Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Coronation Street

(118 Posts)
Gonegirl Fri 25-Oct-19 20:32:54

Sad wasn't it?

Very well done though.

Can't believe lovely little Sinead won't be in it anymore.

sad

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Nov-19 19:07:41

Oh, I’m very unobservant, BlueBelle, known for it. smile

Yes, I’d love to have abundant hair like Gail’s too. But I bet she can’t wash and dry it in 5 minutes, as I can (the only poor consolation for having baby fine locks).

Jane10 Mon 04-Nov-19 19:49:06

Eloethan it was ages ago that Chris Evans said it on a TV programme. I doubt that 'Gail' would mind - she's in showbiz and probably glad of the publicity. No one would expect Chris Evans to be the height of politeness and gentility!

Calendargirl Mon 18-Nov-19 20:33:35

What on earth has Adam done to his hair?!!!

?

Jane10 Mon 18-Nov-19 20:41:53

I know! I hardly recognised him. I didn't like it all greased back like it was before though.

Calendargirl Mon 18-Nov-19 20:57:15

No Jane10 it looked dreadful all greased, but looks like he’s been plugged in to the light socket now!

Sara65 Mon 18-Nov-19 21:48:58

When they were in the church we didn’t know who he was, thought he was just some random stranger!

sodapop Mon 18-Nov-19 22:19:23

He looks weird, I don't think it suits him at all.
I thought Daniel was played very well tonight.

NotTooOld Mon 18-Nov-19 22:20:03

Baby Bertie seems to be an exceptionally good baby. He gets passed around from one character to another and never cries or wriggles too much.

BlueBelle Mon 18-Nov-19 23:49:43

I was thinking just the same tonight nottooold
Yes that hair does not suit Adam he’s a good looking chap but it looks weird on his head
Daniel did act well

BlueBelle Mon 18-Nov-19 23:50:11

Can’t wait for a Roberts downfall he irritates me

Sara65 Tue 19-Nov-19 07:06:31

The whole Robert/Michelle/vikki storyline is so stupid, I too can’t wait for it to come to its conclusion.
NotTooOld, I’m always saying how good Bertie is, he’s so sweet and placid, if it was my similar aged granddaughter, she’d be shouting, and throwing things around, wriggling to get down all the time , I wonder if he’s always so good.

NotTooOld Tue 19-Nov-19 17:03:46

Sara - perhaps Bertie had to do a wriggle test at his audition!

I agree about Robert but he is going to get his come-uppance apparently as Michelle is 'going to take him for all she can get'! Then she'll have to find another chef for the Bistro - perhaps Zidane will come back.

Those Coronation Street solicitors are kept very busy and they always seem happy to give advice as they walk along the street or sit in the pub, instead of making appointments and charging the clients.

Calendargirl Wed 15-Jan-20 20:59:30

Am I the only one who wishes Yasmeen would crack the dreadful Geoff over the head with his b....y vacuum cleaner and pour a bottle of wine on top for good measure?

Charleygirl5 Wed 15-Jan-20 21:02:58

Yes- tonight I was wondering what her IQ level was.

Doodledog Wed 15-Jan-20 21:11:15

No, I wish she would do something, too.

I know that coercive control is a real problem for some people, but I'm not convinced by this portrayal, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's all the housework he wants her to do. It's a tiny house, and wouldn't take ages to clean, plus neither of them work, so in the majority of cases wouldn't they both be responsible for doing it?

The 'drink problem' and general undermining of Yasmeen is done well, though.

I think that Alya will be the one to smoke him out. Jeff seems completely taken in (he's not very bright for a Head Teacher, is he? in general, not just about this). Kathy seems a bit less gullible, but my money is on Alya to save the day.

Charleygirl5 Wed 15-Jan-20 21:17:21

I hope so and the sooner the better because I have had enough already.

JessK Wed 15-Jan-20 21:25:09

They do seem to be stringing this storyline out a bit to far. I wish they would put an end to it quickly.

Esther1 Wed 15-Jan-20 21:34:39

I wish storylines could be a bit chirpier - I don’t like the big dramas, I prefer the way the characters interact in normal day to day life. Stan and Hilda were absolutely brilliant back in the day.

sodapop Wed 15-Jan-20 21:47:15

Stan & Hilda were great Esther1 - its woman Stanley

maddyone Wed 15-Jan-20 23:32:12

Yes, I liked some of the old characters, and the humour. Think Rita and Mavis. Bet Lynch and anyone else. Elsie Tanner and Dennis. And of course Hilda and Stan.

I’m fed up with the Geoff and Yasmeen story. I think it’s been dragged out for too long. Yasmeen has always been portrayed as a strong woman, it’s out of character for her to keep on putting up with it. Plus when Yasmeen and family were introduced, they were introduced as a Muslim family, who were well integrated into the community and went to the local pub, but they didn’t drink alcohol. So I’m puzzled that she’s drinking alcohol now.

Doodledog Wed 15-Jan-20 23:43:45

She said tonight that she didn't drink when she was married out of respect for her husband. She has 'mellowed' over the years, from someone quite rigid in her views to a much more relaxed character since he left.

I think that even very strong people can be taken in by gaslighting. The gaslighter starts by making the victim feel so good that all they want is to get that feeling back. It can be quite destabilising when the nastiness starts, and the victim can't quite believe what is happening. By the time it has been cranked up, they can be really confused and doubt themselves at every turn. It's insidious.

I assume that everyone knows that there are repeats of 'classic' Corrie in the afternoons on ITV3? They are the ones with Rita and Mavis, Deirdre and Curly etc. I have it on series record, and binge watch it when I get the house to myself and won't be interrupted grin.

Grandma2213 Thu 16-Jan-20 00:47:29

Doodledog I agree. While we may all be shouting at the screen for Yasmeen to see what Geoff is doing, it is not so easy in real life. When your self confidence is continually being knocked it is not so simple. I am sure the situation will be resolved eventually as that's what soaps do and I'm sure Kathy will play a part in that resolution.

sodapop Thu 16-Jan-20 08:42:35

Yes you are right Grandma2213 when you are the person actually involved its much more difficult to see what's happening. I think its a good story line.

endlessstrife Thu 16-Jan-20 10:41:57

However frustrating the story lines are, they will strike a chord with someone. We do feel Corrie has lost something, but we keep watching. I’m just glad they seem to have removed Summer. She’s the worst actress they’ve had on there.

Doodledog Thu 16-Jan-20 10:44:21

I think the worst actor is Dev, by a country mile.