Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Michael Crawford

(18 Posts)
kittylester Mon 11-Jun-18 20:45:12

Just watched him one the One Show and realised what a talented man he is and what a nice man he seems.

Welshwife Mon 11-Jun-18 21:06:09

He was a good singer too - I thought he was the best Phantom.

callgirl1 Mon 11-Jun-18 21:22:11

I still remember Frank Spencer, and he did his own stunts in that as well.

merlotgran Mon 11-Jun-18 21:23:57

Heck! When I saw the thread title I thought he was dead

Glad he's still with us grin

kittylester Mon 11-Jun-18 21:36:38

I remember him as the tearaway in TWTWTW and as a fabulous Barnum.

Menopaws Mon 11-Jun-18 22:09:15

Saw him in Barnum many years ago, he was amazing

overthehill Mon 11-Jun-18 22:52:40

I didn’t recognise him till they said who it was.
Our dear GS has watched all the series of Some mothers do 'ave 'em .
We are taking him to see Joe Pasquale in the role at Southend in July.

Deedaa Mon 11-Jun-18 23:28:29

Anyone remember him on the satire show that came after That Was The Week That Was? He was very young and I think the character was called Byron. Every sentence began "What it is ....."

Deedaa Mon 11-Jun-18 23:31:15

Sorry kitty I hadn't read your's. I'm sure it was a later show though, I'm sure John Bird was in it and perhaps John Fortune.

BlueBelle Tue 12-Jun-18 05:52:08

I wouldn’t have recognised him at first sight but as soon as he spoke I did, I think he looks good for 76 perhaps because he’s kept a lovely head of hair
He does seem a very gentle and kindly man and admitted to having lost confidence as he got older ( gave me some hope)
I thought he had gone into singing after comedy but it’s quite the other way round he came across as a Very nice genuine man

kittylester Tue 12-Jun-18 06:20:44

deedaa, you are right. The programme was 'Not so much a programme, more a way of life'. My excuse for getting it wrong is that I was very, very young at the time! grin

sodapop Tue 12-Jun-18 08:22:34

Michael Crawford is a very talented man. I agree with Welshwife he was the best Phantom. I didn't see Barnum but understand it was a fantastic show.

Deedaa Tue 12-Jun-18 20:32:57

I fear I wasn't quite so young kitty sad

stella1949 Wed 13-Jun-18 05:31:19

I remember that he was the artistic coach for Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean. What a talented man he is / was.

NanKate Wed 13-Jun-18 06:28:17

That takes me back. Loved TWTWTW I had a crush on the young man who was an artist on the show called Timothy Bird I think, he sadly died young. I too saw MC in Barnum, just wonderful.

Thank you for bringing back such happy memories Kitty.

Gagagran Wed 13-Jun-18 06:34:13

I saw him in Phantom with Sarah Brightman in the 1980s and he was amazing with a great voice. Didn't Paul Daniels arrange the magical effects in that show? It was memorable from start to finish and Michael is a real star.

kittylester Wed 13-Jun-18 08:49:29

We have also seen Paul Nicholas and Brian Conley as Barnum - both good but not a patch on Michael Crawford.

Deedaa Wed 13-Jun-18 20:36:58

NanKate It was Timothy Birdsall. Such a funny, talented boy. I remember travelling to college in tears the day we heard he'd died. He's on a very short list of people I've always remembered. Have you read the book about his childhood with his brother? I can't remember the title, something about butterflies. It's a lovely book, although it has some harrowing stories of his father's time as a doctor during the blitz.