Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Gritty Northern Drama

(32 Posts)
NanKate Sat 26-Jan-19 21:12:17

Just watched season 1 (2 episodes) of the Field of blood on Amazon Prime. It’s not for the fainted hearted but I thought it was excellent. It is set in a newspaper office in 1982. Very unpolitical but reflected those times. Just about to watch season 2.

This series was recommended in today’s newspaper.

Iam64 Sat 26-Jan-19 21:53:29

Sounds good, thanks for the recommendation. I sometimes find it hard to identify the interesting dramas on Netflix or amazon

sodapop Sat 26-Jan-19 22:07:09

Are there ever any gritty southern dramas ?

Jalima1108 Sat 26-Jan-19 22:20:40

I was thinking exactly the same thing sodapop!

Jalima1108 Sat 26-Jan-19 22:23:14

Eee by gum, there's grit oop north, not like them soft southerners

(I can say that because I stand exactly in the middle grin)

petra Sat 26-Jan-19 22:53:56

NanKate
Right up my street: not for faint hearted and very unpolitical grin
Just watched the latest episode of The Vikings, love it.

NanKate Sun 27-Jan-19 20:31:24

It’s set in Glasgow, I think, hence the northern bit. I tell you if you came down to my area of the south east there are many towns which could reflect some grittiness, eg Slough, apologies to anyone who lives there. There were areas of High Wycombe where I used to teach and I was worried if I would still have the tyres left on my car when I finished work.

I’ll try the Vikings Petra. Thanks.

sodapop Sun 27-Jan-19 21:30:36

Well, apologies given for calling the South gritty but its ok for the North. Thus it ever was.

pensionpat Sun 27-Jan-19 22:33:27

Watched Season 1 and enjoyed it. DH struggled to make out the accents though.

Iam64 Mon 28-Jan-19 08:11:51

I've read some of the novels written by the writer of this drama - very dark but excellent, as was this series.
By the way, I see "the north" as the north west and north east and Scotland as, well Scotland.
I also see Mina's writing as Scottish noir, rather than gritty North.
We're all doomed!

Anniebach Mon 28-Jan-19 09:06:13

I find North and South of England confusing More so when Scotland Is brought into it.

TerriBull Mon 28-Jan-19 09:09:17

I remember a great northern drama from a while back aptly name "Our Friends In The North" featuring a relatively unknown Daniel Craig. It was set against a 60s backdrop and the advent of tower block homes when they were considered the answer to overcrowding and slum dwellings. As the story progressed it became apparent the dream had turned into a nightmare for those who took up residence in these flats. There was more to it than that, but it was a while ago so I've forgotten the finer detail, nevertheless I thought it was very good at the time.

Iam64 Mon 28-Jan-19 09:19:43

TerriBull - Our Friends in the North remains one of my all time favourite drama's. Just brilliant and your post has prompted me to see if it's available on something like Netflix.
We need more good drama on tv.

Greyduster Mon 28-Jan-19 09:41:56

It puts me in mind of the wonderful Victoria Wood sketch shemdid with Jim Broadbent where he is a writer waxing lyrical about how wonderful the gritty north is and how it shaped his life and his writing. “So where do you live, then?” she asks. “Islington,” he says!

Iam64 Mon 28-Jan-19 09:47:28

Greyduster - Victoria Wood, what a gem she was. That quote made me smile (again)

TerriBull Mon 28-Jan-19 09:57:02

Yes Iam I think we were riveted by it at the time, I remember "Don't Look Back In Anger" playing out over the credits right at the end, which links to another drama with an Oasis song, The Royal Family, a wonderfully well observed sit. com, where nothing much happened but nevertheless excellent and northern too smile Sad that the wonderful Caroline Aherne is no longer with us, what a talent she was, right up there with the much missed Victoria Wood.

trisher Mon 28-Jan-19 10:20:00

"Our Friends in the North" is a great drama about Tyneside and the progress of working class politics. It launched the careers of Mark Strong and Daniel Craig. It is brilliant!

NanKate Mon 28-Jan-19 13:16:06

Sorry if I have offended anyone by my description of this series. Perhaps ‘Gritty Drama set in Glasgow’would have been more appropriate.

Iam64 Mon 28-Jan-19 13:30:52

No offence taken here in the North West NanKate, I enjoyed the meandering chat about what constitutes 'the north'. For my southern relatives, it's north of Watford of course

Fennel Mon 28-Jan-19 14:19:40

I was going to mention Our Friends in the North too Iam.
Best ever imo.

Jalima1108 Mon 28-Jan-19 14:23:32

gritty meaning:
'showing courage and resolve'

Lily65 Sat 02-Feb-19 22:17:19

I like The Syndicate and Ordinary Lies.

Urmstongran Sat 02-Feb-19 22:22:20

sodapop ??

pensionpat Sat 02-Feb-19 22:26:51

Other actors in Our Friends from the North are Gina McKee and one of the Doctor Who s Can’t remember his name. Very well thought of. N

Cherrytree59 Sat 02-Feb-19 22:28:15

Our Friends in the North was a firm favourite.
Watched Gina Mckee recently (cant remember what in) she hasn't changed and is still a good performer.