Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Inspiring grandmother wins Masterchef 2019

(4 Posts)
Maccyt1955 Sat 30-Mar-19 10:48:58

Did anyone agree that the all female final of Masterchef shown last night on BBC1 was really moving?
Well done to the inspiring 61 year old winner Irini Tzortzoglou. A fantastic role model in every way for women over 60 I think.

merlotgran Sat 30-Mar-19 10:59:40

I was really pleased that she won but the rest of the family disagreed with me as they were rooting for Delia.

I suppose it was an oldie's turn to win. Ticks another box!

I'm a bit cynical about these competitions. hmm

gulligranny Sat 30-Mar-19 11:35:21

I was disappointed that Jilly didn't win as I thought her food was lovely and more elegant, plus she seemed to have got so much more out of it. It was clear early on that Irini was going to win as the judges should have eliminated her a couple of times,particularly when they got rid of Geoff instead. As you say, Merlotgran, ticks another box to have a grandmother win, even though she's already said it won't change her life. So what's the point of entering, I wonder?

paddyann Sat 30-Mar-19 12:03:00

I thought Jilly should have won,she never lost control of herself or the situation like some of the others did.her food looked great and it wasn't always a variation on a theme like Irini's was .I thought the point of the cometition was they learn and utilise new things ,Irini was churning out Greek food all the time .Still its just a silly competition ,I think the two presenters had a wee bit of favouritism going for Irini from the start ,and what will she do with it? At 60 does she have the energy to run a restaurant or will it be a cookery book to make her some cash?