Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Endeavour

(54 Posts)
Eloethan Tue 13-Feb-18 23:34:18

I used to love this series, mostly because the acting was so good and the characterisation so believable.

The last series wasn't great but it is now even worse. Morse has become a real misery guts, pulling horrible faces and being generally disagreeable, and the storylines are just ridiculous - and boring. Very disappointing.

Anniebach Wed 14-Feb-18 03:32:24

I don't enjoy this series either, most disappointing

BBbevan Wed 14-Feb-18 06:15:39

I went to sleep in the middle. I have no idea what it was about. Loved the last series though

cornergran Wed 14-Feb-18 07:57:07

Mr C likes it, I catch up with my sleep smile.

Greyduster Wed 14-Feb-18 08:30:16

Image that very remark to DH when we made the last episode. Misery guts indeed!

jusnoneed Wed 14-Feb-18 08:38:10

At one time the two hours flew by but now I think they could easily fit it into an hours programme, seems to be drawn out and slow.

merlotgran Wed 14-Feb-18 08:42:28

What's happening with Trewlove? All she does is stand around now looking bored. She was one of the best characters in the last series.

Katek Wed 14-Feb-18 09:04:27

Think they may be trying to metamorphose Sean Evans into the older, curmudgeonly Morse. Him picking up a girl he didn’t know just didn’t fit the character either-it sort of stuck out and jangled. Loved the Roxy and the Reginald Dixon style organist-though-wonder where it is?

Kittye Wed 14-Feb-18 09:18:59

Katek I thought the same about him picking up the girl. I don't think a "fast" girl would have appealed to Endeavour.
I must say I've never seen a cinema that big. But remember seeing the organist. Were the organs called wurlitzers? Must say I'm not enjoying this series as much as previous ones.

eazybee Wed 14-Feb-18 10:27:03

I still enjoy it, thanks to the wonderful music, acting and settings, and I think Endeavour is showing early signs of Morse's irascibility.
The fault lies with the increasingly desperate plot lines, as in Silent Witness, Vera and Shetland; what a gothic attempt at a cliff-hanger. Doesn't Dougie Henshall have any facial expressions other than mildly agonised, agonised and really agonised?

Katek Wed 14-Feb-18 10:35:20

Think he may have smiled briefly at Cassie at one point easybee!

nigglynellie Wed 14-Feb-18 11:33:11

I'm finding Endeavour difficult to follow and hear, to put it mildly!!! I love it because it's Oxford where I was born and lived for the first 21 years of my life. Apart from that?!!!!! It should be good, but it sort of isn't!!

Greyduster Thu 15-Feb-18 08:24:54

I have just watched the second episode and I thought it was absolutely awful. The ridiculous Agatha Christie style B movie plot made me lose the will to live! Hope it picks up.

nigglynellie Thu 15-Feb-18 11:02:54

You're right Greyduster, it was AWFUL!!!!

merlotgran Sun 18-Feb-18 21:28:05

Crossroads Motel!!!!

grin grin grin

ninathenana Sun 18-Feb-18 22:47:57

merlot
smile and in King's Oak no less.

Nelliemoser Sun 18-Feb-18 23:11:58

But the adult Morse was a grumpy bugger.
I do like Roger Allam.

Every time I see Anton Lesser as Superintendent Reginald Bright I get shivers down my back because from the front he looks so like my father.

Jane10 Mon 19-Feb-18 07:07:55

Well I love it!

nigglynellie Mon 19-Feb-18 07:24:19

I thought it was a lot better last night, almost believable, and Oxford was lovely.
How sad to feel like that about your father Nm, I would love to be reminded of my S-father whom I loved dearly.

Eloethan Mon 19-Feb-18 08:42:10

That sounds more promising. I've recorded it son look forward to seeing it.

cornergran Mon 19-Feb-18 08:48:22

Enjoyed last nights episode although I did watch with one eye on the iPad

Katek Mon 19-Feb-18 08:55:53

Have recorded it as we were out - looking forward to seeing this episode.

Jane10 Mon 19-Feb-18 09:23:06

I like the slow relaxed pace and lovely music. Some beautiful camera work too. Thursday reminds me of my Grampian. He had the same hat, clothes and pipe. Pipes seem to have gone out of fashion these days.

Willow500 Mon 19-Feb-18 09:49:45

Neither of us can put our finger on why we're not particularly keen on this program. We loved Morse and last night's episode was ok once we started watching it but have to say if it wasn't for laziness we'd probably turn over.

Mapleleaf Mon 19-Feb-18 14:28:53

Me, too, Jane10.