Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Paxo on the Queens Children.

(51 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 06-Feb-19 10:21:04

Nothing we didn't already know but I liked his approach.

No sycophant, he.

Anniebach Wed 06-Feb-19 10:31:35

?

merlotgran Wed 06-Feb-19 10:35:41

Channel 5 last night, Annie

Anniebach Wed 06-Feb-19 10:46:06

Thank you merlot

Jane10 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:48:08

The title said it all for me. Paxo = acerbic/unpleasant. The title 'The Queen's Children' also indicated the likely negative underlying attitude. Result- didn't bother to watch it. Life's too short.
PS 'The Crown' was very good.

HildaW Wed 06-Feb-19 10:52:15

I saw the trailers for this...he shouts...'What are they for?'.....I could ask....what is he for?

Am happy to have a wonderfully dysfunctional family with a long tradition as head of state...or whatever they are....The alternative is having a President voted in every now and again....and we all know where that ends......!!!!!

Framilode Wed 06-Feb-19 11:00:35

I watched it last night and felt very sorry for Prince Charles and I think Paxman did as well. He had a horrible life when he was young. To me it seems as if the effects of this are still visible today.

I don't think the Queen and Philip deliberately set out to make him unhappy I just think they are people without much imagination or empathy and find it difficult to understand someone with a different mindset to their own.

paddyann Wed 06-Feb-19 11:09:29

I agree with Paxman and I never thought I'd say that WHAT ARE THEY FOR?

People especially people on here focus on the bad presidents but there are and have been far more who are good at their jobs ,who dont cost a fortune who dont have security or homes for their children and GC and who dont get massive rises while hoarding billions of pounds worth of STUFF bought with taxpayers money.THEY have to be accountable to their electorate .Time the monarchy was gone its a medieval concept in a modern world NO ONE should be born to be a superior to the rest of the country ,its patently ridiculous .

janeainsworth Wed 06-Feb-19 11:12:18

No need to shout, paddyann.
We can hear you already.

merlotgran Wed 06-Feb-19 11:12:40

HildaW

To quote Paxman,

'I used to believe that Britain should be a republic. Now I'm Monarchist.'

The trailers might make you think the programme is going to be critical but it's far from it.

merlotgran Wed 06-Feb-19 11:16:09

You clearly didn't watch it, Paddyann because you'd be disagreeing with Paxo who thinks that decades of interviewing politicians have made him realise that the role of Britain's figurehead should be kept out of the hands of those who would actually want the job.

Neatly put!

Lily65 Wed 06-Feb-19 12:08:26

Yes, what is Paxo for and while we're at it what are Clarkson and his sidekick for ?

Alima Wed 06-Feb-19 12:15:34

I think the answer is 42 Lily65.

Lily65 Wed 06-Feb-19 12:48:55

I was thinking it was K.

Miep1 Wed 06-Feb-19 13:17:08

Why are the Royal Family being sprinkled with stuffing mix?!!!

Day6 Wed 06-Feb-19 13:43:29

the role of Britain's figurehead should be kept out of the hands of those who would actually want the job.

I have to agree with this. Imagine the populist vote? The winner of X Factor might be considered, or Beckham, or Holly Willoughby. grin

I jest, but I'd rather have Her Maj than the likes of Tony Blair, Corbyn, Cameron, etc.

I do agree that we confer honour and privilege on far too many minor royals who may work the odd day in opening something, but for the best part swan around/holiday in a life of wealth and privilege. Harry and Megan come to mind, now that he is far removed from being heir to the crown. The royal family, imo, are a bit like a tree that needs quite a few branches lopping off.

Anniebach Wed 06-Feb-19 14:18:43

The problem for the children of the monarch or her heir is there is little they can do apart from the armed forces , their names would be used for publicity if they took employment .

Jalima1108 Wed 06-Feb-19 15:17:04

I agree with Paxman
paddyann smile

hoarding billions of pounds worth of STUFF bought with taxpayers money.
Do you have evidence that anything they own themselves (as apart from State-owned) has been bought with taxpayers' money?

I would question the validity of that statement.

Lily65 Wed 06-Feb-19 15:19:00

Miep, funny.

Jalima1108 Wed 06-Feb-19 15:28:24

I think that the RF has been pruned quite drastically Day6 - at least those in receipt of any money for duties they carry out on behalf of HM.
Apparently that is a cause of an argument between Charles and Andrew because the latter wants more of a public role for his daughters and Charles is resisting.

HM receives a certain sum (Sovereign Support Grant) each year for the duties which the (pruned) RF carries out from the proceeds of the Crown Estate.
The Crown Estate manages the assets of Britain's reigning monarch. It is not the private property of the monarch, and cannot be sold. Instead, it is run as if it were a business and pays all profit back into the public purse. In 2009/10 it handed £211 million to the Treasury.

I think the amount received went up from 15% of the profits of the Crown Estate to 25% to cover the cost of renovating Buckingham Palace.

I can't imagine a President wanting to live in a leaky, draughty old Palace. Oh no, he or she would want a new one built at taxpayers' expense.

BlueBelle Wed 06-Feb-19 21:16:57

I thought this was going to be about sage and onion stuffing

PECS Wed 06-Feb-19 21:27:54

What are they for?? I suppose they are for keeping devoted royalists busy making scrapbooks, collecting mugs and buying Hello! type magazines! Oh and creating debates on forum! Otherwise not sure what they are for, any more than my DDs are 'for' anything! grin

Jalima1108 Wed 06-Feb-19 21:33:49

Why are we here? What is the meaning of life?
What are we for?
What's it all about? (Alfie?)

merlotgran Wed 06-Feb-19 21:36:22

In a hereditary monarchy there has to be children.

That's what they're for.

Anniebach Wed 06-Feb-19 21:47:05

Surely we ask what an object is for not a human being