Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Crown

(99 Posts)
grapefruitpip Mon 18-Nov-19 09:23:30

Oh dear, I only lasted about 10 minutes. The first series was utterly brilliant.

Skysthelimit Sat 25-Jan-20 08:40:12

I couldn’t agree more with all the comments made regarding Olivia Coleman’s role in Season 3! And, Prince Phillip is awful too! Season 1 & 2 were marvellous, so well, and accurately cast. Wonderful reality in the young actors’ performances ... only to be replaced by stiff, over-the-top, attempts at being ‘Royal’. I now only have interest in the political turn-a-abouts, where the acting/casting is so much more comfortable. I think it boarders on ‘terrible’ as a portrayal of the Queen and Prince Phillip. Where are they going with this series. I am on catch-up as Netflix is a new addition!

silverlining48 Mon 13-Jan-20 18:50:05

Saw it for the first time while house sitting at a friend’s, who has Netflix. So exciting. Trouble is we didn’t know how to get it to work so binge watched from middle of series 3.
Saw the piece where Princess Margaret and Roddie were shopping because we happened to be in Rye Sussex when it was being filmed. We were just a couple of feet away and can tell you all, that that short sequence, going in and coming out of a shop, took AGES to film. We were trapped by crowds of onlookers and had to stand and stare. And stare, and stare and stand.

Anniebach Mon 13-Jan-20 09:05:51

I signed up for Netflix for a month to watch the Crown, saw
one episode, the Queen in Aberfan, it was so not what happened .

Brunette10 Mon 13-Jan-20 08:15:09

We stopped watching The Crown after the first series. Tried 3 episodes with Olivia Coleman and other newbies but just couldn't get into it at all. Felt it was a shame changing all the cast. I agree Decembergirl - I don't know how she won the award either.

Decembergirl Mon 13-Jan-20 08:09:57

How did Olivia Coleman get a BAFTA for portraying the queen so badly ????? ?
I don’t think I can continue!! Such a sour face. Hair and brows much too severe. The queen was very slight and very pretty. And not stupid!!!!
Having just watched a documentary on Princess Margaret - the visit to meet President Johnson and single handedly saving our economy?????? Plus I think she’s too old for the role. Whoops enough complaining - I’m off to the gym ???

Iam64 Wed 27-Nov-19 18:21:46

The episode where the RF sit on sofa's to watch the disastrous documentary was so reminiscent of watching the gogglebox folks stunned when watching the recent interview with Prince A.
I'm going out this evening and almost feel withdrawal symptoms as I won't get my evening episode

merlotgran Wed 27-Nov-19 18:11:56

Well, it's not like we don't know what happens, Iam. grin

Yes. It's great TV and I'm sorry I've seen them all now.

Iam64 Wed 27-Nov-19 12:14:12

Hey merlotgran -anything else you don't want to give away smile.
I'm at episode 4. It's good tv isn't it.

merlotgran Wed 27-Nov-19 11:15:48

I don't want to give anything away but the last episode leaves out Princess Anne's marriage to Mark Phillips and goes straight to the silver jubilee even though PA is one of the main characters in the last two episodes hmm

And despite the attention given to Princess Margaret's failing marriage, her relationship with Roddy Llewellyn lasted eight years. It was not a brief fling as suggested.

annodomini Wed 27-Nov-19 08:49:14

I still have three episodes to watch. I hear it might be a cold weekend so time for a final binge.

TwiceAsNice Wed 27-Nov-19 07:46:21

After a slow start where I wasn’t sure, O have enjoyed it. DD2 and I have binged watched it several episodes at a time and watched the last one last night. I have bought her the two books of series 1-3 as a Christmas present

Jane10 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:24:14

No sorry. I saw it on Netflix.

oldgimmer1 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:13:07

Jane 10 do you happen to know if the DVD will be in the shops in time for Christmas?

Jane10 Tue 26-Nov-19 22:35:07

I've finished the series sad

Iam64 Tue 26-Nov-19 21:35:28

I'm up to episode 4 - enjoying it and see the older Queen and duke of Edinburgh as convincing.

craftyone Tue 26-Nov-19 12:30:20

I ended up binge watching and loved this third series as much as one and two, probably because it fills in gaps in what I remember.

Jane10 Sun 24-Nov-19 18:13:18

I found it a fascinating read oldgimmer1. What a life Lady G had. Lots of money and privilege but a high price to pay for it all. I don't envy her one little bit.

oldgimmer1 Sun 24-Nov-19 17:54:45

*jane10 is that Lady Glenconner book worth getting?

Not sure if any of you saw the bbc doc on Princess Margaret (although I think it was a repeat). Thought it was quite good.

Lady Glenconner was a contributer.

grapefruitpip Sun 24-Nov-19 17:38:48

Olivia Coleman looks a bit too beefy

Ah the sisterhood is alive and well I see.

Jane10 Sun 24-Nov-19 15:23:53

PS I just read Lady Glenconnor's book about her life and time as lady in waiting to Princess Margaret. Princess M comes over in a far better light than she usually seems to. Lord Snowdon sounds like a cruel man who managed to get the press on his side. Eg at one point Princess M had to stop opening drawers as he'd taken to leaving unpleasant notes to her in them. One said that she looked like a 'Jewish manicurist'. A very odd thing to say. Nasty piece of work I reckon. It's an interesting book about a very different lifestyle.

Jane10 Sun 24-Nov-19 15:17:28

My DD is enjoying this series as much as previous ones. I suspect that might be because it's all historical to her in a way that it's more familiar to those of us who lived through it.

Calendargirl Sun 24-Nov-19 14:36:28

Yes, I watched the House of Windsor last night, channel 4 I think. Have seen it before. Interesting how the Duke of York is traditionally the title given to the second son, when George V gave it to Bertie, the queen’s father, he said it was a very special title and had been given to him previously. Didn’t want it bringing in to disrepute.
Probably turning in his grave now!

Tartlet Sun 24-Nov-19 14:22:46

Where are you watching that Flossieturner?

Flossieturner Sun 24-Nov-19 08:56:58

I am currently watching The House Of Windsor. It is an excellent series starting with George V. I recommend it for any one interested in the Royal Family.

Iam64 Sun 24-Nov-19 08:10:56

Lord Snowdon was bisexual