Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Victim

(87 Posts)
SisterAct Mon 08-Apr-19 22:29:47

Good viewing tonight at 9.00. On for four more this week?

maryeliza54 Thu 11-Apr-19 20:50:10

Call that’s part of the issue isn’t it - who is the victim? Are they both victims? If he’s the killer is it all right what she did but it isn’t if he’s not? Does everyone deserve the protection of the law regardless of what they’ve done? Is she to be forgiven if she’s ruined an innocent man’s life because her son was murdered? Victim impact statements are quite routine I believe btw

Sparklefizz Thu 11-Apr-19 22:04:35

WOW!! Incredible acting, drama and suspense. The best thing that's been on TV for ages!!!

Gonegirl Thu 11-Apr-19 22:06:08

I didn't like it. Was too similar to the James Bulger case. Not sure if it should ever have been shown.

Pittcity Thu 11-Apr-19 22:06:15

I've dried my tears after that intense ending. I hope BAFTA was watching.

Gonegirl Thu 11-Apr-19 22:08:10

I put it alongside that awful book, The Room. That was obviously based on real life happenings. Not good.

Kandinsky Thu 11-Apr-19 22:08:29

I thought the acting was fairly wooden & a bit disappointed with the ending.

maryeliza54 Thu 11-Apr-19 22:10:45

Stunning, just stunning

Jane43 Thu 11-Apr-19 22:35:23

What an amazing drama. Very thought provoking, no silly stunts, just fabulous actors portraying a complex issue, there were so many victims in the story so the title was very apt. I agree that James Harkness’s performance was outstanding. Even when he revealed that he was Eddie I still felt sympathy for him and that was down to his acting skills. I agree that he deserves an award.

Coolgran65 Thu 11-Apr-19 22:46:26

Fabulous acting. Loved this series.

grannyticktock Thu 11-Apr-19 23:18:35

Yes, thoroughly enjoyed this drama. The only loose end (or did I miss something?): the bit about Danny having some sort of conviction, and having been the one who found the body? What was all that about? And why did he and the young son trash the grave and then clean it up? Did Lou never see him again?

harrigran Thu 11-Apr-19 23:22:27

I thought the acting was poor and felt annoyed with Liam's mother when I should have felt sympathy for her. DH and I kept asking each other what was being said, not sure whether it was the accent or the actors mumbling.

Grannyknot Fri 12-Apr-19 07:14:51

harrigran I'm glad you wrote that about feeling annoyed with Liam's mother, I did too (so stopped watching after Episode 2). I just couldn't accept that she would put her own needs above that of her husband and 2 other children, and be so impetuous as to post on social media something that clearly will impact on another family including complete innocents. So because she had no empathy/sympathy, I couldn't feel any for her character. She never got me "on side".

(But before anyone jumps on me, no, I can't imagine what it must be like to lose a child in similar circunstances).

Anja Fri 12-Apr-19 07:42:36

That was so very powerful in all ways. Great story, script and acting.

I sometimes give up on dramas when they get silly, over complicated, unreal but this was totally gripping. The ending was superb.

travelsafar Fri 12-Apr-19 08:11:50

grannyticktocki too ondered about the references to Danny and the boy Ben.Was Danny somehow involved in the murder of Liam or just someone who was really interested in the whole sagaand it had affectedhim in someway. I found the mother really difficult to lke, she was so cp=old and calculating and although we knew she had had this dreadful tragic event in her life, i felt more sorry for the husband, her daughter and son especially when she kept going back to see her 1st husband Tristian andtalking to him rather than those that clearly loved and supported her. Strange program but very watchable.

sodapop Fri 12-Apr-19 08:26:51

I agree Grannyknot I found it difficult to sympathise too much with the mother. Thank God though I have never been in that or any similar situation.
I thought it was well done Anja James Harkness was very good.

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Apr-19 08:46:05

What a great drama, so much to think about packed into four episodes! There were plot holes, yes, and big ones at that, the biggest being why was Eddie allowed to live in the area and why did nobody recognise him? But to be fair, without them there’d have been no drama. smile I thought it was well acted and compelling.

We didn’t get the Danny/Ben sub-plot either, and what was the big mystery around John Hannah’s character? Are we being left hanging to set up another series with the detective? I do hope so!

grannyticktock Fri 12-Apr-19 09:40:45

I quite liked the fact that none of the main characters was entirely likeable. It kept us on our toes, not knowing whom to side with or whom to blame.

Karanlouise Fri 12-Apr-19 10:05:10

I agree with you grannyticktock, I think this made the characters more real. I found this a very thought provoking series.

trisher Fri 12-Apr-19 10:15:39

Thought it was a bit too long and drawn out and the music was terrible. There were too many loose ends and some highly improbable circumstances.

henetha Fri 12-Apr-19 10:17:28

Although I was a little mystified with some things, I still really enjoyed this series. Although I am not sure that enjoyed is the right word, - maybe thought provoking is better, like others above have said. And the final scene was most moving and effective. What superb actors.

Anja Fri 12-Apr-19 10:26:24

As I understood it the murder did not take place in Port Glasgow where Eddie J/Craig Myers was relocated. There was a reference twice to Edinburgh, once saying he had an injunction imposed to stop him coming within 25 miles of Edinburgh. And it was certainly Edinburgh where the trial took place judging by all those steep steps!

Anja Fri 12-Apr-19 10:27:19

Danny was the boy who found Liam’s body. Nothing to do with the actual killing.

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Apr-19 14:04:09

Ah right, thanks Anja, I must have missed the bit about the murder being committed in Edinburgh. I'm still a bit confused about Dan, though. Didn't someone say at one stage that he found the body, but didn't report finding it straightaway? And the "torture" aspect of the murder didn't seem to be explained properly. I thought he was going to be part of it.

Must get back into Line of Duty mode now....

grannyticktock Fri 12-Apr-19 14:04:30

Anja, yes I understood that, but what was all that stuff about him being "bad news" and having some undisclosed conviction? And what was he doing at the graveyard?

Anja Fri 12-Apr-19 15:44:14

He had a conviction for possession of drugs. And he was making or helping Ben clean off the graffiti that Ben had put there.