Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Unforgotten

(85 Posts)
Shirleyw Thu 21-Jun-18 05:32:21

Watched the box set on iplayer , didn't watch it first time around. I really enjoyed it ,new series 3 is starting soon I believe

annep Sat 25-Aug-18 08:50:33

I thought the ending was dull and disappointing.

callgirl1 Fri 24-Aug-18 11:29:47

I was out on Sunday night, so had to avoid all writings about Unforgotten. Watched the repeat last night, and thought it was very well done

I was out on Sunday night, , so have had to avoid all writings about Unforgotten. Watched the repeat last night, and thought it was brilliantly done. I was tossing up between the doctor and the twin sister, but I`m usually wrong, this time not. Looking forward to the next series, but why is Nicola Walker no longer in the job? Or have I misunderstood something?

Iam64 Wed 22-Aug-18 19:38:32

yes Greyduster, also to ensure his needs to be important and central to the investigation were met.

Greyduster Wed 22-Aug-18 19:37:02

As I understood it, he was drip feeding information to the police in exchange for privileges such as reading materials. Could be wrong of course.

Iam64 Wed 22-Aug-18 09:05:55

Wasn't it just old batty. I haven't read or heard any reviews. I suspect it isn't mainstream enough to get them but it's gripping isn't it. Siobhan is so good at showing changes of emotion without words. Fabulous film, should be shown at 6th form colleges to prompt discussion about the positives and negatives of Faith (and especially closed institutions which do so much damage)

oldbatty Wed 22-Aug-18 08:44:17

Iam......I saw that film. Amazing, you could hear a pin drop.

BlueBelle Wed 22-Aug-18 06:53:31

Yes that’s how I saw it too just sort of added to his psychopathic personality

tanith Wed 22-Aug-18 06:49:45

I presumed that there were indeed more killings he’d carried out over the years and was ‘dripfeeding’ them to the police to prolong his notoriety and fame as a serial killer.

Marelli Wed 22-Aug-18 01:52:20

Can someone clear this up for me, please - the murderer, at the end mentioned another place where a body was hidden. What was the significance of this? I somehow missed that bit.

Iam64 Tue 21-Aug-18 22:59:55

I saw Siobhan in a recent film, Apostacy. It’s written by a young man who was brought up as a Jehovas Witness, is filmed in Oldham, his home town. It reflects the author’s experiences of life within a closed and oppressive faith. It’s not an easy watch but is a good film, with a strong cast. Siobhan is excellent - and very Northern, oldbatty.

oldbatty Tue 21-Aug-18 21:07:31

Siobhan, possible forever Northern, bit what a varied range of characters she plays.

Iam64 Tue 21-Aug-18 17:45:47

I was disappointed with Keeping Faith, I haven't watched the final episode yet but I found her character less than convincing. It was slow and the plot a bit dotty, those gangsters were nothing like any gangsters I've ever met.

Keeley Hawes is one of those actors you can't take your eyes off and she can convincingly play very different characters. Siobhan Finnernan, more like Nicola Walker, has less voice and accent range imo than Keeley but she's brilliant nonetheless.

Brunette, the weeping during the interview was part of her characters burn out/break down. It does happen, even to the toughest people. I thought it was portrayed very well and I appreciated the quiet support from her Sergeant who could see what was happening. I hope she benefits from sick leave and returns to fight another day before long.

POGS Tue 21-Aug-18 14:53:52

merlot

I understand what you mean about Nicola Walker, I find the same with main character in the Handmaids Tale and her 'eye thingy / twitch '.

oldbatty Tue 21-Aug-18 13:22:13

Keeping Faith was pretty to look at but I never really bought into the idea of her doing her day job, looking after the children and hunting for her husband. Strange mixture.

Also the music was a bit clunky.

Brunette10 Tue 21-Aug-18 12:53:32

Blossom14. we have also been watching Keeping Faith but it is sooooo slow. Disappointed in the whole series but will have to watch it to the end now and find out where hubby has gone. Lot to come together I think.

Brunette10 Tue 21-Aug-18 12:48:50

Watched the final episode last night and so enjoyed the whole series. I personally like Nicola Walker and anything I've seen her in always enjoyed too. I did think it was a bit unprofessional as a DCI she could not control her tears when interviewing the suspect and later on the culprit but hey - ho. Think all the actors were very good, gripping drama - I just love them.

Sparklefizz Tue 21-Aug-18 11:59:40

merlot I so agree about Keely Hawes - she is fantastic and incredibly versatile.

goldengirl Tue 21-Aug-18 11:09:38

Didn't AJ play the part of Alan Bennett in the TV play The Lady in the Van? That was a brilliant piece too. I've never seen him play such a spooky part before. His part in Unforgotten was spine chilling. It was his eyes!!!! And his demeanour.

oldbatty Tue 21-Aug-18 10:24:24

Iam......sailing close to the wind my friend. I used to absolutely love her but I wasn't keen on her in the Law drama.
That thoughtful slight bite of the lip face is a bit samey?

Siobhan Finneran is one of my favourites. Very versatile.

merlotgran Tue 21-Aug-18 09:05:03

She's a one trick pony, Iam. Every part receives her stuttering, gulping delivery.

I prefer actors who can change their style to match the character. Keeley Hawes for instance can move from Line of Duty to The Durrells and you can't see the join.

BTW. I'm not the only one who isn't a NW fan on here. Maybe we all need therapy?

Iam64 Tue 21-Aug-18 08:59:37

merlotgran - how can the wonderful Nicola Walker get on your nerves? Am I right in remembering you were irritated by her in Last Tango? (If I am, it's a minor miracle given the way my memory is behaving currently). Nicola Walker is imo, nothing short of a National Treasure as well as being a wonderful actor.
Have you considered Therapy for your view of Ms Walker?!
That's my attempt at humour, not a comment that hopes to incite a Gransnet Row.

oldbatty Mon 20-Aug-18 20:51:56

Loved Nicola Walker and Stellan Skarsgård in the brilliant BBC series ' River

I loved this , so much.

merlotgran Mon 20-Aug-18 20:35:25

Just watched it on catch up having managed to avoid all reviews and this thread all day.

Brilliant!

Haven't changed my mind about Nicola Walker though. She gets on my nerves.

seacliff Mon 20-Aug-18 19:58:13

I envy anyone who hasn't seen this series yet, they have a treat in store.

varian Mon 20-Aug-18 19:31:09

A few weeks ago I met a friend and asked if she'd been watching Poldark. She said "No, there's something much better on at the same time on the other channel - Unforgotten", so I took her advice and watched the first and second series of Unforgotten, then the third series, on ITV player, just up to the point last night when I was able to watch the final episode on ITV as it was transmitted.

I should thank my friend for her recommendation - a brilliant series, and actually better than Poldark.