Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

World on Fire

(66 Posts)
tanith Mon 30-Sep-19 14:15:11

Did anyone watch this new series? Just wonder if it’s worth a watch I don’t normally like war films/series.

Grandma2213 Tue 08-Oct-19 02:01:49

Not something I would normally expect to enjoy but the acting is excellent. Yes I continue to despair over why we continue to have wars and how hopeless it is for the ordinary people involved in them but I have already become involved with the human stories being told. I like the balance between the 'doing something for my country', the 'conscientious objector' and the 'one who doesn't really care'. I will continue to watch.

gulligranny Mon 21-Oct-19 16:59:16

We've been watching but think we are going to give up on this one. Such an important part of the war deserves better, the Poles suffered so dreadfully and were such staunch allies.

Too many stereotypes, one-dimensional characters, acting's a bit hit-or-miss except for Lesley Manville and Sean Bean. The timeline seems a bit flexible, to say the least; surely Lois would be much further along than she seems to be, given that Harry has been in Poland/England/Belgium/France. And that must have been some fast ship to get the horrible son back from the River Plate so quickly ...

That said, the Polish side of things is well-acted and very real, as are the scenes with Helen Hunt (how thin she's got!) and the German family. So maybe we'll stick with it, haven't decided yet.

silverlining48 Mon 21-Oct-19 17:48:57

I don’t usually watch war films but find this one interesting because it’s not just about ‘goodies and baddies’ but shades of, which is more real.
It’s strange how I have come to happily watch foreign films (bbc4 on a Saturday night!) with subtitles maybe because we watch English subtitles too these days.

morethan2 Sun 27-Oct-19 21:31:52

I enjoy BBC dramas so this should be right up my street. The storyline good, the acting good, there’s not too much blood and gore but it lacks something and I can’t put my finger on it. It just lacks atmosphere.

Calendargirl Sun 27-Oct-19 22:07:50

Thought tonight’s episode was the best so far. First one I’ve really followed who was who, and what was going on.

00mam00 Sun 27-Oct-19 23:00:02

I felt tonight’s episode had gone into slow motion. Generally The story is interesting and most of the acting is good, but Jonah Hauer-King is too wet to take the lead roll, he has no character or charisma to carry the story along. Apart from the sergeant, I think the women have all the best parts.

Calendargirl Mon 28-Oct-19 09:58:22

I agree that Harry is pretty wet. I too hope the sergeant makes it back to Blighty.
Do you think Douglas and Robina will end up together? I think she fancies him despite being rather hoity-toity with him. Poor Sean should not be on his own in his little house!

travelsafar Mon 28-Oct-19 10:33:40

Oooh Calendargirl wouldn't that be fab!!! smile

Jane43 Mon 28-Oct-19 16:46:15

I definitely think Douglas and Robina will get together, there is a lot of chemistry from her side but I think it won't cross his mind unless she takes the lead.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 28-Oct-19 17:07:13

Really enjoying this but how did the Polish man (can't remember his name) get from Poland on the Russian front, through Poland to where the Germans were, right across Germany and Belgium into France so quickly. Otherwise reckon I will keep watching.

Gfplux Fri 01-Nov-19 16:12:39

We are enjoying it and will watch it all. However DW likes it a little better than me.

Ellianne Fri 01-Nov-19 17:41:08

I like it because it is historically interesting as well as being a drama about human struggles. The acting is pretty convincing too. It was a bit confusing to begin with when all the characters were introduced, but the story is now unfolding without being too contrived ...... except that for me the gay/black doctor relationship seems unnecessarily exaggerated, unless I am missing something??

grannydarkhair Sun 03-Nov-19 00:11:22

I'm still watching it every week (on catch-up), but can't say it's the most gripping series ever. I agree that the female characters overall are stronger, but I really liked Blake Harrison as the sergeant, except I just kept thinking of him in The Inbetweeners and laughing. Not only the timeline is puzzling, as Barmeyoldbat said, how did the young Polish man get across Europe? Would have made more sense to escape via Sweden surely, as I know lots of Polish people did.

gulligranny Sun 03-Nov-19 22:36:28

In spite of misgivings we are still watching this although there are anomalies that make us wince a bit. We thought tonight's episode with the Rossler family was well done and very harrowing, plus I am now devoted to Vernon so I do hope he doesn't "buy it" and ends up with Lois and baby. Lesley Manville continues to out-act everyone, especially the guy playing Harry who seems to have only one expression.

Oopsminty Sun 03-Nov-19 22:38:22

I only keep watching for the scenes in the woods that I watched being filmed. In woods very close to me.

Ellianne Sun 03-Nov-19 22:40:41

So sad, Hilda and her mother.
I understand the pertinent reason for the gay black musician in the story now.

merlotgran Sun 03-Nov-19 22:41:05

Isn't Vernon just a little bit creepy? hmm

I love Lesley Manville's character and listen out for her one-liners. You do need a jolly good snob in a period drama.

Calendargirl Mon 04-Nov-19 13:35:29

Oh Merlotgran. Sorry you think Vernon is creepy. I think he is meant to emphasise the stiff upper lip, ‘what ho Johnny!’ good egg type of wartime RAF pilot. Lois would do well to marry him really, but bet she still hankers after drippy Harry who always looks half asleep and pretty bored by the whole thing. Sadly, Vernon is probably a bit dull compared to him though.
Have reversed my opinion of Robina, she seems to accept all these waifs and strays into her home.

Looks like even with rationing, she spread plenty of butter and jam on her toast/bread.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 04-Nov-19 14:59:30

Just watched the last episode and once again find it puzzling how the son managed to escape across France into Spain. ve the story but do find it a bit unbelievable at times.

Welshwife Mon 04-Nov-19 15:50:03

Driving around our local countryside here in France we often say how we can understand how the resistance were so successful for quite a long time!
I thought he got from Paris to the Spain very quickly though and seemingly with no assistance with food and shelter it seems.

Gfplux Mon 04-Nov-19 20:50:54

Are the present day producers trying to make the casting and/or the story inclusive.
My understanding of 1940 white heterosexual Britain seems at odds with this.

crystaltipps Tue 05-Nov-19 07:44:07

There were definitely homosexuals in the 1940s! There were also black communities in Liverpool, Bristol and London and Paris. It’s good that this series shows that. This reminded me of a conversation I once had with a young white South African girl who told me in all seriousness “we don’t have homosexuals in South Africa”.

Chestnut Wed 06-Nov-19 23:20:21

I definitely think Douglas and Robina will get together, there is a lot of chemistry from her side but I think it won't cross his mind unless she takes the lead.
Could it really work? She is so very buttoned up, not sure he is man enough to break down that frosty demeanour. Although we are beginning to see a slightly more gentle side of her, so maybe the war is chipping away at her sharp edges.

Jane43 Fri 08-Nov-19 19:14:24

Once she undoes those buttons watch out! I think Douglas’s anxiety for his son and becoming a grandfather will change him too and they will start to get closer. War did break down class barriers significantly so I am still convinced it will happen.

Calendargirl Sun 10-Nov-19 22:10:34

An explosive end! I thought I had stumbled into;
a) A James Bond film-‘World on Fire Will Return’, and
b) Casablanca- ‘Of all the gin joints in all the world’...

Lots to sort out, but mainly...
Will Douglas and Robina get it together? Thought it was going to happen, but no!
Have to wait for series 2.