Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Big Hospital Experiment

(18 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 05-Sep-19 16:48:02

I have just watched this on catch-up - did anyone else see it?

I was quite surprised at how little the volunteers were aware of some of life's cruelties - they were all in their 20s and must have had relatives and elderly grandparents who had been ill at some point. Perhaps they had been sheltered from realities.

The young man who was a hairdresser eventually got into the right mode - and the young chainsmoker was put on the cancer ward - maybe he will have a change of heart!

It is an interesting project and happens on the continent I believe - I guess the bottom line will be whether it is more of a help than a hindrance in terms of use of staff time.

crazyH Thu 05-Sep-19 16:56:09

Yes, I did see it Luckygirl. I don't know what purpose the programme served. I hope more youngsters will volunteer. I also hope the young chainsmoker has given up smoking.
The one young girl (I'm terrible with names), she had such a good rapport with the cancer patient. I hope she gets into the caring profession, either as a nurse or doctor.

ninathenana Thu 05-Sep-19 17:38:37

You may be right about being sheltered from reality.
My brother dissuaded his adult sons from visiting their grandmother in the care home where she was living with dementia. Wrongly, in my opinion.

FlyingSolo Thu 05-Sep-19 18:08:51

This was just the first episode of a four part series so as yet we don't know how successful the experiment was.

And as for being sheltered from reality, when I was their age I wouldn't have known much either. We don't all grow up with elderly grandparents or relatives in our lives. Some of us at 20 still had healthy grandparents, or grandparents that died before we were born or just have never really had grandparents in our lives. I think the young people should be given credit for volunteering themselves.

EllanVannin Thu 05-Sep-19 18:12:59

Yes,I enjoyed the programme as it showed the young people another side to life which will either make or break them. I think all hospitals should give their local youngsters the chance to see what goes on in the various wards/depts. particularly A&E.
The patient with Crohn's was an amazing young chap who put his " helper " at ease. Well done to him. Looking forward to next week.

The feeding of patients can be an enormous help to the staff while they get on with other tasks. Those two girls were marvellous to the elderly patient it was so pleasing to see.

I was thrown in at the deep-end during my training at age 16 !

Luckygirl Thu 05-Sep-19 18:24:53

I suppose I was just aware that by the time I reached their age I had seen my grandmother very ill, had a mentally ill grandfather commit suicide, had a placement in an "approved school", been part of a decorating team in inhabited slum properties and worked in a children's home where some of life's cruelties were very apparent.

It was good to see these young people spending time just talking to the patients and encouraging them to eat. My recent experience of hospitals is that food is flung onto a table - whether in reach or not - and it is pot luck as to whether it gets eaten. The presence of these young volunteers was helping to fill the gap as far as nutrition was concerned - and with jolly chat thrown in. Excellent.

FlyingSolo Thu 05-Sep-19 18:38:09

Luckygirl, I agree with every word of your last paragraph about the young people spending time with the patients. I think there is a real need for this in our hospitals.

MissAdventure Thu 05-Sep-19 18:46:11

My neighbour said that her school arranged for pupils to visit those in hospital with nobody.
She was sent to visit an old man, but well... his hands got busy under the covers, and she ran out screaming.

Luckygirl Thu 05-Sep-19 21:16:15

Oh - that reminds me of an incident as a SW when I first started work at the local hospital. An ancient retired GP was in a single room on his own and I had to go and see him, as his housekeeper had given notice and he was not able to look after himself. When I came out the nurses were all laughing - "Did he grope you?" they asked - and indeed he had. I told him he was a dirty old bugger (or words to that effect) - and that any help he might need to organise care at home was not going to come from me. It was interesting how everyone just laughed it off - I suspect/hope that it might be taken more seriously now.

FlyingSolo Thu 05-Sep-19 22:22:57

Luckygirl, how long ago was that? And what does GP stand for?

MissAdventure Thu 05-Sep-19 22:45:02

GP is general practitioner.
Doctor, in other words. smile

FlyingSolo Thu 05-Sep-19 23:14:22

Good grief. That's worrying, it makes you wonder how many girls and women he had groped when they were his patients. He'd have had plenty of opportunities in that role.

FlyingSolo Thu 05-Sep-19 23:17:20

I know what GP usually stands for. It just didn't occur to me that was what was meant here. I thought it was something different, some abbreviation used on the boards like when people put DS and DD etc

GrandmaKT Thu 05-Sep-19 23:30:56

I've just watched it on catch-up. Very interesting, I'll definitely be sticking with it (hope the volunteers do too!)

I believe the experiment is based on the system in Germany where young people chose to do military service or civic service (e.g. in a hospital) for a year. Conscription was abolished in 2011 in Germany, but many are calling for its re-introduction.

GrandmaKT Fri 06-Sep-19 13:57:50

Having spent all morning unsuccessfully trying to contact the hospital ward that my elderly father is on, I can't help thinking that volunteers might be better employed answering the phone and doing admin tasks rather than nursing! angry

Sparklefizz Fri 06-Sep-19 16:03:27

Having spent all morning unsuccessfully trying to contact the hospital ward that my elderly father is on, I can't help thinking that volunteers might be better employed answering the phone and doing admin tasks rather than nursing!

It would make a very boring TV programme though smile and that is the bottom line.

TwiceAsNice Fri 06-Sep-19 17:32:21

I have it recorded but haven’t had the chance to watch it yet. I thought it would be interesting and it sounds as if it is

Sparklefizz Fri 06-Sep-19 21:03:56

I've just watched this on iPlayer. It's brilliant. I have cried but it's also been heart-warming to see some of these young people trying so hard, and the effect their engagement has had on the patients. I shall definitely watch it next week.

The patient with Crohn's was amazing, as Ellen has said, and also the volunteers Deborah and Poppy with their elderly patient who responded to them so wonderfully.