Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

World on Fire

(66 Posts)
tanith Mon 30-Sep-19 14:15:11

Did anyone watch this new series? Just wonder if it’s worth a watch I don’t normally like war films/series.

annep1 Sun 10-Nov-19 22:18:44

Can't wait for next series.

SueDonim Mon 11-Nov-19 00:09:33

A good, suspenseful ending. It really brings home the precariousness of life during the war.

crystaltipps Mon 11-Nov-19 07:08:10

One of my neighbours is the daughter of a Polish pilot who couldn’t return to Poland in 1945. She tells of how her mother, a teenager in Warsaw in this period, delivered resistance leaflets and ran through tunnels to avoid the Nazis. Also how the Nazis would stop a tram get everyone out, look at their papers, then drag about 10 people off and shoot them just to keep the population terrified. Awful times.

suziewoozie Mon 11-Nov-19 07:31:35

Gfplux I was very surprised to read your post - there has been homosexuality as long as there has been human beings.

sodapop Mon 11-Nov-19 07:37:14

I'm looking forward to the next series as well. Hope they don't leave it too long.

Iam64 Mon 11-Nov-19 08:16:41

Gfplux, what an odd comment, to suggest the drama is deliberately being made inclusive.
The 1940's weren't heterosexual and white. It's a relief to see a drama that reflects that.

Jane43 Mon 11-Nov-19 15:54:09

This series has really grown on me, mainly due to the performances of Sean Bean, Lesley Manville and Helen Hunt. What a cliffhanger to end with last night. Apparently there are six series planned so it could turn into something like Family At War from years ago.

I think Kasia will turn around into the firing line and deliberately get shot because she hates herself so much. It seems that Lois is going to marry Vernon so a future relationship between Harry and her will be thwarted. Sean Bean was going to say something to Robina last night, I do think they will get together eventually, lucky Robina!

Iam64 Mon 11-Nov-19 19:06:55

Sean Bean is such a great actor isn't he. His portrayal of the father in this story is just brilliant, he's totally believable. I've morphed into a total fan . As others have said, Lesley Manville and Helen Hunt are also excellent t
Great series - well done the BBC

annep1 Mon 11-Nov-19 22:02:31

Sean Bean is great, I agree. Last thing we saw him in he was acting as a priest - can't remember title but he was wonderful.

SueDonim Mon 11-Nov-19 22:13:54

I agree, Sean Bean is acting his socks off. The nuances of his performance are mesmerising. I'm glad he's doing something that showcases his talent. He hasn't always chosen the best parts during his career. grin

Does anyone else wonder if Webster is actually Nancy's son?

Six series! I can see that that could be made to happen as of course WW2 has plenty of material.

suziewoozie Mon 11-Nov-19 22:52:46

Sue of course he is her son, born of the rape she mentioned
ann the series about the priest - one of the best things ever on TV. Heartbreaking and gut wrenching

suziewoozie Mon 11-Nov-19 22:54:49

Broken that was the title

Ellianne Mon 11-Nov-19 22:57:07

Yes, the acting is excellent and the characters remain so true to their beliefs. I hope it continues to be as good in the future.

SueDonim Mon 11-Nov-19 23:02:35

Well, that's what I wondered, Suzie. Would you ever actually tell your child that they were conceived through a criminal act. It seems brutal.

On a shallow level, I'm also loving the fashions and hair styles.

annep1 Mon 11-Nov-19 23:20:45

Thanks SusieWoozie. Yes that's it. Brilliant series with superb acting by Bean. I agree one of the best things on tv.