Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Radio 2

(35 Posts)
lacemaker Sat 16-Mar-19 10:50:45

I am becoming very disappointed in radio 2 as it’s music genre seems to have changed from easy listening to disco/rap. I’ve lost count of the number of times I have had to turn it off whilst driving because it’s just a noise coming out. I don’t want to listen to classical music or rap. I’m at a loss for what channel I can listen to, especially in the car.
Any ideas please

Lilypops Sat 16-Mar-19 11:23:34

Me too Lacemaker, I haven't listened to morning Radio Two much since Sir Terry Wogan passed away , didn't like Chris Evans manic shouty style , Zoe Ball shouts a lot and gets very excitable , and I agree the music is not easy listening at all , it's more like Radio One ,

MiniMoon Sat 16-Mar-19 11:42:34

I agree too. The days of the Light Programme are long gone. Radio 2 used to be my favourite station in the car. These days I listen to Classic fm.

gillybob Sat 16-Mar-19 11:59:40

I’ve been off Radio 2 for some time now. I couldn’t stand Chris (ego) Evans and much prefer my local BBC station (Radio Newcastle) where all the presenters are down to earth and “normal”.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Mar-19 12:55:32

I rarely listen to the radio, only in the car and DH says that Radio 2 has turned into Radio 1.

I tend to listen to Radio 4 or my local radio station now.

merlotgran Sat 16-Mar-19 13:04:41

I wouldn't want the Light Programme back again. It was so boring. Radio 2 has to cater for the kind of listeners we were twenty or so years ago as well as those of us the wrong side of seventy. Music moves on.

I still listen to Ken Bruce when I'm doing the housework or pottering in the greenhouse.

kittylester Sat 16-Mar-19 13:05:56

I love listening to Radio 2 but only really like Ken Bruce and Steve Wright!! The music is, I imagine, evolving as the listeners move from Radio 1 although my adult children listen to Radio 6 and it's my grandchildren who listen to Radio 1.

I hope Radio 2 continues to stay a bit more with it - there are radio stations that play music from our era.

shysal Sat 16-Mar-19 13:09:07

At the age of 72 I am still a Radio 1 fan. Most of it is easy listening and I much prefer Greg James and Scott Mills to the Radio 2 DJs. I often hear non-listeners referring to modern music as 'just a noise', but wish they would give it a try before dismissing it.

Gonegirl Sat 16-Mar-19 13:09:40

I just like peace and quiet these days. Never put the radio on. Used to have it on all the time.

lacemaker Sat 16-Mar-19 13:24:42

I like Ken BRUCE too and find Sunday’s are fine but during the week first thing and after 5 just seem to be noise. If I could find a channel on the car radio that played my sort of music 60/70 s I would be much happier. I really dislike Graham Norton and his ego.

FlexibleFriend Sat 16-Mar-19 14:03:09

I rarely listen to the radio but if I do then it's absolute radio.

Harris27 Sat 16-Mar-19 14:03:49

I listen to smooth radio all week but radio two on a Sunday like johnnie walkers sounds of the70's and like Paul ogrady 5till 7 that's my ideal Sunday. I like 70's 80's music and that talk and don't shout couldn't stand Chris Evans!

NanKate Sat 16-Mar-19 14:37:02

I still listen to Tony Blackburn, love his optimism and silly humour.

lacemaker Sat 16-Mar-19 14:54:01

Yes me too

RosieLeah Sat 16-Mar-19 14:55:56

The world is so noisy these days. I wonder if it reflects empty minds. When we lived abroad and didn't have tv, the radio was on most of the time, now I rarely listen to it. Quiet, thoughtful people are just not catered for these days. When I want music, I play CDs.

sodapop Sat 16-Mar-19 15:00:49

I disliked Evans and Zoe Ball is no improvement. Ken Bruce is one of my favourites.
Like Harris27 I enjoy listening to Johnnie Walker and Paul O'Grady. Terry Wogan of course is irreplaceable.

Ohmother Sat 16-Mar-19 16:28:19

I didn’t like Evans’ ego but his music was much fresher than Zoe’s playing. I’ve stopped listening in the mornings now as I’m not sure how deep they had to go to dig the noise up. ?

travelsafar Sun 17-Mar-19 09:01:54

Can you pick up either Smooth Radio or Magic, both play easy listening music.The draw back is the adverts that appear quite frequently.

Mary59nana Sun 17-Mar-19 16:37:06

Love Tony Blackburn Johnie Walker and Paul Ogrady n a Sunday
But agree with OP radio 2 has changed.
I listen to radio Wales for its down to earth hosts and lovely music of the 60s70 and also modern

Telly Sun 17-Mar-19 17:26:02

I am back to CDs in the car, occasionally Kiss or Heart who seem to play some music that I like but on the whole I have given up too.

Chewbacca Sun 17-Mar-19 17:32:06

Smooth Radio and Magic FM are the only radio stations I can bear to listen to for music now.

Listening to the dentists drill is preferable to hearing either Chris Evans or Zoe Ball.

Washerwoman Sun 17-Mar-19 18:45:54

I've found my local BBC radio station plays a great selection of music and the lunchtime programme which is news and topical issues with a phone in has a great presenter.Streets ahead of Jeremy Vine.I still
Listen to Ken Bruce though.And actually don't mind Sarah Cox.

Marelli Sun 17-Mar-19 19:07:00

Mellow Magic is really good. One or two of the presenters used to be with Terry Wogan on his morning show (eg. Fran Godfrey).

sylviemc Thu 11-Apr-19 21:05:22

SAM radio is great - serious about music - play good stuff of our generation but i also prefer classic FM anyway - Steve Wrights in afternoon is still good sometimes but again too much modern stuff - sometimes in car now i go for just lovely silence as I drive through country lanes most of the time.

Pittcity Thu 11-Apr-19 22:13:22

I'm an aging rock chick and listen to Absolute Rock or Planet Rock. I like Ken Bruce, Steve Wright and Scott Mills for humour though.