Tue 02-Jan-18 00:24:52

The subtitles were a bit quick. I found the plot a bit confusing at first too but H and S liked it so I will be watching again.

kittylester Tue 02-Jan-18 07:34:44

I might have enjoyed it, I might have understood it. I'll let you know! tchgrin

Humbertbear Tue 02-Jan-18 07:56:00

Once the first episode got going I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to tonight’s episode,

Nannylovesshopping Tue 02-Jan-18 08:05:14

Hahakittylester although I said I enjoyed it, didn't mean I actually understood all that was going on!! I shall try harder tonightgrin

Greyduster Tue 02-Jan-18 08:57:15

A bit bloodthirsty for me so far, but I will stick with it.

Nelliemoser Tue 02-Jan-18 09:03:11

I dont like any of these blood thirsty things either. I don't want bland TV but I steer away from seeing too much graphic violence.
It can be made quite clear that someone is being battered without needing to show all the violence.

Teetime Tue 02-Jan-18 09:10:02

Oh yes bit scary though probably a bit near the truth too.

merlotgran Tue 02-Jan-18 11:39:13

Fell asleep after about twenty mins so will have to catch up before tonight's episode.

Jane10 Tue 02-Jan-18 13:16:20

Hmm. Bloodthirsty? I've recorded it. Won't bother watching it now.

TerriBull Tue 02-Jan-18 15:43:21

It is near the truth, The Sunday Times this week published an article in which the author of a factual book that inspired the programme explained how organised crime has gone global, "the McMafia" of the title being an analogy to the global brand that is McDonalds. Apparently tonight's episide will deal with a young woman trafficked into prostitution based on a real life story. Just one of the many hideous downsides of globalised crime.

lemongrove Tue 02-Jan-18 15:50:43

Have recorded it to watch, but it won’t be as good as The Sopranos ( or as violent) I bet.

GrandmaMoira Tue 02-Jan-18 16:50:14

It looked interesting but I turned over as it soon became too bloodthirsty for me.

GillT57 Tue 02-Jan-18 17:18:14

I thought it was excellent. The drama is based on a non-fiction book written by Misha Glenny, who said he had received threats from various shady individuals after writing it.

whitewave Tue 02-Jan-18 18:02:13

Yes the series is based on factshock. Think about the oligarchs resident in London, blimey makes you think doesn’t it?

One thing for sure I’m not sure that any government could deal with them.

GillT57 Tue 02-Jan-18 18:41:08

It is great, after the dire rubbish that was the Xmas TV schedules, to see a bit of intelligent drama, something well acted, something that you have to listen to, work out to enjoy. Xmas TV this year has to have been the worst ever. Thank heavens for Netflix.

SueDonim Tue 02-Jan-18 23:48:26

Just me who was waiting for vistas of Scottish mounstans and castles looming out of the mists then? grin

pensionpat Wed 03-Jan-18 08:41:17

Me too Sue Domin!

annodomini Wed 03-Jan-18 09:26:10

So did I. I expected it to reveal dirty dealing in Scottish gangland. It's a misleading title!

Teetime Wed 03-Jan-18 09:45:18

The title was explained in the first programme - its to do with a MacDonald's Management Model of having the largest number of franchises anywhere- the Israeli guy wants domination in the same way.

jevive73 Wed 03-Jan-18 09:52:22

Poor title then..I didn't get the lnk. A great programme so far.

Jalima1108 Wed 03-Jan-18 09:56:41

SueDonim I, too, was puzzled and asked DH halfway through the second episode what this had to do with Scotland!

Oh - so McDonald's is more important than Scotland now, is it? [hmmph] how dare they.

TerriBull Wed 03-Jan-18 10:03:06

I didn't get the McMaffia analogy to the global brand of McDonalds at the outset, having seen the trailer where Alex tells the viewer about his "born with a silver spoon life" I assumed that the Mc related to him being educated in a Scottish public school confused Nevertheless, compulsive viewing imo.

Jalima1108 Wed 03-Jan-18 10:10:37

'born with a silver spoon' is such a British saying surely? Even being educated in Britain I wouldn't have thought that a Russian would use that term.

TerriBull Wed 03-Jan-18 11:14:46

Jalima I think that was the expression Alex used in the preview I saw. Although his heritage is Russian although to all intents and purposes he has been thoroughly imbued with all things British, well up until recently, I suspect like Michael Corleone before him (Godfather) he's morphing back to his familial roots.