Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Endeavour

(55 Posts)
Eloethan Tue 13-Feb-18 23:34:18

I used to love this series, mostly because the acting was so good and the characterisation so believable.

The last series wasn't great but it is now even worse. Morse has become a real misery guts, pulling horrible faces and being generally disagreeable, and the storylines are just ridiculous - and boring. Very disappointing.

Anniebach Mon 19-Feb-18 14:42:11

Morse wasn't grumpy , just a rather complex character

Jane10 Mon 19-Feb-18 15:32:46

Grampian?! Stupid autocorrect - I meant Grampa of course.

gulligranny Tue 20-Feb-18 20:03:33

We love it. Roger Allam is just wonderful and Anton Lesser has made the character of Reginald Bright into something much more complex than the forelock-tugger we first thought he was. Can't stand Trewlove though, smug madam.

lemongrove Tue 20-Feb-18 20:18:14

The last one ( railway murders) was back on form, very good.
Yes, I think Morse is becoming more the man he will eventually be, irascible, socially at sea and unhappy.
Thursday and Bright are wonderful characters, both totally convincing, also Strange, and Max (pathologist) at home in their parts and faithful to the older men they become in the Morse series.
This series does seem a little lack lustre compared to all the others.

Floradora9 Tue 20-Feb-18 21:51:03

What is missing is Morse's intellect you see him doing the odd crossword but few other quotes or cultural references.

Franbern Sat 24-Feb-18 12:51:59

Must say I am thoroughly enjoying this series, as much as previous ones. I record, so ff all adverts. Like the ongoing story running through the whole series of Protection Racket, etc. but thought the twist at the end of the third one (railway) was excellent and unexpected. All the acting is superb.

Eloethan Sat 24-Feb-18 17:08:56

I thought the last storyline was much better.

Eloethan Sun 25-Feb-18 23:50:50

Watched it tonight. It seems to be back on track again. Good.

Charleygirl Mon 26-Feb-18 09:01:10

I could actually follow it last night- it had a beginning, a middle and an end. Much better.

cornergran Mon 26-Feb-18 10:32:48

I also enjoyed it last night, hold my attention.

nigglynellie Mon 26-Feb-18 14:26:07

I think it's well back on track again, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I remember (just) Oxford City Police, before they became Thames Valley, because a friend's boyfriend was young Constable with the City Police when we were at secretarial college in St Giles. It's all so long ago and all memory lane for me!! Later Morse's were too, but these early ones really take me back!!

Nelliemoser Tue 27-Feb-18 10:38:12

I watched an old episode of Lewis instead, the one where Hathaway discovered who had killed Lewis's wife in a hit and run several years earlier.
I enjoyed the interaction between Lewis, Hathaway and their superintendent (Rebecca Front) in that story line That was quite sensitive and Morse could not have done that he did not go in for sensitivity.

The actors do very well with keeping their "characters" consistent, The basic story was a little unbelievable. The apparent relationship between these two is well drawn "Robbie" Lewis is a much more pleasant man than Morse ever was.

Jane10 Mon 05-Mar-18 07:14:22

Well last night's episode was good wasn't it? I didn't completely follow what was going on but the espionage crossover with ordinary policing was interesting.

morethan2 Mon 05-Mar-18 08:09:13

I must have missed an episode so can anyone tell me what’s been the problem in the Thursday family. What’s all the underlying friction and angst about, particularly with the daughter and her father? I rather enjoy Endeavour in the same way I enjoy call the midwife. It must be somthing about that time. Perhaps it reminds me about my childhood and family long gone.

Culag Mon 05-Mar-18 08:35:52

I think it is morphing into the later episodes of Foyles War. It was good though.

Charleygirl Mon 05-Mar-18 08:53:59

I enjoyed last night's episode and like you Jane I did not understand 100% of it. Was that the last of the series?

ninathenana Mon 05-Mar-18 09:07:43

There is one more Charleygirl

I have yet to watch an episode of this without falling asleep ! Although I did stay awake longer last night, so it must have been a good episode smile
I have to watch it live so I can record CTM as H isn't keen.

Nelliemoser Sun 11-Mar-18 23:08:14

I have just been watching it. Excellent drama. And I get to see my Dad's double. Anton Lesser as Inspector Bright.

Eloethan Mon 12-Mar-18 00:25:29

The last episode of the series tonight was one of the best I think.

cornergran Mon 12-Mar-18 00:50:26

I enjoyed it. Endeavour seems to be getting more Morse-like.

Mapleleaf Mon 12-Mar-18 08:59:58

I’ve enjoyed the whole series.

Charleygirl Mon 12-Mar-18 09:31:01

I thought that last night's episode was one of the best- a pity we are not seeing any more until next year.

Jane10 Mon 12-Mar-18 10:17:55

It's one programme I really look forward to. I'd saved a special bar of chocolate to have during it last night to add to the treat factor but I was so engrossed that I forgot to eat it. Result!! Lovely evening and calories saved.

sodapop Mon 12-Mar-18 10:56:58

I enjoyed last night's episode as well. Brought a lump to my throat. I do like the understated acting, particularly by Thursday.
Thursday's daughter was in a relationship which her father did not agree with and 'living in sin'. He tried to get her to come home and she was beaten too I think more than The daughter resented the father's interference. I think that's right if abbreviated. Please correct me someone if I have got it wrong.

lemongrove Mon 12-Mar-18 15:58:33

That is one of the things wrong with Endeavor, that things are so miserable with the Thursday family.
The daughter was caught up in a bank raid ( along with Morse) and was apparently so traumatised by it that she left her loving family without a word of where she was going ( out of character) settled somewhere in the Midlands and had an affair with a married man.
Thursday then found out and visited her and secretly threatened the man ( looked as if her lover had hit her, as well.)
The son is in the army, and he seems to be distant with his Father as well, after being very close up to then ( again, why?)So Thursday has become very morose.To me, it seems all out of character, simply that the writers want to create tension.