Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Les Miserables

(110 Posts)
Anja Sun 30-Dec-18 22:37:50

Anyone watch the first part of this drama tonight? It’s not the musical version in case anyone was wondering but straight from Victor Hugo.

merlotgran Sun 30-Dec-18 22:42:57

I enjoyed it, despite DH, who wasn't in the least bit interested, peeping out from behind his fishing magazine asking, 'Which one's Susan Boyle?' angry

Looking forward to next week's episode though.

Grannyknot Sun 30-Dec-18 22:43:49

merlot grin

I enjoyed it.

grannyticktock Sun 30-Dec-18 22:52:11

I thoroughly enjoyed it. If I hadn't seen the musical, I might have found the several strands of the story a bit confusing at this stage, but as I know how it's all going to knit together, it's a delight to see the plot and the characters fleshed out a bit more. Looking forward to the rest.

SueSocks Sun 30-Dec-18 22:58:03

I enjoyed it. Have never seen the musical or read the book. Interested to see how the 2 strands come together.

merlotgran Sun 30-Dec-18 23:07:09

I challenge any of you who have seen the musical not to sing the appropriate songs as the scenes move along. grin

cornergran Sun 30-Dec-18 23:15:24

Jury’s out here. I sort of enjoyed it and was pleased I had some understanding of the story, switched off at times though. The songs were never far from my mind, not sure if that’s helpful to this production. I’ll watch the next episode and see how I react.

Jalima1108 Sun 30-Dec-18 23:23:04

I've seen the stage version and the film and was a bit put off watching this after reading an interview with Andrew Davies, who adapted the book for this series. He was extremely disparaging about the musical versions which made me think he was a typical BBC script-writer who decides what is good for us and not what we actually like watching.

However, I enjoyed it very much and didn't think of the songs at all!

merlot grin

Eloethan Sun 30-Dec-18 23:50:00

I really loved seeing the musical at the theatre but didn't enjoy the film version of the musical - probably because although I think the songs are wonderful, most of the singing was dreadful in the film.

I'd intended to watch it tonight but remembered how depressing a story it is and decided I couldn't face it.

BlueBelle Mon 31-Dec-18 06:13:13

I loved it
Loved the musical, loved the film, love all the kids productions at schoo, now loving the drama
Look forward to next week

Sarahmob Mon 31-Dec-18 06:21:51

I really enjoyed it (although I did find myself breaking into song a couple of times ☺️)

NfkDumpling Mon 31-Dec-18 06:51:21

I think I’m enjoying it. I was trying to wade through a complicated knitting pattern at the same time and got a bit confused with all the jumping around while I wasn’t looking. I’ll pay attention in the next episode.

TerriBull Mon 31-Dec-18 08:23:32

I thought it was good, somehow it seemed better without the singing interludes, I didn't really enjoy the musical film version as much as I thought I would. Russell Crowe's singing probably had something to do with that [hmm

Auntieflo Mon 31-Dec-18 08:24:30

We both enjoyed it, and I think Merlot was sitting beside me. Hope I didn’t give her earache

sodapop Mon 31-Dec-18 08:35:17

I thought it was really good, my husband said it was the best thing he had seen on TV over Christmas, that surprised me. Looking forward to next week's episode.
Merlot that was funny grin

Luckygirl Mon 31-Dec-18 08:44:52

I have read the book, seen the show, watched the film (all of which were good), and I have to say I thought last night's first episode was excellent. Looking forward to next week.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 31-Dec-18 09:03:06

I struggled with it.

I have seen the show about 8 times and absolutely love it. I will probably watch next weeks to see if it draws me in.

Labaik Mon 31-Dec-18 10:02:44

The programme about Andrew Davies which followed it was very interesting. I'd forgotten some of the amazing things he's done, and hadn't realised he'd been a teacher for many years.

annep Mon 31-Dec-18 10:27:17

I enjoyed it very much and look forward yo next episode. Best thing on telly recently as Mr Sodapop said.
The film with Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush was good too. I didnt like the musical ( fell asleep watching it in London.) or Russell Crowe's musical.

henetha Mon 31-Dec-18 10:33:30

I so much loved the musical that I decided I couldn't bear to watch it without the music. Perhaps I'm wrong though as it sounds good from what you say.

PECS Mon 31-Dec-18 10:36:51

I enjoyed it so far! I have seen the musical film which was OK and DGDs school production which of course was wondeful grin. Will stick with it.

grannyticktock Mon 31-Dec-18 10:38:20

I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I thought I would miss the songs, but I really didn't. Do give it a try, Henetha, it's terrific!

henetha Mon 31-Dec-18 10:43:07

I think I will, grannyticktock.....

JessK Mon 31-Dec-18 11:19:47

I thought it was very good and atmospheric. I've not seen the musical but did read the book and this TV version is very true to the book.

BlueBelle Mon 31-Dec-18 11:26:00

Henetha just see it as a new drama and try not to tie it in with what you ve aktoready seen I thought the acting of Jean Valjean was excellent especially when he was with the priest