Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Eurovision Song Contest

(39 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 12-May-18 23:28:47

Does anybody still watch this?
Does anybody care or has it all become too unutterably naff?
In the 70’s when far fewer nations took part, we used to have or go to dinner parties where you drew a country in a sweep and actually watched the shenanigans (with suitable toasts for one’s “own” country)

BlueBelle Sun 13-May-18 13:50:22

.... our song which I heard on news and radio programmes sounded really really familiar but I can’t think what to any ideas

Franbern Sun 13-May-18 18:47:36

Never been interested in this at all. However,, one of my teenage g.daughters had a couple of friends for a sleep-over so they could watch it all.
UK will never win as there is so much political voting. Perhaps of all the performers did so without having their nationalities known, might get better results.

ElaineI Sun 13-May-18 19:34:18

Missed first half as out pram walking to give DD2 rest from colicky baby. It is apparently more of a thing abroad than here! Kept baby asleep anyway. I thought the voting was less political this year but seemed pointless as the public vote changed everything so why bother with the panel votes at all! Had a laugh when the chicken song won! Says it all!
Usually watch Casualty on Saturday evenings.

Jalima1108 Sun 13-May-18 20:02:12

We watched it last night although we hadn't watched it for years - thinking we might have a laugh.
Oh dear, never mind.
and I did vote for Australia!
We know younger friends who have a party and dress up - everyone knows it is naff but apparently that is what makes it fun.

I just didn't 'get' the winning song at all, especially when the winner said "I'm so happy, thanks for choosing difference, thank you for celebrating diversity.".
Why did she say that, am I missing something?

POGS Mon 14-May-18 07:07:09

I watched it and I thought it was , wait for it -very good.

It must be me as I thought there were some really good songs from the UK, Germany, Sweden , Australia, Cyprus to name just a few.

The UK song was a good one and I was surprised it did not fair better but I think we could put Adele or Ed Shearan on for the UK and we would be in the bottom 10.

The political voting is annoying but to be fair the next contest will be held presumably in Jerusalem??

NfkDumpling Mon 14-May-18 07:22:56

We had it on, because DH was reading the paper and I was concentrating on a new knitting pattern. I got the feeling Graham Norton was pulling his punches and could have been far more entertaining if he'd been allowed. Most of the songs were 'wallpaper' (which is why it got left on) and the winning one I didn't like at all. I do think we don't stand a chance of getting anywhere regardless of the quality of our entry. I don't think we should have automatic entry, it doesn't help our popularity. As for the Eurovision presenter women, they were scary!

Lindylo Mon 14-May-18 10:53:30

Only caught ten minutes or so of the show on Saturday.
Really feel it's about time we pulled out. We are never going to get even into the top half of the entries as we are hated in Europe. Surely the money could be spent more wisely elsewhere.
It's just got too political with a 'we vote for you/you vote for us' pact going on.

gillybob Mon 14-May-18 12:16:47

Maybe its really a reverse contest and to win you have to lose . In which case we really did rather well. confused

Jalima1108 Mon 14-May-18 14:27:32

I think iswym gillybob - the better the song, the fewer the points - in which case we nearly won!

gillybob Mon 14-May-18 15:10:46

We did Jalima grin

Jalima1108 Mon 14-May-18 19:38:42

All I can remember is Buck's Fizz and Abba

Oh - and Sandie Shaw, Puppet on a String

callgirl1 Mon 14-May-18 21:48:29

Strangely enough, whenever I think of Eurovision the name that comes to me first is Vicky Leandros, she won for Luxembourg in 1972. I couldn`t remember the song, so looked on YouTube, since then I can`t get it out of my head, love it.

SpringyChicken Mon 14-May-18 23:39:11

Apparently, some people love it so much, they hold Eurovision parties. One such person was on our PTA and suggested it as a fund raiser one year. The rest of us looked at him in utter disbelief. All his friends dress up, bring food for the evening and watch at his house, singing along using the subtitles. Needless to say, the PTA did not run it as an event.