Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Mum's back!!

(123 Posts)
kittylester Fri 10-May-19 12:18:55

BBC2 Wednesday 10.00.

I love it

Namsnanny Sun 12-May-19 02:20:33

Urmstongran……..I think you should watch the earlier series, if you can, you'll really get to understand all of the characters, as well as revel in the blossoming relationship between Kathy and Dave. smile

Namsnanny Sun 12-May-19 02:22:34

Sorry Michael not Dave

notanan2 Sun 12-May-19 19:18:49

Yes Namsnanny that (main) character is horrible, the way she pretends to humour people that think they get on with her then rolls her eyes at them behind all their backs. There is no one on her life that she just genuinely likes without pretence. So disingenuous. but that's what makes it compulsive viewing. Awful woman.

Sara65 Sun 12-May-19 19:39:16

I’m with calandergirl, I do watch it, but it makes me really sad, and a lot of the characters are unlikable, I’ll still be watching though

annep1 Sun 12-May-19 19:47:07

I find that surprising too. She always seemed to be a total doormat to me.

notanan2 Sun 12-May-19 20:12:36

I find that surprising too. She always seemed to be a total doormat to me.

Yeah. I would just phrase it as self styled resentful martyr though...

Charleygirl5 Sun 12-May-19 22:02:45

I have never heard of this series before. I will give it a try on Wednesday- thanks for letting me know.

Eloethan Sun 12-May-19 22:32:06

I enjoy it very much too. I do hope, though, that at some stage somebody (hopefully "Mum") will firmly put her son and his girlfriend - and her brother's ghastly girlfriend - in their place. It is a funny and poignant programme but sometimes I get so annoyed on her behalf and wish she'd occasionally snap back.

Jomarie Sun 12-May-19 23:24:36

Me too Eloethan - we shall see and hopefully it will be a good final series ie she gets a firm grip !!

Jomarie Sun 12-May-19 23:27:49

If I was the scriptwriter I would have a field day with her character and all her sidekicks - particularly as this is the final series - what an opportunity to fly in the face of convention! In the nicest possible way, of course,,,,, grin

annep1 Sun 12-May-19 23:55:25

Hmmm interesting opinion notanan. Must observe carefully, see what I think.

kittylester Mon 13-May-19 07:03:36

I dont think she's a doormat. I think she's a person who likes to keep the peace. I think there's a big difference.

jacq10 Mon 13-May-19 13:41:33

I agree with you Kittylester. I don't think she's a doormat. I think she has been content with her life and has memories of a very happy marriage and has probably always put other people first and was happy doing so. Michael was an old friend of her husband and understands and now loves her for what she is and they are both hestitant to upset those around them but hopefully they will put themselves first for once.

annep1 Mon 13-May-19 13:44:05

Sometimes in order to keep the peace you become a doormat. Been there.

kittylester Mon 13-May-19 14:02:55

But, I don't think Cathy is!

Namsnanny Mon 13-May-19 17:17:15

Kitty and jaqu10....that’s how I see her too!
The characters did come across in the first series as rather grotesque characatures.
But look behind their hard exteriors and you will see frail vulnerable humans doing the best they can!
The writer is a genius at quietly showing the audience the inner pain and subtext of each character....if you just look a little closer.
As for Kathy she stands up for the underdog in her understated way. Look at how she changed kelly’s Mothers attitude to her daughter. How she coaxed her son to see kelly’s POV over moving to Australia.
How she tries hard to ignore Dereks girlfriends gibes. How she eventually puts her in her place (no doormat there, or malice just straight forward)
The only person she didn’t see well enough for who he is was Michael, until later on anyway.
Sorry to rumble on but this program makes me cry every episode...even on re runs!!

AyjayF Mon 13-May-19 20:00:34

A brilliant summary Namsnanny. I could not have put it better!?

kittylester Mon 13-May-19 21:45:52

Which is why I love it.

Namsnanny Mon 13-May-19 22:41:58

AyjayF….Thanks! blush I really appreciate it when a program (writer. director etc.,) treat the audience with respect instead of just churning out the same old same old!

Kitty....So glad you enjoy it too.

annep1 Tue 14-May-19 09:29:16

"Mum" is guest on Lorraine Kelly tomorrow. Perhaps we'll find out more about her character.

AyjayF Tue 14-May-19 10:42:09

There is a lovely article about Lesley Manville in The Guardian today.
She says how the cast of Mum all get on so well

Kandinsky Tue 14-May-19 10:55:30

I find the Michael character a bit creepy to be honest.

Kandinsky Tue 14-May-19 10:58:19

The best character is Pauline by far.

Urmstongran Tue 14-May-19 10:58:55

Yes Ayjay the only bit I didn’t like (thought bit pretentious to be honest) was when she referred to herself a few times in the third person - as in ‘Lesley thinks...’. A bit weird.

nanaK54 Tue 14-May-19 14:51:48

I have 'binge'watched the first two series on the strength of this thread and I am hooked smile