Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Poliakoff

(80 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-May-19 19:31:02

Starts Wednesday. Summer of Rockets.

I love his stuff.

Namsnanny Sat 18-May-19 20:37:03

Whitewavemark2...….I've seen Glorious 39, The Lost Prince and Shooting the past.

All atmospheric and engaging, but I always felt I was being preached at about a sub text I couldn't put my finger on!

Shooting the past was the most memorable for me. It left me with a lasting feeling of melancholy at the easy way society discards the recent past.

Lily65 Sat 18-May-19 20:41:09

Absolutely loved The Lost prince.

TerriBull Sat 18-May-19 20:57:05

I'll watch it, Poliakoff's productions have a special quality about them. I'm another fan of The Lost Prince.

Keeley Hawes again! smile she must be working flat out at the moment.

Labaik Sun 19-May-19 02:10:33

Yes; I loved Shooting the Past [I've got a 'thing' about old photographs] and The Lost Prince. But as the years have gone by I've liked his stuff less and less. I'll still give it a go, though.

Namsnanny Sun 19-May-19 15:54:50

Yes Labaik…me too with regards to old photographs, and giving it a go! smile

I've been known to buy Victorian photo albums on ebay, because I cant stand the thought of those memories just being discarded!

Greyduster Sun 19-May-19 16:20:21

I will be watching this. I’ve not seen a lot of his work except The Lost Prince, and a seventies TV series called “Stronger Than The Sun”, which was a very powerful drama that was quite thought provoking at the time.

Labaik Sun 19-May-19 19:10:51

Namsnanny; there was a short film on tv many years ago called 'The Shutter Falls' which was about old photographs. I'd love to see it again. I felt Shooting the Past was somehow copied from it. I'm the same about old photographs in shops etc. It worries me that, in the digital age photos as such won't be there for future generations.

Namsnanny Tue 21-May-19 15:06:56

Labaik....i’d like to see that if I could. There is so much dross on tv sometimes!
I was looking at a photo album with Edwardian and ‘30s pictures in it.
Young men in uniform, did any of them come back I wonder??

NanKate Sat 25-May-19 21:27:53

It must be me I have just watched Summer of Rockets and was so bored. I wondered when something was going to happen. It was just too highbrow for me. Back to thrillers. I like the ones set in Iceland particularly and also Luther and Line of Duty.

merlotgran Sat 25-May-19 21:41:26

I loved it. Great attention to period detail and multi-layered in true Poliakoff style.

Sar53 Sat 25-May-19 22:32:56

We both watched it and thought it was very good. I like anything about the Cold War .
Looking forward to the rest of the series.

NanKate Sun 26-May-19 06:50:40

Further to my negative comments about the story, not the acting, I thought it was going to be a spy thriller. I should have read the info about it a little more closely or is it just a slow burn and the spying comes later ?

Lindylou51 Sun 26-May-19 08:56:02

DH and I are huge Poliakoff fans. We watched the first episode of Summer of Rockets on Catch-up and lo and behold all the episodes are there so have been binge watching. Episodes 5 and 6 tonight. Promise I won't give away any spoilers.

Elvive Sun 26-May-19 20:45:29

Absolutely stunning.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-May-19 12:20:53

Wonderful stuff.

DoraMarr Mon 27-May-19 13:12:01

Have just watched first episode- really enjoyed it, the period detail was spot-on, and I thought the cast was wonderful. I was particularly impressed with Toby Stephen’s accent- so close to rp, but just foreign enough.

Happiyogi Mon 27-May-19 15:21:01

I enjoyed the first episode, but in a tense kind of way.

Thanks for the Catch Up info Lindylou. That's tonight's viewing sorted!

Jane43 Mon 27-May-19 17:31:17

I have watched three episodes and find it completely engrossing. Keeley Hawes is second to none in this type of role and I was pleasantly surprised to find Linus Roache playing her husband.

Elvive Mon 27-May-19 17:56:08

This is not a spoiler......but KH in the green dress, amazing.

Jane43 Mon 27-May-19 22:23:24

Yes Keeley is a stunning woman, so elegant.

grannyticktock Tue 28-May-19 22:51:49

Dora, I agree about Toby Stephens' accent, it is a brilliant impersonation of a non-native speaker who's learned the accent and gets it almost-almost right, just slightly over-correct. That must be so difficult for someone who is capable of getting it completely right.

Jane43 Wed 29-May-19 20:38:41

I agree, Toby Stephens is a brilliant actor but with Dame Maggie Smith as his mother how could he not be?

LullyDully Thu 30-May-19 07:46:38

We are watching it weekly. No spoilers please. It is quite tantalising, a slow burner and superb.

grumppa Thu 30-May-19 07:52:27

The acting is first class, and it's always good to see the actress I fell in love with when I saw her Juliet in the 1950s, but at times it's a bit like watching paint dry. Poliakoff needs an editor who is not in awe of his reputation.