Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

GBBO - What the Actual Heck?

(72 Posts)
oldgimmer1 Thu 05-Sep-19 09:08:36

Really, really looking forward to this. Tuned in with feet up and (Mr Kipling) cake and tea in hand and....what a mighty disappointment!

Is it me?

it was forced, staged, humourless and as for the age demographic - the contestants looked like they didn't quite make Love Island and diverted to GBBO instead?

What the heck has happened?

Even Noel couldn't lift it.

Pink Jumper Woman reminded me of Rosamund Pike on a banned substance - and not in a good way.

Thoughts?

I can't be the only one thinking this?

Pantglas1 Thu 05-Sep-19 09:14:38

I agree that this selection of bakers seems contrived somehow with half in their twenties and the oldest only 56.

merlotgran Thu 05-Sep-19 09:21:53

I agree. Time to call it a day.

Extra Slice with Jo Brand is still worth a look though.

Nannylovesshopping Thu 05-Sep-19 09:23:54

Sleazy Mr Hollywood at his worse, yuk, really do think this programme is past its best, it’s the off button for me.

Grannyknot Thu 05-Sep-19 09:34:05

I gave it a try having missed the last few years ... and I cringed at the banal attempts at 'saucy banter'. And what the actual heck was Noel WhateverHisNameIs doing dressed up as Dorothy. Lame.

I might watch a few more to see how the truck driver gets on ...

Ellianne Thu 05-Sep-19 10:10:40

I agree. If they'd mentioned the word "organ" one more time I would have exploded. Someone has obviously chosen the contestants for their idiosyncrasies rather than their baking skills.
Boring!

EllanVannin Thu 05-Sep-19 10:29:16

I don't watch it as I can't stand that Hollywood thing.

I watched the " The Big Hospital Experiment " and enjoyed it.

Lessismore Thu 05-Sep-19 10:32:02

Like Mr Kipling, it's old , musty and not even slightly tasty.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 05-Sep-19 10:33:30

Don’t watch it as can’t stand Paul Hollywood sorry

Theoddbird Thu 05-Sep-19 10:38:01

Not as good as in the past....sighs

Mapleleaf Thu 05-Sep-19 10:45:16

I haven't bothered with it this time around. From what posters are saying, perhaps I'm not missing anything. Like a lot of programmes, it's probably had its day, so they are trying to vamp it up with trivialities. As with so much tv now, the producers hit on a theme and flog it to death to such an extent that it becomes boring/tedious, almost painful to watch.

HurdyGurdy Thu 05-Sep-19 10:46:21

I loved Bake Off, right up until C4 took over. As with every other programme on that channel, I knew it would be dumbed down and would become more about the "characters" than the skills.

I predicted it wouldn't make the transition well, but I hoped I'd be proved wrong.

I predicted the "shock double eviction" would make an appearance, and although it hasn't yet happened, I believe it's only a matter of time before contestants are encouraged to sabotage others' efforts, or to stir up a bitch-fest.

What a great shame that what started as a lovely programme where I could be astonished at the skills shown, has been dragged down to this level.

Mary Berry, and Sue and Mel had the right idea by declining to follow the programme to C4

MandyRaff Thu 05-Sep-19 10:51:22

We look forward to this coming on but DH was asleep from about half way through and when I asked if he wanted to watch it again he declined saying it was far too contrived and not at all as good as other years. I thought he was just being a misery but obviously not! Lol.

Calendargirl Thu 05-Sep-19 10:53:26

What started as a sort of amateur who makes the best Victoria sponge or batch of scones has now elevated to really fancy and way out bakes. The show stoppers are so complicated looking. Would hate to be on it, the contestants must be gluttons for punishment, or most likely planning on a best selling recipe book or running a cookery school.

Whingingmom Thu 05-Sep-19 11:12:27

I thought Sandy and Noel were refreshing last year, Prue is a bit of a caricature and I can’t stand Sleazy Hollywood.
However, in my view Ch 4 are scraping the bottom of the biscuit barrel this year, and it’s too cringeworthy to watch.

fluff Thu 05-Sep-19 11:29:39

Well I have to disagree, I love bake off, and find it much improved since the days of Mary Berry, and Mel and Sue, did no one notice the innuendo when it was on bbc? Mel and Sue and their ooh matron! Saucy comments became really tiresome , and Mary Berry and her tired old phrases that she regularly came out with, it was time that they went . I think Sandi and Noel are genuinely funny, and Prue very knowledgable, it’s a shame that they kept Paul Hollywood on, I think he has an overinflated ego, and would have liked to have seen him replaced by someone like James Martin. Overall though I think that it is better than when it was on the BBC.

GardenerGran Thu 05-Sep-19 11:31:17

Apparently most of the contestants already have Instagram accounts where they show off their baking skills...enough said.

Millie22 Thu 05-Sep-19 11:34:16

I'm still missing Mary and this year the oldest woman is 40 which seems strange. I think they've chosen younger people to boost ratings maybe.

Anthea1948 Thu 05-Sep-19 11:52:13

Actually I really liked it. I loved it before it went to C4 and, while I don't think it's quite as good, I'm still enjoying watching it. I did, however, notice the age demographic, and am also not keen on the elaborateness (is there such a word?) of the things they have to make. Previously I've downloaded recipes and had a go at them myself, but these are way above my skill (and patience) level. As I say, I'm still enjoying it though.

Esmerelda Thu 05-Sep-19 11:59:43

Me too EllanVannin. I stopped watching Bake Off when Mary, Sue & Mel left and it switched channels but I thoroughly enjoyed "The Big Hospital Experiment" (my favourite quote about Erik: 'He's too posh to wash' ? though he did pull his socks up as the days went on). My advice is change channels and watch something worthwhile!

Maybelle Thu 05-Sep-19 12:09:59

I too am enjoying this series, I was a bit concerned about the transfer from the BBC, but feel that Noel and Sandi fit in well and although a fan of Mary Berry, I am more than happy with how Prue adds to the whole programme.
Paul is the same as he has always been as far as I can see. Some like his style, some don't. I do.

HootyMcOwlface Thu 05-Sep-19 12:17:46

I turned over half way through last week, the voices of the contestants were so screechy and the chat banal I couldn’t bear listening to them any longer.

b1zzle Thu 05-Sep-19 12:38:34

Give me Alan Titchmarsh on ITV at the same time any day!

Mcrc Thu 05-Sep-19 12:40:24

No, tell me it isn't so! I am going to watch it on Netflix. I think I will but will keep jn my mind what you said!

nanamac77 Thu 05-Sep-19 13:31:53

We could stand innuendo from Mel and Sue because, as far as I know, neither meant anything other than a bit of light hearted fun. With Paul Hollywood, we all know his history and it's verging on sleaze. Channel 4 has allowed him to take over the show - with his handshakes etc (YUK) to the point where there is little point Prue being there. None of her personality ( if she has one_ comes across and she allows Paul to hog the limelight.)

And I don;t know the right technical words to express this, but I feel that the way the filming is cut up into tiny segments makes it bitty. By this time in the series when on BBC we would know each contestant well, their background, their idiosyncrasies etc. But I can't even remember their names.
Annoyingly I still watch, in the vain hope that that a miracle will happen and we will get back something more like the original. Faint hope.