Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Great British Sewing Bee

(67 Posts)
shysal Tue 05-Feb-19 19:19:03

I am thrilled to see in my new Radio Times that this is back next Tuesday. The judges are the same (I love Patrick) but Claudia Winkleman has been replaced by comedian Joe Lycett. I am looking forward to seeing what challenges they come up with this time.

Jane43 Tue 05-Feb-19 20:14:40

I love this programme too, something to look forward to.

M0nica Tue 05-Feb-19 20:28:31

I love it but wish they would bring May Martin back rather than the lady they had last year. Patrick was the fashion expert and May was the needlework expert. Now they just have two fashion experts.

Treebee Tue 05-Feb-19 21:10:58

Such an inspiring and interesting programme. I’m so glad it’s returning.

JessK Tue 05-Feb-19 21:15:42

Really looking forward to the programme next week. It's been too long since the last series. I like the interaction between the competitors giving each other support.

Patsy70 Tue 05-Feb-19 21:50:28

Great! I love this programme and will look for inspiration.

Nandalot Tue 05-Feb-19 22:40:17

Yes, I am always impressed by what they manage to achieve in the time.

Bathsheba Tue 05-Feb-19 22:48:49

I have this in my iPhone calendar with an alert so I don't forget! Been looking forward to its return for a long time - but I do agree with M0nica that I wish May Martin was back in the show, or at the very least another expert needlewoman/man rather than two fashionistas. I'm loathe to call Esme Young a 'fashion expert' after some of the hideous getups she's worn in previous shows

MaggieTulliver Wed 06-Feb-19 01:13:41

I love it too, even though my dressmaking skills are non-existent! Patrick has such a lovely manner about him and am looking forward to Joe Lycett being at the helm. I really wish I could make my own clothessad

Beechnut Wed 06-Feb-19 06:34:39

I’m looking forward to it ?

craftergran Wed 06-Feb-19 07:24:08

I have been waiting for this to come back on. I love watching them making their creations. What talent.

travelsafar Wed 06-Feb-19 08:00:29

So glad this is back again and more importantly is on a channel with no adverts.!! Its going to be fun seeing the creations that the sewers come up with. Well done BBC for
another great program.

Auntieflo Wed 06-Feb-19 09:02:02

Thanks for the reminder of when it is to be on. I will set up to record the series. I haven't done any dressmaking for ages, apart from a baby's dress, but do love sewing.
May Martin was so good, it would be nice to see her return, I don't know who Joe Lycett is, but looking forward to finding out.

Urmstongran Wed 06-Feb-19 09:07:28

I love this programme yet I can’t sew for toffee! I love the ideas the contestants come up with - everyone so talented yet such different ideas!
I do agree with MOnica it might not be as good without a sewing expert explaining the whys and wherefores.

Gettingitrightoneday Sat 02-Mar-19 17:02:43

I keep missing this but it is really good. The jeans and trousers are so difficult to get right in the correct places.
I am lucky that I can get a fairly good fit from M&S jeans.

I would not even try making trousers.

Luckygirl Sat 02-Mar-19 19:56:53

Not keen on Joe Lycett - too much innuendo. Not necessary at all.

And I agree there needs to be a real sewing expert as a judge.

I do not like the against the clock element - it is a test of how fast they can sew, rather than how well.

Farmor15 Sat 02-Mar-19 20:06:14

Watched some of it this afternoon- 70s maxi dresses which I remembered making. Some used old patterns and commented on how much smaller people/sizes were. From what I remember, size 10 was 22” waist and size 12, 24”.

The results were pretty good, given the limited time.

Bathsheba Sun 03-Mar-19 00:06:54

Are you sure Farmor? I was a size 12 in the 60s and my waist was 26”. I remember being a standard size for RTW clothing. I had a friend with a 24” waist who bought size 10.

storynanny Sun 03-Mar-19 00:35:46

Yes size 10 was definiely 22" waist. I was small but had a " big" waist , all of 26"! So had to buy a size 14 in anything fitted around the waist.
I bought a skirt ladt summer, size 12 and the waist measured 33"
I remember clearly making a maxidress in o level needlework 1973 just like one on thos weeks programme. The one with the shaped bit at the front waist. I got 9 out of 10 for it.

storynanny Sun 03-Mar-19 00:36:53

I was surprised that oneone bashed the seams flat before machining the denim.

storynanny Sun 03-Mar-19 00:37:10

No one I meant

Larissa67 Sun 03-Mar-19 02:40:04

I 'sew' enjoy this programme! It inspired me to try making my own clothes again, as I used to do as a teenager. I was especially impressed by the young woman who cut straight from the fabric without using a pattern.

BlueBelle Sun 03-Mar-19 06:42:55

I was never smaller than 26” waist and was a 12

Bathsheba Sun 03-Mar-19 08:09:47

Oh, good to see you remember the sizing that way too BlueBelle smile

Bathsheba Sun 03-Mar-19 08:13:30

I remember back then we couldn’t buy jeans made specifically for women, so had to buy men’s jeans. Because of their different waist to hip ratio, I had to get 30” waist, so that they’d fit on my 38” hips. The waist always had to be belted, although it sat a little lower than my waistline.