Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Endeavour

(55 Posts)
Eloethan Tue 13-Feb-18 23:34:18

I used to love this series, mostly because the acting was so good and the characterisation so believable.

The last series wasn't great but it is now even worse. Morse has become a real misery guts, pulling horrible faces and being generally disagreeable, and the storylines are just ridiculous - and boring. Very disappointing.

merlotgran Mon 12-Mar-18 16:21:34

I think the Thursdays represented many lower middle class families of that era. The parents had come through a war and were hog tied by their old fashioned values and unsure of their aspirations.

The teenage children were often in no-man's land. On one hand a dull existence and on the other lay opportunities they didn't know how to grasp.

I've always thought the Beatles' poignant song, 'She's Leaving Home' perfectly sums it all up.

The scene where Chief Superintendent Bright talked briefly about his small daughter who had died was particularly sad.

Brilliant writing and acting.

Jane10 Mon 12-Mar-18 16:31:44

Entirely agree Merlotgran!

Welshwife Mon 12-Mar-18 19:16:33

Joan Thursday moved to Leamingto Spa after the bank robbery. She rang Morse but hung up when he replied - as she did it twice he got the number of the phone box and a location and found where she was living. Thursday found her address on Morses desk and went there - waited outside for the man and hit him one on the chin
When she left the married man she was pregnant and went to Morse. He did offer to marry her - but she had a miscarriage and gave his phone number - he kept quiet about it all and just helped her.
She did eventually tell her mother about the miscarriage but at the mo her Dad is ignorant of the fact.
The undercurrents and secondary stories make it a bit more lifelike - I will be interested to see who is working together at the new station in the next series.

lemongrove Mon 12-Mar-18 21:41:57

The latest episode ( set in a school) was very poignant all round, sniff!