Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Not much on TV these days

(38 Posts)
Eloethan Wed 20-Jun-18 23:43:08

Is it just me or is there a dearth of good TV programmes at the moment?

I gave up watching Eastenders some years ago because of its sheer nastiness. I have finally given up on Coronation Street after many, many years of watching. I just got so fed up with the ridiculously melodramatic and totally unrealistic plot lines. I realise that soaps do not reflect real life but there is a limit to the number of "issues" and surreal events you can cram into a week's viewing.

There are a few good documentaries - I liked the grammar/secondary modern schools series. And I still enjoy watching Holby City (the current storyline about the ethics of trialling new medical/surgical procedures is I think, quite gripping) but several evenings for the last couple of weeks I've hardly watched anything - despite the dozens of channels that are available. There haven't even been many good films.

What do others think?

alreadytaken Thu 21-Jun-18 19:51:23

We have a collection of box sets of old TV programmes and I'm currently watching reruns of MASH on TV. We did watch some of Game of Thrones - well acted but it's just too vicious.

phoenix Thu 21-Jun-18 19:55:36

Not soap watchers here, although will admit to an Archers addiction blush.

We do have Amazon prime, but perhaps don't use it as much (for TV) as we should.

Mr P tends to go to bed around 9pm, so that he gets enough sleep for when his alarm goes off at 4.30am shock

I do enjoy some of the Live at the Apollo comedy shows, also 24 hours in A&E, Gogglebox and 24 Hours in Police Custody. Other programs not currently on include Dog Rescuers, and For the love of dogs, with Paul O'Grady in Battersea Dogs Home.

Also enjoyed The Durrells, perfect Sunday evening TV!

BlueBelle Thu 21-Jun-18 20:16:39

No it’s dire nothing st all on fed up to the back teeth with sport just about watching Corrie but it’s getting sillier by the minute even Holbys daft most of the time
I don’t have Netflix or any other flix so nothing for me Thursdays are the worst night possible

Jane43 Thu 28-Jun-18 17:26:08

Eastenders is just awful now. It seems to be The Danny Dyer Show. Emmerdale is awful too, all the changing partners is sickening, as soon as a couple break up they are with somebody else, sometimes before they break up. I last enjoyed watching Emmerdale when it was the Ashley dementia storyline, superb story and a wonderful actor.

We need more series like Last Tango In Halifax, Happy Valley, Line Of Duty, War And Peace.

Jane43 Thu 28-Jun-18 17:37:40

Phoenix, I love Gogglebox. I watch the repeats all the time and also repeats of The Royle Family and Gavin and Stacey.

Bluebell, Corrie was wonderful back in the day but now - as you say silly. Characters I don’t care a fig about, rushed and unrealistic storylines. I think it is past its sell by date.

Eloethan Thu 28-Jun-18 23:10:54

Jane43 "We need more series like Last Tango In Halifax, Happy Valley, Line Of Duty, War And Peace." I'll second that - great TV, brilliant acting, especially Line of Duty.

I have recently given up on Coronation Street. It's just too silly for words. I think there is room for a quality soap with realistic plotlines.

I gave up on The Archers just at the beginning of the Rob and (can't remember her name) storyline, which did appear to be quite gripping. But I recorded one Sunday edition of the whole week's episodes and listened to it in the evening. It was then - giving it my undivided attention rather than half listening as I made the lunch - that I came to the conclusion it was boring.

Chewbacca Thu 28-Jun-18 23:21:27

Can't remember the last time I switched tv on; must be months ago. I'd rather listen to the radio on i player or read a book; anything except soap operas and endless men running across a bit of grass chasing a ball.

Jane43 Fri 29-Jun-18 12:45:55

Eloethan I’m sad that The Archers has gone the way of the tv soaps. I listened throughout childhood and early days of marriage, usually to the Omnibus edition and have fond memories of it. I think Coronation Street and Eastenders are plot driven now and they manipulate the characters’ lives and personalities to drive the plot.
To a ridiculous e It used to be the characters that drove them along. The likes of Hilda and Stan Ogden could entertain with their conversations and the wonderful two handers episodes are a thing of the past. I’m thinking of Pat Wickes and Peggy in particular. We the viewers are treated like goldfish and brief scene after brief scene is all they give us - nothing to hold our attention.

Jane43 Fri 29-Jun-18 12:51:54

Sorry my last post went prematurely as I was editing it. I wanted to say they manipulate the characters’ acts to a ridiculous extent to bring in another ridiculous story. For example Gary put lives at risk bringing Pat Phelan back to the street from Wales just so they could have Pat escape and have the ridiculous hostage situation at Michelle and Rob’s wedding. Michelle got shot and was fully recovered in a couple of days. There are so many examples of this plot driven, unrealistic nonsense I could go on at great length. I’m done with them all I’m afraid.

Eloethan Fri 29-Jun-18 22:51:08

Ever since I was a young child I've watched quite a lot of TV and I don't think it's done me much harm.

However, the programmes have been so dire over the last few weeks that most evenings I haven't even bothered to turn the TV on. Crazy isn't it, dozens and dozens of channels but nothing to watch. Now that the pay-for channels are around, there are also hardly any good films to watch.

Menopaws Sat 30-Jun-18 01:21:44

IPlayer and itv hub are good backups

mumofmadboys Sat 30-Jun-18 07:45:47

I love the Archers!