Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

War Of The Worlds

(89 Posts)
lemongrove Sat 16-Nov-19 22:26:07

A reminder that the new series War Of The Worlds is starting on Sunday evening.It has to be better than the awful Tom Cruise film version.?

BBbevan Thu 28-Nov-19 03:39:41

Just downloaded the book to my kindle for 49p. The tv program is not true to the book so far.I shall watch and read

Gfplux Mon 02-Dec-19 15:11:05

So bad it’s bad.
I have loved and read the book many times. Listened to radio plays and watched previous films.
This, this is so bad it’s bad.
Finally gave up 20 minutes into episode two.
Dreadful.

toscalily Mon 02-Dec-19 18:38:38

I did not read any reviews on purpose, wish I had now. I was looking forward to what I thought would be something worth watching so decided to have a marathon session. Not a patch on the book or previous versions. Dull, dreary, so drawn out I thought I was watching slow TV! What a waste of my time.

NfkDumpling Mon 02-Dec-19 21:19:52

Does the book have a proper ending or stop midair? I’d like to read it but hate books which don’t round things off as if the author ran out of ideas.

Daisymae Mon 02-Dec-19 22:53:14

The book has a proper ending. The final episode proved to be rather tedious.

Mapleleaf Mon 02-Dec-19 23:13:47

I have to say, that although I enjoyed the first two episodes, I think the final one was a real let down and totally ludicrous. What a disappointment.

NanKate Tue 03-Dec-19 08:18:30

What a disappointment. ?

tanith Tue 03-Dec-19 08:21:36

I was also very disappointed with the last episode.

travelsafar Tue 03-Dec-19 08:39:35

I agree the ending was bizarre. Do you think there will be a follow up series, was George really dead?? I do think the ending is perfect for another one.smile

NfkDumpling Tue 03-Dec-19 09:32:20

I shall read the book.

World on Fire finished with more to follow, so perhaps you’re right travelsafar and there will be more. I can’t see how George could possibly have survived - but it is all pretend - isn’t it?

Teetime Tue 03-Dec-19 10:36:41

Oh dear I am so glad WOTW has ended I dont know how I lasted through the last episode with Mrs Poldark endlessly drooping around the place in the fog-so disappointing.

Franbern Wed 04-Dec-19 09:23:59

BBbevan -thanks, I have now also got the kindle book for 49p. I found the final episode unbelievable slow and boring. Stayed with it just to see what happened, but was doing some Sudoku puzzles whilst I 'watched'.

ninathenana Wed 04-Dec-19 09:31:06

Not impressed with any aspect