Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Question Time with Fiona Bruce

(67 Posts)
Marilla Thu 28-Feb-19 23:48:50

Are any other Gransnetters becoming frustrated with Fiona Bruce’s style of chairing the panel? She never gives each guest a fair opportunity to respond and continually pulls silly faces and sneers at her guests.

Sussexborn Fri 01-Mar-19 00:09:33

Have only seen a little of her interview technique but not impressed at all. She fluffs her words and lacks the strength of character needed to take on the weaselling politicians. I bet they are very happy with her appointment.

1inamillion Fri 01-Mar-19 07:45:03

Not keen on her style of chairing the panel, she lacks gravitas.
DH and I can't stand her on Antiques Roadshow either, that squeaky voice which she doesn't use on Question Time. We tape it now and fast forward her bits.

RosieLeah Fri 01-Mar-19 09:39:39

That sort of programme really does bring out the worst in people. The hosts tend to forget just what the programme is all about...interviewing people and getting different views on current affairs. They think they are the star of the show and the only opinion that really matters is theirs.

paddyann Fri 01-Mar-19 10:32:40

They needed a host that was IMPARTIAL and thats something they haven't had for a very long time .Dimbleby was bad enough but Bruce is a disaster ,get someone who can keep THEIR opinions to themselves and their faces straight not scowling and sneering at folk they dont like

trisher Fri 01-Mar-19 11:31:48

Stopped watching. I hate to say it because she is the first woman to do anything like this but she was the wrong choice. What you realise is TV still chooses women on the basis of their attractiveness and not how competent they are. Kirsty Wark might have done it better. But I think they should have done as other programmes have and had a series of guest hosts until they found someone who could do the job properly.

lemongrove Fri 01-Mar-19 11:35:24

I agree that Kirsty Wark would do it better.
Yes, RosieLeah so many presenters think the show is inly about themselves, Jo Coburn and Peston are two examples.

annodomini Fri 01-Mar-19 11:48:02

I gave up watching QT long ago because the questions were so predictable as were the answers given by the chosen panel. Likewise Any Questions on Radio 4.

EllanVannin Fri 01-Mar-19 12:10:16

It's definitely not the same with Fiona Bruce. I get the distinct impression that she's not comfortable with the job and her interrupting is more a justification of her position than an interest in what she's doing.
It's uncomfortable watching her " trying " !

Bridgeit Fri 01-Mar-19 12:42:16

I agree, last night was probably the worst one so far. Hopefully it will improve & get back on track.
Any suggestions, mine would be Jeremy Paxman

Bridgeit Fri 01-Mar-19 12:43:32

For a new presenter I mean.

EllanVannin Fri 01-Mar-19 13:15:32

Yes Bridgeit, it needs someone with some " oomph " and quickfire.

yggdrasil Fri 01-Mar-19 14:30:29

When you know the audience is 'picked' and the guests are usually unbalanced, you give up even watching QT

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Mar-19 14:59:57

Stopped watching QT over a year ago, too staged as far as audiences and an unbalanced panel.

POGS Fri 01-Mar-19 18:32:17

I don't mind Fiona Bruce , I was getting tired of Dimbleby . My issue with Question Time has always been the imbalance of the panel.

Always 5 panelists 3 left and 2 right of politics. It should be either 2 left 2 right or 3 left 3 right of politics.

Jane43 Fri 01-Mar-19 18:40:37

I agree with the criticism of Fiona Bruce, she has not been a good choice. David Dimbleby was getting very grumpy but somebody like Kirsty Wark would be a good replacement. The lady who presents Daily Politics on BBC2 would be very good as well, her name escapes me I will have to look it up.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Mar-19 18:41:01

Here's the application form to join the audience - and I thought they were just picked at random!!

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5vyK2GwYrdQGFvCJyKNfZhn/join-the-question-time-audience/contact

Jane43 Fri 01-Mar-19 18:41:33

Jo Coburn is the lady I was thinking of.

Jabberwok Fri 01-Mar-19 18:56:47

Well, I love Fiona Bruce particularly on the Antiques programmes, and Fake or Fortune. QT is imo pass its sell by date and whoever chairs it has got an uphill battle, but I like her on that too!

PamelaJ1 Fri 01-Mar-19 21:45:07

Jalima- I thought it would be interesting to go to a recording when it was near us.
I looked at the form and changed my mind.
I’ve just caught up on last nights episode.
So depressing, all of it.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Mar-19 23:00:45

I thought you just put your name, phone numbers, perhaps address on the application form.
hmm

Mind you, you could make up anything

Lazigirl Sat 02-Mar-19 10:08:43

You could make things up Jalima but I guess they have to attempt a balanced audience. What else could they do? I am so disappointed in Fiona Bruce as chair, after being pleased that a woman had been chosen for the role. I was so irritated in the first episodes by her constant interruptions, and it seems to be all about her as a tv "celebrity" so I have given up watching. I am inclined to agree with trisher that TV still chooses women on the basis of their looks.

Jalima1108 Sat 02-Mar-19 10:18:48

I presume that prospective audience members don't have to go through this rigmarole if applying for eg A Question of Sport, HIGNFYetc!

I quite like her presenting the Antiques Road Show and was looking forward to a change from Dimbleby, but confess I haven't stayed up to watch it for a couple of weeks - not particularly because of Fiona.

varian Sat 02-Mar-19 10:20:36

Audience selection for Question Time has been done for the last twenty years by Alison Fuller Pedley job title ‘Audience Producer at BBC Question Time’, and member of the British Patriotic Front Facebook group. She also promotes ‘Britain First’ online."

www.facebook.com/cpbfreedom/posts/step-forward-alison-fuller-pedley-job-title-audience-producer-at-bbc-question-ti/1155709694524420/

But it’s not just the facebook group. Far-right Islamophobe Douglas Murray is “always a great panellist” on Question Time, Pedley writes. She “likes” far-right journalists Melanie Phillips and “shock jock” Jon Gaunt. In May, she “liked” a clip of Nigel Farage obliquely excusing violence. The same month, she encouraged Brexiteers “Better Off Out” and UKIP South Leicestershire to join a Channel 4 audience. In 2008, she invited two Republican groups to apply for a US Question Time audience. It seems these right-wing groups are the only ones Pedley publicly contacted.

www.opendemocracy.net/ourbeeb/tim-holmes/is-question-time-s-audience-producer-really-fascist

GillT57 Sat 02-Mar-19 10:29:14

That's interesting Varian. It is obvious to me that the audience have to be selected as best as is possible or presumably one large group could all turn up and then dictate how the show goes. I quite like Fiona Bruce and the way she stops windbag on the panel from dominating but I have to admit to being seriously disappointed with the author (Lionel) who wrote the wonderful book 'we need to talk about Kevin".