Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

BAFTAs Is Joanna Lumley really the best we can do?

(17 Posts)
trisher Mon 11-Feb-19 18:11:40

I watched the start of the BAFTAs last night with a mixture of anger and embarrassment. JL read her way through a dire speech with the most unfunny jokes I have ever heard. It is great that a woman is presenting but surely we could have someone with a bit of wit and intelligence, who if the speech she is given is so bad she could ad-lib a bit. Sandi Toksvig comes to mind. The jokes were terrible and whoever wrote them should be sacked, but JL seemed unaware and simply ploughed on. She may look good for her age and be a style icon but she doesn't seem to have any wit at all. It's time she went.

Nanabilly Mon 11-Feb-19 18:43:05

I do not watch anything with JL in it because I can't stand the woman!
She may be a perfectly nice person to know but the JL we see on tv is not my cup of tea. Her huge mouth and horse like teeth are in my opinion ugly and not nice to see on tv. I just don't see the attraction of her looks or her acting or presenting skills.

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 18:50:33

She irritates me

Bridgeit Mon 11-Feb-19 18:52:37

Sadly I think she may be stuck in her Abfab persona, which is a shame because she is a very intelligent capable person.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Feb-19 18:56:53

I can’t watch these award shows they are all so false and over the top with ridiculous speeches not a down to earth person amongst them

Cherrytree59 Mon 11-Feb-19 19:06:49

Didn't watch the BAFTAs, liked her in AbFab
She campaigned on behalf of the Gurkhas .

Annie She gave an interview to the Radio Times and although she didn't say which way voted, she did say she was supportive of those who voted to leave the EU.
Whoops mentioned Brexit wink

EllanVannin Mon 11-Feb-19 19:47:50

What an embarrassment ! Yes, Sandi Toksvig would have been ideal or for a livelier presentation, Jo Brand to show them all up.

trisher Mon 11-Feb-19 20:01:48

I thought of Jo Brand as well, but then thought she.might just be so sarcastic it would offend people. There are witty and clever women who would do the job so much better.

NanaandGrampy Mon 11-Feb-19 21:16:39

Was a JL just a safe, relatively inoffensive choice? We’re so afraid to offend anyone .

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 21:32:46

Cherry naughty step now please x

KatyK Mon 11-Feb-19 21:35:26

She was awful (in my opinion).

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 21:45:05

She certaintly needs to find a scipt writer

Maggiemaybe Mon 11-Feb-19 22:26:32

Oh. I thought she did all right. I’m not a big fan usually, but I said to DH yesterday that I had to admit that she suited this sort of role. I think she looks very good, even without adding “for her age”, but wouldn’t criticise anyone on the basis of their looks!

Jomarie Mon 11-Feb-19 22:56:21

I think she has become a victim of her own success and because of that is like a fish out of water. I feel sorry for the woman that she actually is and the persona that she has been made to accept as opposed to the real actress that she undoubtedly is.confused I know what I mean but not sure anyone else will understand........

KatyK Tue 12-Feb-19 09:50:15

I assume the script was written for her but she was very sycophantic.

henetha Tue 12-Feb-19 11:02:07

Well, I am going to defend Joanna here. She's a lovely lady, i.m.h.o. But I have to admit she was a bit underwhelming at the Baftas. Bring on Jo Brand! Or bring back Stephen Fry!

1inamillion Tue 12-Feb-19 11:56:23

Yes Stephen Fry or Sandi Toksvig please.
Joanna Lumley always looks as if she has someone else's teeth in - like - was it Dick Emery's vicar.
Never understood her appeal.