Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Virtues

(49 Posts)
bikergran Thu 16-May-19 09:00:41

Was looking forward to watching Stephen Graham in this what I thought maybe a gritty drama.

But....had to turn it off when it got to a certain point..made my stomach churn (won't spoil it ) Just wondering if anyone else watched it.

EllanVannin Fri 24-May-19 09:32:36

I got the gist of this after missing the first episode, but the sound quality is atrocious and I sat holding the damn thingamajig in case it suddenly blasted out.
Natural acting from everyone including Stephen Graham who must have got his practice from his birth-home of Huyton, a rough area of Liverpool, complete with lingo.
It's good though.

Buffybee Fri 24-May-19 09:47:29

I found the first episode very uncomfortable to watch and cringed as Joseph crumbled in the pub scene. His pain and despair was palpable.
The second episode was heart wrenching.
What brilliant acting!

gillybob Wed 29-May-19 22:33:13

Just watched tonight’s episode and whilst it was quite disturbing (as I expected it would be) I really enjoyed it . I’m so glad I stuck with it. Poor Joseph I wonder what horrors he encounted in the children’s home that made him run away. Brilliant acting.

BlueBelle Wed 29-May-19 22:52:33

I loved tonight’s episode it was so hauntingly sad and yet it was so funny too, I loved the sisters’ “make sure those youth club txxs stay under your t shirt” I think the acting all round is absolutely brilliant I m sorry it’s only 4 episodes Its extremely well written and filmed too
First class

bikergran Thu 30-May-19 08:26:38

One episode left but really struggled with the sound again last night.

Auntieflo Thu 30-May-19 09:12:38

The sound was awful again last night, but I did think that when Niamh Cusack was on, her diction was clear as a bell!

EllanVannin Thu 30-May-19 09:36:40

Ear trumpet at the ready---again.

Aside from that it's brilliant acting and more like a natural documentary. It's so harrowing to think about that children's home and it's no wonder the man's mind is shattered. I could cry for the character,
Joseph.
I'll miss it after it's finished.

KatyK Thu 30-May-19 10:24:11

We've watched the first episode. I agree it was a bit like a documentary. I think Stephen Graham is a brilliant actor.

travelsafar Wed 05-Jun-19 13:00:15

Started to watch this but haven't seen last week's episode yet, felt i could take or leave it to be honest Might watch it again on catch up when the whole drama will be available in one go.

bikergran Wed 05-Jun-19 20:28:17

Last Episode Tonight....not that it really matters if you miss it as available on catch up.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Jun-19 22:35:34

Oh my God what a powerful drama and what an end
Fantastic drama, beautifully written, researched and acted

bikergran Wed 05-Jun-19 22:38:00

Just watched it....the music at the end is haunting isn't it!

bikergran Wed 05-Jun-19 22:38:24

Still had trouble hearing it at times though.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Jun-19 22:45:58

Put the sub titles on Biker I use them for all dramas

nanaK54 Wed 05-Jun-19 22:49:20

So, so sad to think that is reality for so many people sad

bikergran Thu 06-Jun-19 08:30:40

didnt think BlueBelle dohhh will remember next time.
Yes so very true nanaKate

EllanVannin Thu 06-Jun-19 09:17:28

The most natural acting I've seen in a long time. Brilliant !

Jane43 Thu 06-Jun-19 12:05:11

I’m glad I stuck with this, it was hard to watch at times but as others have said it reflects what others have been through. I liked the contrast between Joseph being able to forgive his abuser but the female (sorry can’t recall her name) who was unable to come to terms with her mother’s betrayal. My heart bled for them both and it will stay with me for quite a while.

Elvive Thu 06-Jun-19 19:11:47

It's my mother on screen.

gillybob Thu 06-Jun-19 23:51:44

I just watched the final episode on catch up.

What can I say? So powerful and so very sad. Brilliant acting.

There but for the grace........

I wanted to see who sang the end song (sounded like Willie Nelson or his son Lucas?) But no musical credits .

There has to be a second series . Please.

grannyactivist Fri 07-Jun-19 00:21:25

This is by far the best drama I've seen since I watched Cathy Come Home and I am sure it will haunt me in the same way. The scriptwriting was brilliant and the acting was superb, each cast member brought amazing realism (including the children), but even in such a stellar cast Stephen Graham was outstanding. He really, really deserves a BAFTA for this portrayal. I have worked with many, 'Josephs' - as a social worker and in my current role working with homeless people - and Graham got the nuances so right. I cried my way through most of it.

Elvive Fri 07-Jun-19 10:53:38

Aw granny, it was a tough watch. I absolutely loved the character Dinah and both the scene with her mother and the scene with the social worker were outstanding.

bikergran Fri 07-Jun-19 21:32:27

The music if anyone interested is

The Crowded Cell ( P J Harvey ) haunting words.