Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

A Kestrel for a Knave

(9 Posts)
Eloethan Mon 25-Nov-19 17:53:09

If anyone who enjoyed the book A Kestrel for a Knave by Barry Hines and/or the film Kes, there was a really good programme on BBC4 the other night. I think it can be accessed online.

It was reallyinteresting - and quite poignant in places - to hear about Barry Hines' childhood in a mining town, and to see his brother (on whom the book was based) flying a kestrel after 50 years. Also the actor who played Billy in the film was in the programme.

Oopsminty Mon 25-Nov-19 17:56:55

Thanks for that! I'll look out for it.

Kes had a big impact on me as a child. Brilliant film

KatyK Mon 25-Nov-19 17:58:20

We watched this. It was great.

Iam64 Mon 25-Nov-19 17:59:42

Thanks, Ill find it on catch up.

A Kestrel for a Knave is a great book and the film was so moving. It's part of working class culture that you don't see so often these days. I think that's a shame, children learn so much from animals and hawks are special

HurdyGurdy Mon 25-Nov-19 18:03:53

We did this book in our English classes at school and were lucky enough to have Barry Hines come to the school. I had my photograph in the local paper with him (and a lot of my classmates).

I loved the book and the film. I've not seen the film for ages - I must try and find it again.

I think I've still got my autographed copy of the book somewhere.

Dinahmo Mon 25-Nov-19 19:55:33

Back in the 80's my husband had a workshop in Brixton where a pair of kestrels nested in a hole in his wall- about 2 floors up. He kept an eye on them and, if they fell out of their nest he'd put them back. He even followed one that flew across Brixton High Road, temporarily knocking itself out against shop windows. One day they had all disappeared and luckily survived. He saw them on a different roof top. After that he blocked off the exterior of the hole so that there would not be any more nests.

Some young men pestered him to let them take the chicks, which he refused. Their reason was that they had seen Kes and wanted a kestrel for themselves.

GagaJo Mon 25-Nov-19 20:08:35

Lovely, lovely story. The film made me cry though. I grew up in Norfolk so it was just a story to me. But then I moved up North as a mature adult and worked among a community very like that in the story. Even more poignant.

Eloethan Mon 25-Nov-19 22:02:09

Some lovely memories.

Labaik Tue 26-Nov-19 01:12:28

I caught part of it and need to see it all; what I saw was wonderful. I was hoping they wouldn't show the sad bit but, of course, they did so I burst into tears. Currently reading H is for Hawk which is also wonderful, Dinahmo; how lovely...[so many good programmes to watch at the moment; I can't catch up with catchup…]