Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Endeavour

(134 Posts)
Sparklefizz Mon 11-Feb-19 08:49:43

Is it just me or did the storyline of Endeavour last night seem far-fetched and ridiculous?

gulligranny Thu 07-Mar-19 21:59:00

Just like Cheesey - we thought it was great stuff, a bit Magnificent Seven (minus a few). Good old fashioned values and standing up to the bullies, Fred & Win back together and the wonderful, heroic, upstanding, simply splendid Mr. Bright back where he needs to be. Oh how I love him! OH was a bit worried about Dr de Bryn being bumped off but remembered that the older version also appeared in "Morse", so that was all right. So glad there'll be another series.

loopyloo Tue 05-Mar-19 21:08:50

Just seen that last episode! Brilliant. Loved it when those two turned up to support Morse.

seacliff Tue 05-Mar-19 20:54:07

It was all wrapped up a bit neatly, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I had expected at least one of the "goodies" to be killed.

I have somehow only just got into Endeavour, and have wanted to watch the previous programmes. I can't find series 1 now, I've watched series 2 , and series 3 is just starting on ITV3. It's not an ideal way to watch!

I think Shaun Evans is great in the role (agreed not mad about the moustache though).

Sparklefizz Tue 05-Mar-19 20:35:50

I thought the ending was a pantomime - totally ludicrous, like the Wild West. Someone mentioned that it was only Clint Eastwood who was missing! John Thaw would be turning in his grave methinks.

Floradora9 Tue 05-Mar-19 15:08:53

I feel Thursday got off very lightly just handing back the money and straight into a new job . If you have never read the Morse books do give them a try. Colin Dexter was a great writer and such an intelegent man .

LadyGracie Mon 04-Mar-19 22:21:56

We watched the final episode of this series tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it, we're already looking forward to the next one.

Speaking of good TV series I've read today that Happy Valley and Last Tango in Halifax are also coming back grin

NanKate Mon 04-Mar-19 21:14:03

Brilliant, poignant acting in that final episode, the best of the lot. Pleased to hear there will be a new series next year.

I can understand your unsettled feeling Gettingit, hope you are ok.

Ilovecheese Mon 04-Mar-19 15:34:36

I'm with you Cheesey I absolutely loved it!

littleflo Mon 04-Mar-19 15:16:18

I enjoyed it too. Although it was all a bit pat, I thought Thursday was to be killed so I am content with how it ended. I don’t like too much realism

Cheesey Mon 04-Mar-19 15:04:32

I am completely ignoring the plot holes and unrealistic ending because I absolutely loved last night's episode.
Great acting from Shaun Evans, Roger Allam and Anton Lesser. I think the strength of the programme is that you feel invested in the characters and care what happens to them.
I wanted to stand up and cheer when the four good men came together in the end.

Jabberwok Mon 04-Mar-19 14:53:11

Well, as always I loved it!! So glad that Win and Fred are reconciled! It wasn't the money!! It was loss of communication! what a relief! As it turned out, being in the pelican crossing advertisement saved Superintendent Brights life! Thank goodness for low level stardom!! So sad about his wife though. Concrete cancer takes about 10/15 years before a building actually collapses, and I think this high rise was virtually new!!! but no matter!!! Corruption in high places? well, I expect there probably was in those far off days, if my memory serves me correctly!!

Charleygirl5 Mon 04-Mar-19 09:34:43

Eloethan the writing could not get much worse so the next series should be better. I enjoyed last night's episode, major holes and all.

Eloethan Mon 04-Mar-19 09:23:40

I have been disappointed with this series - difficult to believe plots, lots of miserable faces and, as someone else said, some lazy characterisations.

I thought last night's episode was better than most and at least it had a reasonably positive - though over dramatic and rather silly - ending.

I will watch the next series in the hope that the writing improves. It will be such a waste to see a really good series, with some really well drawn characters, descend into mediocrity.

Gettingitrightoneday Mon 04-Mar-19 08:41:40

The plot may have some holes in it but I do enjoy it.

A detective who knows ahead what the days sandwich will be. Roger Allam is brilliant.

I still do a double take when (Anton Lesser) Inspector Bright appears. He looks so like my late father it is uncanny and a bit unsettling .

LullyDully Mon 04-Mar-19 08:07:44

A strange episode. All the mighty four needed was Clint Eastwood. The ends tied up, Morse has his car and his house. Smile contentedly and roll the credits.

Are there more to come or was it the end of the programme?

Gettingitrightoneday Sun 03-Mar-19 23:38:13

I have just finished watching it.
Given how dangerous the situation would have been in tonights episode I found it a bit too cosy. I would doubt if he would have been able to get the gangs off his back that easily.

AyjayF Sun 03-Mar-19 22:07:26

I loved that end to the series. Just when it looked like nearly everyone was corrupt.
I was so so happy Win + Fred stayed together.Love them!

paddyann Sun 03-Mar-19 22:05:55

So pleased Fred came good, he was always such a great character and for him to be "bent" didn't work for me .I can look forward to the next series now .

Jane10 Sun 03-Mar-19 21:56:53

Well that was more like it! Good episode and all set up for the next series. smile

leyla Sun 03-Mar-19 15:53:04

I have loved them all! Long may it run...but yes, I also prefer him sans moustache.

Jane10 Sun 03-Mar-19 15:47:34

Last in the series tonight. Fingers crossed its better than the previous episodes.

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Mar-19 10:06:45

Abigail Thaw plays Dorothea Frazil and apparently frazil means ice crystals that form in turbulent water - not quite solid ice.

Luckygirl Sun 03-Mar-19 09:56:56

Watched the episode about the Happy Families cards on catch-up last night. Now that really was silly - drowning in chocolate too. As someone has already pointed out it is more like Midsomer Murders now.

NanKate Sun 03-Mar-19 09:16:39

I didn’t know either Beau I think she is good in the part.

Beau Sat 02-Mar-19 22:32:27

I didn't realise until this week that John Thaw's daughter plays the newspaper editor in Endeavour - how did I miss that? ?