Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Warship

(16 Posts)
Sparklefizz Wed 28-Nov-18 08:11:45

Anyone watching this? It makes me so proud of the whole ship and crew, especially of the female commander. What a responsibility and what a woman! Deeply impressed!

petra Wed 28-Nov-18 08:34:53

Sparklefizz
Absolutely loved it. My whole life has been involved with the sea. Isn't she wonderful smile
I loved the scene where the short/little Turkish pilot had to come aboard in the Bosporus and she put him well and truly in his place.
Also knowing that the Russian warship wouldn't stand a chance if push came to shove grin

Sparklefizz Wed 28-Nov-18 09:06:47

petra Me too! (I loved that scene). She was so calm and authoritative. And also during the "man overboard" scare, and of course the Russians.

I enjoyed it so much that I might watch it a 2nd time as it was such a positive programme (even though the Russians are a scary bunch)

merlotgran Wed 28-Nov-18 09:11:22

My DSiL is second in command on Duncan's sister ship so we're obviously enjoying this.

Impressed by the high proportion of women. A far cry from WW2 days when girls often joined the WRENS because they wore the smartest hats! grin

Sparklefizz Wed 28-Nov-18 09:24:06

merlotgran Well done to him .... You must be very proud!

Teetime Wed 28-Nov-18 09:49:52

Oh where is it? I watched the last series and loved it- Dad and Brother were in Royal Navy so very interested.

Alima Wed 28-Nov-18 11:07:22

The Wrens in WW11 were amazing. Ever been to Bletchley Merlot? What those women did for the war effort was beyond wonderful. I was a Wren in the 70s. Nothing like the WW11 Wrens. (Only there for the runs ashore.)

merlotgran Wed 28-Nov-18 14:29:41

Yes I have been to Bletchley Park, Alima. Well worth a visit for anyone interested in the work that went on there.

I can see why young women today are attracted to a life in the Navy. Wonderful opportunities exist in the services now. It must have changed a lot since you were a Wren in the seventies.

Sparklefizz Tue 04-Dec-18 18:23:08

Bursting with pride again after watching this week's episode! This is a good counter-balance to all the news about the "B-word" which I'm sure you're all as fed up with as I am!

NanKate Tue 04-Dec-18 19:09:03

Where will I find this programme please ?

Auntieflo Tue 04-Dec-18 19:24:50

Thanks for the heads up on this programme. We watched the first instalment on catch up , and it was brilliant. We’ve set up to record the rest of the series.

Sparklefizz Tue 04-Dec-18 19:29:18

NanKate It's on Channel 5 on Monday evenings.

Pittcity Tue 04-Dec-18 19:52:26

Really enjoying this programme. Lots of characters and a real insight into our military.

NanKate Tue 04-Dec-18 21:44:59

Thanks Sparkle I shall nip to catch up.

petra Tue 04-Dec-18 22:40:23

Who was it said there was nothing to watch on channel 5.

NanKate Thu 20-Dec-18 07:43:35

Thanks for the recommendation for this excellent series, it is proving to be to notch viewing ?