Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Sorry, Nadiya but I watched your new series in disbelief!

(79 Posts)
merlotgran Tue 16-Jul-19 09:50:30

The premise of Time to Eat is to convince busy mothers they can spend less time in the kitchen preparing meals. Surely this is wrong because that's been the problem at the root of obesity and poor nutrition thanks to a reliance on ready meals and take-aways.

Programmes like Eat Well for Less have been encouraging parents to spend more time in the kitchen with healthy recipes replacing expensive ready meals. Nadiya is turning this on its head by demonstrating some pretty unhealthy looking food while gushing about how unimportant it is to spend time and care cooking for your family.

That ghastly, sugar laden baked pancake thing filled with jam and peanut butter had me yelling 'Elvis Presley died eating this stuff!' at the telly - and this was for breakfast!! shock

I did like the look of the tortilla omelette thingy which was a little more nutritious but those home-made pot noodles where you only add boiling water were a puzzle. Why would you go to all that trouble when you could cook a proper meal in the same time?

DH asked me why I didn't turn it off given it was making me angry but I was mesmerised by its awfulness. grin

Auntieflo Tue 06-Aug-19 10:52:03

The only recipe last night that I might try, was the all in one traybake.
Did anyone else think that there was an enormous amount of honey in the trifle? (I think it was that) I was crocheting and counting.

Callistemon Tue 06-Aug-19 10:53:44

I was crocheting too and missed the honey.

merlotgran Tue 06-Aug-19 11:27:41

I haven't tried jackfruit either. It's supposed to resemble pulled pork and beloved of vegans.

I agree about the honey. Her recipes are far too sweet for me.