Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Eurovision Song Contest

(38 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Sun 13-May-18 08:49:59

I haven't watched it, or taken any interest in it, for years. I didn't even hear the UK entry until last Friday! Does anyone actually believe that the best song wins?

FarNorth Sun 13-May-18 08:43:11

TW amusing? He always sounded smug and supercilious, to me.

I read the report of the guy snatching the mic. That must have been so scary for Surie.

Maggiemaybe Sun 13-May-18 08:37:21

TW was hilarious, but he did have the huge advantage of being allowed to say just what he wanted, without weighing every word in case it broke a rule or offended someone. I think even Terry might have struggled these days.

petra Sun 13-May-18 08:36:46

Last night was the first time I've switched it off. I liked it more when it had all the naff groups.
If that was the best that Europe could offer, sad
I really do think it's time we walked away from it. What's the point of keep beating yourself up.

Bathsheba Sun 13-May-18 08:34:40

I haven't watched it or indeed had any interest in it for several years. My DH watches it every year (while vehemently protesting that it's only because there's nothing much else on and he's really not interested grin), and he gets irate every year about the political voting, and the fact that the worst, most naff, entries get the most attention. I am weary of telling him that the Eurovision Song Contest is not about music any more hmm

sodapop Sun 13-May-18 08:25:49

I didn't watch this year but agree with others that Terry Wogan made the whole thing enjoyable. If Norton sounded bored then shame on him, he was being paid to commentate on the show and should have made an effort to keep the audience interested.

Chewbacca Sun 13-May-18 00:28:48

I agree Grammaretto, Terry Wogan's running commentary was very funny and was the best part of the show. Graham Norton sounds as though he'd rather be anywhere else but there. don't blame him really.

Grammaretto Sun 13-May-18 00:24:40

Terry Wogan's commentary made it bearable but Graham Norton sounds as bored as I was.
It's still political and the UK suffered from the Brexit factor.
I also liked the German entry and also France and Austria.

Maggiemaybe Sun 13-May-18 00:13:20

Well I’ll admit it’s been on in our house tonight. blush I’ll also admit I should have switched it off about ten minutes in.

I vaguely remember there being a few decent tunes last year. This year not so much, though I did actually like the German entry.

I felt sorry for Suri when whoever it was ran on stage and grabbed her microphone. It must have been scary and she did well to carry on.

hildajenniJ Sun 13-May-18 00:12:02

I watched it, but was decidedly underwhelmed. The whole thing goes on for far too long, and the voting takes ages as they do it in two stages now. Jury votes then viewers votes. Perhaps it's a younger person's show! Does that make me an old fogey?

Moocow Sat 12-May-18 23:51:34

I know a group of teens who look forward to it as they do things like the international games. I understand it's quite a big thing with students. Gives them something to join together/celebrate, maybe both.

Chewbacca Sat 12-May-18 23:51:25

According to the BBC news, it got a little more exciting for a few brief minutes, anyway because someone "stormed" the stage whilst Suri, the British contestant, was half way through her song. Livened things up a bit apparently! But to answer your question, Maw, no, I have watched it for years. Don't know anyone who would admit to going so either grin

MawBroon Sat 12-May-18 23:28:47

Does anybody still watch this?
Does anybody care or has it all become too unutterably naff?
In the 70’s when far fewer nations took part, we used to have or go to dinner parties where you drew a country in a sweep and actually watched the shenanigans (with suitable toasts for one’s “own” country)