Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Shouting at the radio!

(44 Posts)
phoenix Thu 20-Dec-18 16:39:07

It's called "The Film Programme" which should be a bit of a clue, so could the participants please STOP using the term "movie"!

It was annoying me much I couldn't listen anymore!

Charlieb Sun 23-Dec-18 10:23:04

Unfortunately there are a lot of Americanisms slipping into the English language,
It really annoys me when l read in the paper the word Hacks instead of tips , I’ve also noticed in one national paper on a quite a few occasions the word Colour being spelt the American way Color ,
and what happened to the word Christmas? lm fed up with it being called holiday.
Rant over until the next time.

4allweknow Sun 23-Dec-18 10:47:22

My GD this is 6 has started saying "movie" instead of film. Must have picked this up at school as tv and computer use amounts to about an hour on a Saturday morning so no influence from those. More and more Americanisms being used daily here. With the habit of shortening words, does Emma need to be shortened to Em? I am sure in not too far distant future humans will not speak at all.

ReadyMeals Sun 23-Dec-18 10:52:03

There's no point calling them films any more unless you're talking about some old thing on a celluloid reel. That's what film is. And movie is even more out of date - going back to the time when you only had still photographs and they had just learnt to make moving pictures. These days all screen performance should be called "video". Also the term "footage" always makes me smile. How can you measure a video recording in feet?

Persistentdonor Sun 23-Dec-18 10:52:16

4allweknow your post puts me in mind of the song from 1969 "in the year 2525".

It seemed SO far off then...... tchsmile

Caro57 Sun 23-Dec-18 11:09:59

Thank you for reminding me - I loved that song.........was it a record or a disc!!!

Nanny27 Sun 23-Dec-18 11:26:18

I mentioned this on a post a few days ago. Hate the word movie. Doesnt the noun 'film' reflect the verb 'to film'?

ReadyMeals Sun 23-Dec-18 11:29:46

Nanny27 yes, and also who films things nowadays? Don't we all record straight to digital video format? Actually I am really not sure how recordings are done professionally by studios, do they still use film reels? I am not sure.

Aepgirl Sun 23-Dec-18 11:44:56

I think we’re on a hiding to nothing if we think we can stop these words creeping into our vocabulary. I have a friend who has just returned from a holiday in Australia and now keeps calling her relatives ‘the rellies’ - I pretended I didn’t know what she meant, so asked who Mr and Mrs Relly are. She wasn’t amused.

inishowen Sun 23-Dec-18 11:49:33

My granddaughter asks for popsicles and candy. A lot of the things she watches are American.

Hazy52 Sun 23-Dec-18 12:13:54

Interesting to hear granddaughters playing using American accents and saying my pet hate 'guys'. They were born in Germany and Switzerland so are fluent in German (and English) and just moved to Finland so are now using daily the language their mother talks to them in. Such a shame that they need to use American with their range of languages it is definitely from television programmes and films.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 23-Dec-18 12:26:52

On helping or giving being told 'good on you/yu' What happened to 'thank you.'?

GrannyAnnie2010 Sun 23-Dec-18 12:48:56

I'm interested to know how you feel about English words "creeping into" other languages. Also how you feel about using foreign words yourselves which now are accepted as being English.

mabon1 Sun 23-Dec-18 13:00:44

I dont care for the Americanisms creeping into the English Language my pet hate is First Up then 24/7 to name just two out of dozens.

Craftycat Sun 23-Dec-18 13:25:36

Oh I do agree. I hate the term Movies - all my GC use it as does DH ( but to be fair he did work in US for several years).
We have a beautiful rich language & it breaks my heart to hear it cheapened with all this American stuff.
Far too many US TV programmes too. My 10 year old GD now speaks with a US drawl ( but not in my house!!)

Granash Sun 23-Dec-18 13:44:14

My most annoying (and unnecessary) Americanisms: 'cookies' for biscuits, 'smart' for clever, and 'cotton candy' for candy floss.

sarahcyn Sun 23-Dec-18 13:45:17

Maybe there should be a national campaign to reintroduce "the flicks"
Or perhaps "the talkies"

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 23-Dec-18 14:10:19

I hate the phrase 'waiting in line' -it's a queue!
And I can't understand how 'cookies and milk' are supposed to go together - not in my house they don't. It's 'tea and biscuits' as we all know.
What about using the word 'around' as in I have a fear 'around' dentists? It's a fear of dentists. Do Americans use Englishisms?
Rant over.

GillT57 Sun 23-Dec-18 14:13:19

The French get irritated too when English gets absorbed into their language as in 'Le ping pong' and 'Le picnic', 'Le weekend' so it isn't only here.

mrswoo Sun 23-Dec-18 15:14:47

The use of the word “gotten” really sets my teeth on edge.

Boolya Sun 23-Dec-18 15:16:44

...... and why has train station replaced railway station? Okay, trains stop there as buses stop at a bus station, but it really annoys me. Rant over

RuthW Sun 23-Dec-18 16:16:31

I cringe at gotten and I am not a guy so don’t say guys to me

Arto1s Sun 23-Dec-18 16:25:06

As a very English woman living in the States I feel compelled to comment here. When I first settled out here more than 25 years ago I was really annoyed that my son had to now spell words the “American” way at school, and that his accent changed within weeks!! Expressions and different use of words drove me crazy. I have actually never lost my English accent at all, but over the years have stepped down from my high-horse and accepted that this is America and they speak American English here. The fact that these words are creeping into the language back in the UK is unfortunate maybe, but people have choices as to how they speak. I still use all words English over here, and of course, my American friends love it, as they love all things English!

mcem Sun 23-Dec-18 16:51:01

OTOH where would we be if we didn't absorb words from elsewhere? For instance, what would we call coffee or pyjamas etc etc without the Persian, Urdu, Dutch input?
Any suggestions for appropriate English names?

oldandbold Sun 23-Dec-18 17:00:34

I hate ‘two times’ used instead of twice, don’t know if it’s an American usage or not!