Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Poliakoff

(81 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-May-19 19:31:02

Starts Wednesday. Summer of Rockets.

I love his stuff.

Teetime Thu 30-May-19 09:07:49

Not juts his Mum either - Robert Stephens was his Dad a fabulous actor I see more of him in Toby than Dame Maggie. Enjoying the programme - I always like the quirkiness of Poliakoff.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 30-May-19 09:15:13

grumppa paint dry! That’s Poliakoff ?I love it.

Gonegirl Thu 30-May-19 10:19:23

I watched the first two episodes on IPlayer last night. So good! Thanks Whitewave.

Gonegirl Thu 30-May-19 10:24:12

this is an interesting read about the programme

Jaxie Thu 30-May-19 10:26:02

It's not like watching paint dry: our viewing habits have perhaps been schooled by American drama which is either unfeasibly melodramatic or spelling out every meaning as if to morons. I think Summer of Rockets accurately represents in its pace the pace of the time it was set in.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 30-May-19 10:27:52

jaxie ?

katie1 Thu 30-May-19 19:45:47

I love this series. Keeley Hawes is so beautiful, a true English rose. It would be lovely to live in those days,when everything was at a slow pace, people were polite, the clothes were so elegant. I appreciate not everyone lived like that, but if I could choose an era, it would be that one, providing I was rich wink

Jacinta55 Thu 30-May-19 22:22:53

I agree katiel. I love the clothes and the men are so handsome in their suits. Poliakoff always has amazing houses for his scenes, and that summer house is wonderful.

Labaik Thu 30-May-19 22:44:34

Gonegirl; thanks; interesting read....

lemongrove Thu 30-May-19 22:50:22

Yes, Summer Of Rockets is very well done and engrossing, unlike some of Poliakoff’s work, so slow that I have never bothered watching to the end.

lemongrove Thu 30-May-19 22:51:42

katie some of us did live in that era.grin

merlotgran Thu 30-May-19 22:54:54

Yes, an interesting read, Gonegirl

I've never found Poliakoff's dramas slow but maybe that's because I like to spend time drinking in the period detail. A faster pace would mean what has often happened with recent dramas - coming on here to ask what the heck was going on? grin

Labaik Thu 30-May-19 23:02:34

I can't watch things like Line of Duty because I don't understand plots. Like things to waft over me and, as merlot said just wallow in the beauty of it.

Jane10 Fri 31-May-19 07:37:46

I'm another wallower. I want to watch this as slowly as possible. As someone said in an earlier post we've been force fed too much unsubtle American and violent cop dramas. This is a wonderful change of pace.

MawBroonsback Fri 31-May-19 13:49:17

I have a serious complaint to make to certain people.
This had escaped my radar until I started reading the thread and I am totally gripped!
I watched episode 1 last night, 2 this morning and fear I will succumb to episode 3 instead of treating my garden furniture with preservative.
Isn’t little Sasha gorgeous ?
Anyway as the house and garden sink under a wave of cobwebs and weeds as I remain glued to BBC I-Player, I hope the guilty people will feel ashamed.

You know who you are ? ? ?

grannyticktock Fri 31-May-19 14:30:19

I never found this slow (have seen 2 parts now), as it's so beautifully filmed, there's always something to hold my attention. The story does keep moving, and yet leaves time for us to ponder what might be going on, and who is to be trusted. (Like some others above, I need more pondering time than I used to, and get left behind in some of the faster-paced dramas with garbled dialogue.) I can't wait to get on to the next episode!

varian Fri 31-May-19 14:47:23

You don't have to wait. All the other episodes are available now on BBC i-player.

trisher Fri 31-May-19 15:58:53

Watched the first one and I am loving it. Just one little quibble, would a lady have worn a fur coat to Royal Ascot in June? Didn't ladies put their furs away in the summer? And only tarts and film stars wore them then. My mum and dad went to Ascot in the '50s (not the Royal enclosure) I still remember my mum's outfit. It was a sleeveless dress in cream silk with a darker cream pattern. It had a very full skirt. There was a matching short jacket, very tight fitting with three quarter sleeves and she had a hat with a brim that curved down at the front. My dad of course wore a morning suit.

grannyticktock Fri 31-May-19 17:31:09

Yes, thanks, varian, I know they're all on iPlayer now, it's just that real life gets in the way!

MawBroonsback Fri 31-May-19 17:56:55

In answer to Trisher’s question about furs, I have seen photographs of women (or do I mean ladies?) at Ascot in the mid 30’s with their minks, so I suppose the TV series has got it right.

trisher Fri 31-May-19 18:42:42

Thanks MawBroonsback I have seen photos with women with fur stoles/tippets but never a full fur coat. It is after all held in June and altough a stole might keep off the wind a coat might be too much. Even our DQ wore a stole

katie1 Fri 31-May-19 19:40:41

Lemongrovewink ha ha. I was born in the fifties but have no recollection of fashions etc. Have you good memories ?

travelsafar Fri 31-May-19 22:21:24

Started watching this tonight and love it.The clothes the pace and the beautiful make up the women are wearing.Its lovely to see Keely Hawkes in another series too.

varian Sun 02-Jun-19 10:31:18

Timothy So all is an amazing actor. He plays an aristocrat, the type Edward Fox often plays. He smiles in a very sinister way, the more he smiles the more creepy he seems.

varian Sun 02-Jun-19 10:31:54

Timothy Spall