Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Strictly 2018

(368 Posts)
kittylester Mon 13-Aug-18 09:59:35

Well, we have to have a thread each season don't we! grin

Katie Piper was announced on Breakfast this morning. I am full of admiration for her and can't wait to see how she gets on.

henetha Mon 13-Aug-18 10:22:06

Yes, she's great isn't she. Can't wait to see who the rest of the contestants are.

Jane10 Mon 13-Aug-18 10:27:16

Who's Katie Piper? Ah. Strictly. Bound to be full of people I've never heard of.
I always used to look forward keenly to Strictly but found myself giving up on it quite early on in the last 2 series. I just didn't care enough about the contestants.

Charleygirl Mon 13-Aug-18 11:14:09

Jane I am like you, I usually have never heard of more than half of the contestants. I also do not know who Katie Piper is so that is a great start.

felice Mon 13-Aug-18 11:20:28

I was the same until I googled her, she is the young woman whose ex-boyfriend hired someone to throw Sulphuric Acid in her face.
She has gone from strength including setting up a foundation to help others.
There have been a couple of documentaries made charting her progress.

Anniebach Mon 13-Aug-18 13:48:50

Never heard of her. There has been rumours that contestants will be younger , some from that programme Love Island. If true I will not watch, I like the mixed ages as in previous series

travelsafar Mon 13-Aug-18 13:53:14

I heard there was talk that same sex couples were going to take part.

kittylester Mon 13-Aug-18 14:21:37

I'll watch it anyway. It is a lovely way to pass an autumn/winter's evening!

HildaW Mon 13-Aug-18 14:22:44

Please folks....before you say anything ....google Katie Piper.

DanniRae Mon 13-Aug-18 14:41:57

No same sex couples this year travelsafar.
I don't mind if I haven't heard of some of the contestants - I just love watching the dancing. To me it's all so joyful and, as kittylester said, a lovely way to spend an Autumn/Winter evening grin

kittylester Mon 13-Aug-18 14:43:42

hilda, felice has explained who she is.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 13-Aug-18 14:48:44

Love Strictly.

I also enjoy preparing dinner whilst listening/watching It Takes Two with Zoe Ball on BBC2 6.30pm Mon-Fri. (I think that's what it's called)

HildaW Mon 13-Aug-18 14:59:37

Yes kittylester.....I saw it too late....was just wanting to stop anyone doing the old 'foot in mouth' thing. Basically because its just what I did a couple of years ago when my DD was talking about this inspirational young lady....I had committed the cardinal sin of muddling my Katies!!! I should have known better as we have a delightful (and to my mind) inspirational Katie in our family!!!

Also being a tiddly bit of a dancer myself...a late comer to ballroom and latin I'd just like to say.....it jolly hard!

ninathenana Mon 13-Aug-18 15:16:07

Have seen articles about Katie but didn't recognise her name.
I also didn't realise the other names I have heard mentioned (can't remember any) are just rumor and that Katie is the first confirmed contestant.

Jane10 Mon 13-Aug-18 18:05:53

I suppose they'll drip feed us the names of the new lot. Its quite irritating already!

kittylester Mon 13-Aug-18 18:10:54

No Jane, it's something to look forward to! Good job we are all different.

Jane10 Mon 13-Aug-18 18:29:26

I used to look forward to it but BBC have just overdone the hype.

Charleygirl Mon 13-Aug-18 18:56:46

I prefer a mixed bag entering rather than the young and fit.

Rob Rinder to me was a hoot and I was so sad when he was eliminated. He could actually move which makes a change

Jane10 Mon 13-Aug-18 21:16:47

Me too Charleygirl! I really liked him. The older ones not the boyband/pop singer types are so much more interesting.

ninathenana Mon 13-Aug-18 23:37:08

The guy who plays the black sergeant from Death in Paradise is the 2nd one to be confirmed.

Jane10 Tue 14-Aug-18 06:28:53

The one who was in Red Dwarf? If so, he should be fun.

kittylester Tue 14-Aug-18 06:48:37

And Fay Towser (sp?) from Steps (or SClub7 - I was always confused about them)

Teetime Tue 14-Aug-18 07:00:34

I enjoy Strictly too as kitty says and it gets me nicely through to Xmas (there I have said it). Also Saturday night TV is usually dire so this makes a nice light, fun change.

OldMeg Tue 14-Aug-18 07:55:59

Daniel John-Jules is a British actor, singer and dancer. His most successful roles have been Cat in the sci-fi comedy series Red Dwarf and policeman Dwayne Myers in the crime drama Death in Paradise.

kittylester Tue 14-Aug-18 08:07:25

Faye Tozer - sorry!

I didn't watch Red Dwarf but I love Dwyane Myers in Death in Paradise.