Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Coronation Street

(118 Posts)
Gonegirl Fri 25-Oct-19 20:32:54

Sad wasn't it?

Very well done though.

Can't believe lovely little Sinead won't be in it anymore.

sad

Gonegirl Sat 26-Oct-19 09:45:45

harrigran apparently there has been an increase in women going for their smears since this storyline got going. Not all bad then.

Calendargirl Sat 26-Oct-19 10:41:48

They have to put warnings in for everything nowadays. Must be careful not to upset anybody.

We must have been made of sterner stuff years ago, I was not very old when Martha Longhurst died in the Rovers, but can still remember how stunned the public were, however counselling did not seem to be offered back then.

henetha Sat 26-Oct-19 10:42:39

I thought Sinead's story line was well written and brilliantly acted. Her departure last night actually caused a little tear to roll down my face. Well done, Corrie.

glammanana Sat 26-Oct-19 11:14:01

The whole story line was very well acted and Katie McGlynn should be awarded for her performance.
I found it unrealistic that her mum only turned up right at the end but hey-ho.
"Ken Barlow" is not ageing as well as he was in fact he looked quite ill to me.

Doodledog Sat 26-Oct-19 11:15:48

Yes, calendargirl, it is good to see that people are more considerate of others these days. I am not particularly easily upset, but seeing a warning to those who are takes a minute or less, and might be of use to someone going through whatever is being televised.

I am pleased that young people today are thoughtful about things like this, despite the sneering of those who call them ‘snowflakes’.

Curlywhirly Sat 26-Oct-19 11:26:15

Have watched Corrie for years, but I do think that it has lost its way - it was the one soap that had plenty of humour, but there's precious little now, and for me, there are far too many depressing storylines. This latest one with Beth was very upsetting and I found myself 'front forwarding' most of it (I record episodes and watch them later). I am afraid that for me, Corrie at the moment is not entertaining or uplifting.

Sara65 Sat 26-Oct-19 11:34:14

I think the Sinead storyline was very well done on the whole, as I said before I think the Bethany twist was both unnecessary, and not very credible, but I thought the acting was superb, and the way they shot the final episode was very clever.

Doodledog

My problem isn’t the warning itself, it’s the fact that they need to have one for every episode.

Gonegirl Sat 26-Oct-19 11:49:09

What I don't understand is where they all went after Sinead had passed. They were all outside with brollies, even Daniel with Bertie in a pvc mac. Surely they didnt all go to the pub did they?

Sara65 Sat 26-Oct-19 11:57:58

I assumed they went to Ken’s while the body was being removed, but I might be wrong.

Curlywhirly Sat 26-Oct-19 12:03:23

Sorry, my post should have said story with Sinead not Beth!!

Calendargirl Sat 26-Oct-19 12:08:13

glammanana

I too thought it odd that the mum only turned up at the end, but think it was meant to show why Sinead and Auntie Beth were so close, she (AB) had obviously been there for Sinead when young, the mother looked very scatty and granny not much better.

Yes, Ken is ageing, but in RL must be in his 80’s. He was very judgemental over Daniel’s regrettable lapse with Bethany, but bearing in mind all his own past flings and affairs, had little room to talk. He maybe never cheated on Deirdre on her death bed, but Wendy Crozier? Was it Stephanie Beecham who lived on a canal boat that he was also dallying with?

Poor Deirdre had no end to put up with.

Sara65 Sat 26-Oct-19 12:21:29

Yes, I thought Ken was a bit harsh considering his behaviour over the years.
I think Adam is becoming a nice character, didn’t warm to him much to start with.

Eloethan Sat 26-Oct-19 13:05:04

I stopped watching Eastenders about 20 years ago - having caught the last few minutes of some episodes I think I made the right decision. Horrible characters and a lot of shouting and aggression.

I stopped watching Coronation Street about 2 years ago. The plots became quite ridiculous and there wasn't the usual light hearted humour that there used to be.

I don't miss them at all but still watch Holby City. It too has in the last couple of years had increasingly unrealistic and over-dramatic plot lines. The last episode, with Rick undergoing a major operation, was particularly silly. I may have to cross this one of my list too.

What is happening to quality British drama? I know there are still some exceptionally good ones but there seem to be more and more sensationalist and unbelievable ones.

jennyvg Sat 26-Oct-19 13:55:41

I had to switch off Coronation Street last night, whilst the acting was superb I found it all too distressing, there will be families who are going through that awful situation and I know that they could do as I did and switch off but I felt to see the pain that the family was going through unnecessary.

Gonegirl Sat 26-Oct-19 14:07:53

Yes, I guess that was it Sarah65.

I think the story with Bethany will be ongoing. Perhaps it will be the way she gets to leave. Another good character going. sad

Sara65 Sat 26-Oct-19 14:43:45

Gonegirl

Poor Bethany, her time in the street hasn’t been very happy for her has it?

Harris27 Sat 26-Oct-19 14:46:32

Love the classic coronation street and feel that was their best moments!

soop Sun 27-Oct-19 13:13:47

I was moved to tears. Well written. Superb acting. I especially liked the moment when Daniel returned to his home and the empty bedroom, and suggested to baby Bertie that it was bathtime.

sodapop Sun 27-Oct-19 16:14:07

Yes I agree soop excellent handling of such a sad event.

glammanana Sun 27-Oct-19 16:25:46

I was touched by the scene when Daniel was reading to little Bertie and it was the last thing that Sinead saw before the end occured.

Sara65 Sun 27-Oct-19 17:59:23

Glammananna

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to read Bear Hunt again, without thinking about it.

soop Mon 28-Oct-19 12:37:29

Sara Ditto.

Jane43 Sun 03-Nov-19 12:27:27

I gave up watching this a couple of months ago but did watch the episodes leading up to Sinead’s death which were very good. The focus on Gemma and her quads over the past few months was the final nail in the coffin for me.

Calendargirl Sun 03-Nov-19 12:46:26

I agree about Gemma and the quads. The births not at all realistic, the world and his wife wandering into the nursery, wouldn’t four prem babies still be supervised much more, and as for her ghastly mother! ?

Where is the old boyfriend who abused Gemma’s brother? I expect he will pop up again soon unfortunately.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 03-Nov-19 12:59:26

Enough doom and gloom in the world so for the present giving both Corrie and Emm a miss.