Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Shouting at the radio!

(45 Posts)
phoenix Thu 20-Dec-18 16:39:07

It's called "The Film Programme" which should be a bit of a clue, so could the participants please STOP using the term "movie"!

It was annoying me much I couldn't listen anymore!

Skweek1 Sun 23-Dec-18 17:25:48

I must admit to using "guys" - it adequately describes the 8 or so members of my over-55s choir or any other mixed group. If the 3 men who sing with us are away, we are "girls". otherwise it's "guys" or occasionally "guys and gals" - no we haven't yet succumbed to "Guys and Dolls", but we don't claim to be old, ladies and gentlemen or any other generic term, so don't know how else to describe ourselves.

garnet25 Sun 23-Dec-18 17:27:46

Boolya I agree about the use of Train Station for Railway Station, it makes me cringe as does "oftentimes" why can't they just say often!!

petalmoore Sun 23-Dec-18 17:32:38

Words have always crept. We don’t have roast cow with our Yorkshire pudding on Sundays - we eat beef. Political decisions aren’t decided in a moot hall - they are made (ideally) in Parliament. If you live in a single-storey house, you probably call it a bungalow (origin: Hindustani ‘banglā’). Our language has been shaped by the prevailing culture throughout our history - successive invaders brought their own languages with them. Beef and Parliament were introduced by the Normans when they conquered England, and the British in India adopted local words which they brought home with them - I should think the word bungalow might have seemed quite exotic when it was first used by suburban property developers. The words themselves are just words - what makes our hackles rise is when they remind us that things change, and the most annoying are those which make us feel that we are no longer in control of the English language. It is a fact that there are far more speakers of American English than there are of British English, and it’s not surprising that we can feel defensive, as though we are being invaded all over again. But people often comfortably accept foreign words that have more positive associations, for example foods originally sampled on holiday, such as paella, which might be washed down with sangria, or pizza followed by an espresso ... and either of which meals might result in the need for a siesta.

Purplepoppies Sun 23-Dec-18 17:37:15

The only real bugbear I have with the American language is the lack of plurals. I.E. if we used the word 'fixed' they would say 'fix'. It makes little sense to me.
I don't allow dgd to watch certain American programmes aimed at children. I find them too loud and mostly ridiculous. My house my rules after all. She can pull off a cracking American accent though!!!

CardiffJaguar Sun 23-Dec-18 18:19:26

We.ve had movies ever since WW2 no doubt due to the number of GIs stationed here and subsequent visits from the US. We make films but go to the movies (cinema is rarely mentioned).

Grandmama Sun 23-Dec-18 18:47:42

Does anyone go to the Pictures nowadays? It was always the Pictures in my teens and early twenties.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 23-Dec-18 19:56:13

A big YES to hating the word gotten, I hate it so much that I stopped reading books by modern day a American authors, I was reading one and it had 8 gottens on two pages. Never finished the book. Also when teaching english in SE Asia many of the children/young adults speak english with an American accent and I hate it. I pointed out to my students that to speak business english they would need to speak BBC English and they should use the BBC programmes for english conversation. Also hate the word diapers instead of nappies.

stevej4491 Sun 23-Dec-18 20:36:27

Americans don't get burgled ,they get burglarized!!!

Bijou Sun 23-Dec-18 21:59:41

I don’t like a decade or two decades instead of ten or twenty years.

Sophiesox Sun 23-Dec-18 22:18:09

I was having a similar rant about americanisms to my youngest recently, when he pointed out that actually we used to spell colour without the ‘u’ and call Autumn ‘Fall’ etc. before the Pilgrim Fathers set sail and they took all of this with them to America. However, when dictionaries were first compiled, in the eighteenth century, it was decided to standardise spellings, using Latin as the base root of English spellings! So that was me told then!

glammagran Sun 23-Dec-18 23:36:07

Eeek!! 2 of my grandkids are moving to the U.S. next year (8 and 5). I shan’t look forward to the inevitable.

Nandalot Mon 24-Dec-18 00:06:26

‘Gotten’ is actually the old version of the verb in use before the colonisation of America but it fell out of use here.

Nandalot Mon 24-Dec-18 00:08:16

I get annoyed by ‘math’. It just sounds wrong and surely the full term is mathematics so the abbreviation needs an ‘s’.

Grandma70s Mon 24-Dec-18 00:43:38

It is quite funny that someone asked if Americans use Englishisms. Their entire language (with adaptations) is pinched from us! It annoys me that it is called English, though. I refer to American English and British English.

Arto1s Mon 24-Dec-18 05:02:49

Exactly what I said in my earlier post Grandma70s

Lilyflower Mon 24-Dec-18 06:32:28

‘Can I get?’ instead of ‘can I have?’ Is a little grating, I confess and ‘box set’ when the ‘box’ part is surely adjectival and should be ‘boxed’ also makes me double take.

However, I do not mind too much and these differences remind us of the evolution of language under differing circumstances. For example, my DH is currently seething about ‘Happy Holidays’ instead of ‘Happy Christmas’ which came about to reflect a variety of festivals all set at the same time of year:- Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas and New Year.

I suppose we do not mind English English colonising the world while we are reluctant to acknowledge the cultural behemoth of American English carrying all before it and rendering us parochial.

GrannyBettie Mon 24-Dec-18 08:22:04

Train station is not a new thing. When I was in my early 20s I told my mother I was meeting a friend at the train station. Her response was “how old are you, 8? It’s railway station.” I’m now in my sixties. Maybe I mixed with the wrong crowd??

Lewie Mon 24-Dec-18 08:29:31

I enjoy listening to thrillers on audiobook written by American writers but it drives me mad to hear them pronounce ‘lived’ as ‘lie-ved’ (to rhyme with jived!). Aargh!!

ReadyMeals Wed 26-Dec-18 13:12:43

The main thing that makes me shout at the radio is when I listen to LBC and the presenters are always trying to hurry the caller along, and interupting them before they finish their sentences and then summing up their points wrongly. The presenters get a 20 minute soliloquy at the beginning of every hour, then talk between each call and STILL insist on doing more than 50% of the talking during each call. Then when a caller does try to insist on finishing the sentence, the presenters start tantrumming and shrieking "It's MY show, we do it MY way".