Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Not much on TV these days

(37 Posts)
Eloethan Wed 20-Jun-18 23:43:08

Is it just me or is there a dearth of good TV programmes at the moment?

I gave up watching Eastenders some years ago because of its sheer nastiness. I have finally given up on Coronation Street after many, many years of watching. I just got so fed up with the ridiculously melodramatic and totally unrealistic plot lines. I realise that soaps do not reflect real life but there is a limit to the number of "issues" and surreal events you can cram into a week's viewing.

There are a few good documentaries - I liked the grammar/secondary modern schools series. And I still enjoy watching Holby City (the current storyline about the ethics of trialling new medical/surgical procedures is I think, quite gripping) but several evenings for the last couple of weeks I've hardly watched anything - despite the dozens of channels that are available. There haven't even been many good films.

What do others think?

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Jun-18 23:53:13

No it’s not just you. A few things I watched have finished recently - The Good Fight, Rough Justice. I’m not really enjoying the final The Bridge but sort of feel I’ll stick with it out of loyalty. We tend to watch films that we recorded that were on at odd hours or else a film from Curzon Home Cinema which we have to pay for. I gave up on Hidden.

travelsafar Thu 21-Jun-18 06:54:05

I must admit i turn more and more to Netflix for films and series to watch. I love being able to stop a prog when i need to, to pop to the loo or make a cuppa, no adverts or introductions of new programs i can rewind if i missed the point of something and of course subtitles. Summer not good on TV plus there is so much sport and if you are not into it its a bit of a bore.

ninathenana Thu 21-Jun-18 06:55:10

It's not helped by this football competition thing that seems to be happening grin

NfkDumpling Thu 21-Jun-18 06:57:25

Agree. If you’re not into sport, there’s not a lot left. I found myself watching Cats from Hell about problem moggies for a while last night. Then I took myself in hand and read a book!

Alima Thu 21-Jun-18 07:03:11

Yes, I agree, TV is rather dire at the moment. Still watch ‘Enders out of habit and of course there’s the WC if you like football. Apart from that there’s nothing on that I want to watch. Gave up on Split, seemed weird seeing Nicola Walker dressed up. Saw a wonderful programme about peregrine falcons a few weeks ago and another about pangolins. Other than that it’s read, read, read!

mcem Thu 21-Jun-18 07:03:18

I've found myself wishing I were interested in football!

Grandma70s Thu 21-Jun-18 07:04:27

We all want different things from television, I suppose, but I agree there’s not much at the moment. I don’t watch much fiction, no soaps or thrillers, and not really crime series either. I like documentaries. There have been some good ones , all repeats I think, on BBC4 recently. I like good comedy as well, but there isn’t any at the moment. I miss high-quality quizzes like University Challenge and Only Connect.

& there’s nothing else, I watch the News Channel.

Grandma70s Thu 21-Jun-18 07:07:12

That should have been ‘IF there’s nothing else’, of course.

NfkDumpling Thu 21-Jun-18 07:07:34

We’re even giving up on Mr Attenborough. So many of the nature programmes, which are lovely background while doing a crossword, are just the same clips rehashed and we’re now recognising them.

gillybob Thu 21-Jun-18 07:17:08

If you don’t mind subtitles you should check out the “Walter Presents” series on Channel 4 . Box sets of the best foreign dramas. I have just finished watching Thicker than Water, which I really enjoyed. A Swedish drama series set on a beautiful remote island.

OldMeg Thu 21-Jun-18 07:24:42

I agree there is a dearth of good programmes. Last night I had a choice of racing from Ascot, tennis from Queens or the World Cup on my favoured channels, none of which appealed.

Can’t stand soaps, for the same reason as the OP.

Grannyknot Thu 21-Jun-18 07:44:35

Netflix all the way...

If I can't find a film to watch, there's always a documentary.

Recent finds include:
The Lighthouse of the Orcas (El faro de las orcas) "a beautiful Argentinean film based on a real person – Roberto Bubas, a park ranger in Patagonia, Argentina. The story takes place on the absolutely gorgeous windswept coastline of Patagonia. Sea lions fill the beaches, making tempting meals for the huge orcas that come hunt in the area..." (he's an orca whisperer smile).

Sea Nomads - a documentary of "two brothers who embark on a 13-month surfing and camping road trip from L.A. to Buenos Aires, encountering a diverse array of people and cultures."

I'm now watching The Staircase, a true courtroom drama/documentary about novelist Michael Peterson, whose wife was found dead at the bottom of a staircase. He said it was a fall, the prosecution said it was murder. It follows the case over a period of 15 years.

MawBroon Thu 21-Jun-18 07:47:37

As they say “tell me about it”.
However Kirsty Wark presented an excellent programme on Muriel Spark last night on BBC 4.

Maggiemaybe Thu 21-Jun-18 08:19:25

I’ve still got several full series recorded from what I thought was a pretty good Winter and Spring on TV. Unfortunately we didn’t have time to watch all we wanted then and still don’t. smile

I’ve stuck with Corrie. I very nearly gave up on it a few months ago when there were far too many unbelievable storylines to keep up with, but I think it’s back on track now.

Jane10 Thu 21-Jun-18 09:09:08

I recorded loads while we were away recently. As I'm going to be banged up over the summer recovering from another knee replacement op I'm really going to need to be entertained!
I enjoy soaps, dramas and documentaries. I like art ones with Andrew Graham Dickson or travel or history ones. Och. I'll watch anything (except sportangry)!

Tweedle24 Thu 21-Jun-18 09:12:51

I tend to look for history and documentaries on Player. I have found quite a few that I had previously not known.

sodapop Thu 21-Jun-18 09:27:03

Me too Jane10 I'm not selective in my viewing. Books are my first love though.

TerriBull Thu 21-Jun-18 10:16:28

There really is very little on, I'm glad I read. I don't watch any soaps so my life isn't governed by keeping up with them, our only "must see" is The Bridge on Fridays, although it's lost a bit of it's edge for me.

However, my son set us up with Netflix so have been watching the second series of "The Crown" excellent! Only two more instalments to go we are up the early 1960s, Margaret has just married |Armstrong-Jones and President Kennedy was assassinated in the episode we watched last night .Next series Olivia Colman will take over the role as the Queen, she's a good actress but Claire Foy will take some beating.

I've also heard a few journalists praise a Netflix series called "Fauda" an Israeli/Palestinian combined effort I gather, a rare thing! but the narrative unfolds from both points of view. Sadly we had trouble getting the sub titles up for this but will keep trying, because it sounds good.

POGS Thu 21-Jun-18 10:42:44

I agree with Gillybob about 'Walter Present' on Channel 4. They are very good .

I think summer tele is always a tad short on good programme's and it picks up again Septemberish.

Thank goodness for Netflix , Poldark and Versailles at the moment.

Pittcity Thu 21-Jun-18 12:10:41

My guilty secret is Richard Osman's House of Games....half an hour of silly quiz games with celebrities that I have heard of (mostly).

GillT57 Thu 21-Jun-18 12:36:00

Sticking with Corrie for a little bit longer, but agree that there is not a lot on. I like a good drama, and since The Split finished there have not been any that I fancied, so Netflix for me most evenings

annodomini Thu 21-Jun-18 13:45:13

Pittcity, I watched 'House of games' for the first time yesterday and now I think it might be my guilty secret too. Mind you, I have a long-standing relationship with 'Pointless'. blush

NanKate Thu 21-Jun-18 14:47:21

I have recently signed up for Netflix and have not been disappointed.

I recently watched on BBC IPlayer ‘Keeping Faith’ it was so popular that they are going repeat it on BBC4 so watch out for it.

On Amazon Prime I have watched 3 series of the Diana Gabaldon books Outlander. In fact I think I will watch all 3series again before series 4 is aired. The books are fab too, if you enjoy time slip stories from 1800s or is it 1700s to the C20.

petra Thu 21-Jun-18 19:04:32

All I can say is, I'm certainly getting my monies worth out of Amazon prime grin