Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

War Of The Worlds

(89 Posts)
lemongrove Sat 16-Nov-19 22:26:07

A reminder that the new series War Of The Worlds is starting on Sunday evening.It has to be better than the awful Tom Cruise film version.?

cmwmoonshine Sun 17-Nov-19 15:35:59

Just set the sky box to record this had no idea it was made ! I saw the Tom Cruise film and found it close but not enough I hope this is better.
My dad has been a DJ from the 70s till now and we always had the best music player at home but Richard Burton's voice used to scare me (being only about 8at the time) but it's always been one of my favourites !

cmwmoonshine Sun 17-Nov-19 15:36:48

Played *

HurdyGurdy Sun 17-Nov-19 15:39:23

Very much looking forward to War of the Worlds on television this evening. From the trailers, it looks very well done. (Absolutely hated the Tom Cruise film a few years ago.)

We first saw trailers for it about a year ago, when my son sent me a link, and we've been anticipating it since.

We went to see the stage version of Jeff Wayne's WOTW earlier this year which was phenomenal, and I have had that soundtrack since it first came out. I have lovely memories of driving around the Isle of Bute with my friend, whilst on holiday, with that blaring out in the car smile. That was before I was married so must have been the early 80s.

My son has come home for the weekend, just so we can all watch the first episode together.

lemongrove Sun 17-Nov-19 15:50:36

We have the Jeff Wayne cd too ( and used to have the vinyl)
Burton’s voice was magic wasn’t it?
The chances of anything coming from Mars, was a million to one they said.....!
Ullllllaaa! ?

EllanVannin Sun 17-Nov-19 18:01:15

I remember buying the LP when it came out. I wish I knew what happened to it. I know it was played to death---loudly.

Mollyplop Sun 17-Nov-19 18:16:00

Lemon grove grin

Pittcity Sun 17-Nov-19 22:09:31

I was disappointed with the first episode. Mucked about with the story too much.

NfkDumpling Sun 17-Nov-19 22:22:06

I vaguely remember reading the book in my yoof and I don’t remember any flash forwarding which is a bit confusing.

Deedaa Sun 17-Nov-19 22:24:55

Oh let's make it all more exciting by dragging in a love affair and a whole lot of extraneous stuff, because being invaded by martians isn't exciting enough! Why do they insist on doing it? Good to see them going back to the right time and place though.

gulligranny Sun 17-Nov-19 22:35:31

Well, that was very disappointing. I've been looking forward to it for ages and it was a total damp squib. The "Amy" character? What's that all about, other than a clunky chunk of political correctness? And was that all we're going to get of Robert Carlyle, who effortlessly acts everyone else off the screen?

Back to Jeff Wayne for me, I still have the vinyl. Richard Burton's wonderful voice, Justin Hayward, David Essex and that goose-pimpling music ... perfection.

dragonfly46 Sun 17-Nov-19 22:35:54

My daughter took me to the interactive version of Jeff Wayne’s WotW for my birthday in June. It was amazing with virtual reality, slides, climbing through windows to get away from the Martians. It was quite scary at times. Jeff Wayne was actually there when we were.

merlotgran Sun 17-Nov-19 23:23:25

Nice to see Demelza Poldark back on a horse though. grin

Jani31 Mon 18-Nov-19 00:43:29

I was singing along at various points. Hugely enjoyable. Seen the stage shows many times, have the original album and I have seen the one with Tom Cruise.
Can't wait for next week ?

travelsafar Mon 18-Nov-19 08:34:04

I just hate how these new dramas are so hyped up before appearing on the TV then when they start they are usually disappointing. I feel that with Dark Materials, Dr Who and War of the Worlds they rely on special effects too much. Dramas such as The Gold Digger and The Accident are beyond real!!!!! Give me World On Fire and Midwives anyday, good storyline, a beginning, a middle and an end.

sodapop Mon 18-Nov-19 08:55:15

I was disappointed as well, not sure what I expected but I agree with travelasfar too much hype.

GreenGran78 Mon 18-Nov-19 09:26:49

I have a tape recording of an old broadcast of Under Milk Wood. Richard Burton is the narrator. I love his voice!

ginny Mon 18-Nov-19 09:36:12

I found it rather dull and drawn out. Not sure I’ll bother with the rest.

Fiachna50 Mon 18-Nov-19 09:47:13

I loved the Tom Cruise film and am loving this one too. Very good cast and thought the effects were amazing. Loving it!

luluaugust Mon 18-Nov-19 10:17:16

My problem is that I think of Eleanor Tomlinson as Demelza as Poldark is so recent, spoils it for me.

00mam00 Mon 18-Nov-19 17:35:22

Demelza on a horse? The close ups were obviously not a real horse.

I found it muddled and full of extra stuff to the original story which just made it frustrating. Will watch as there isn’t much to look forward to on a Sunday at 9.00.

MiniMoon Mon 18-Nov-19 18:49:38

I will watch the next episode, just to see where the story is going.
Last night's offering was disappointing. Why oh why to they muck about with the story.
H.G.Wells wrote a cracking science fiction work, what's wrong with sticking to the original?

Evie64 Mon 18-Nov-19 19:32:35

Tanith, yes! Jeff Wayne's version was the best, especially with Richard Burton's dulcet tones. Used to listen to that regularly and be transported away

tanith Mon 18-Nov-19 19:34:34

Evie64 ?

NanKate Mon 18-Nov-19 20:47:50

What a disappointment. It was like a version of Dr Who with a love interest. Far too many extended facial views. Bring on the aliens.

Gfplux Tue 19-Nov-19 13:19:53

I love this HG Wells classic.
However not sure about this version.
Watched episode one and will give it the benefit of the doubt and watch next week.
However it better get better quickly.