Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

BritBox

(51 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 03-Dec-19 14:04:41

I signed up for a free months viewing. Think I will be paying after the free month!

Christmas viewing for me , Larkrise To Candleford.

On my list - Wire In The Blood. Cold Feet. Doc.Martin and more

travelsafar Fri 06-Dec-19 08:13:08

Wow this looks great, may get DH to change from Netflix to the Britbox. ONly thing i dont like the idea of having to watch on PC or tablet. Maybe i will wait till it can be used on my smart tv which is LG not Samsung.

Chestnut Thu 05-Dec-19 23:08:43

Gonegirl - did you read my post above? They have only just started and are in the process of rolling it out!

Gonegirl Thu 05-Dec-19 16:39:36

I have just looked at the link in the email they sent me.

You can't get it on your tv, unless it is an Apple TV or a Samsung.

That's rubbish. Will stick with Youview.

Littleannie Thu 05-Dec-19 16:39:08

Thanks Tigerdove and Anniebach. I don't have a smart TV. Never mind, I am quite happy to watch it on my tablet with my headphones on. While my husband watches (hogs) the TV for his Sky sport.

Chestnut Thu 05-Dec-19 14:57:36

Thought I'd try the free month but I can't get BritBox on my TV yet. I have BT YouView and do not have a smart TV. I e-mailed and got an instant reply again!
........At the moment we do not have app support for YouView, we are working very hard in order to expand into as many platforms as possible as quickly as we can.
Although we cannot confirm the exact date of its arrival, YouView (G2 and G3 boxes) will definitely be joining the BritBox family very soon!
In the meantime you may find yourself able to watch via your devices browser, please be aware than not all browsers are supported, simply type in www.britbox.co.uk and give it a go!​

Anniebach Thu 05-Dec-19 13:14:42

Littleannie

No idea what Chromecast is sorry

I have a Samsung smart tv

Tigerdove Thu 05-Dec-19 13:11:31

If you have a Samsung tv (possibly a smart one) you get 90 days free

Littleannie Thu 05-Dec-19 12:53:30

Anniebach - how do you get it on your TV without Chromecast?
I will come back to you later, off out now to my Thursday game club at the library (scrabble, cards, dominoes etc etc). More an excuse for a natter and a good laugh!

Littleannie Thu 05-Dec-19 12:42:00

You beat me to it, Anniebach, I was going to try that. Still odd isn't it?
Chestnut - yes it's just the first series which is in black and white.

Anniebach Thu 05-Dec-19 12:31:09

LittleAnnie I just looked on my iPad and episode 1 is in colour.

But not on my tv !

Chestnut Thu 05-Dec-19 11:54:39

You should all be in colour after episode 6! That certainly is curious.

Littleannie Thu 05-Dec-19 11:52:58

One of life's mysteries Anniebach!

Anniebach Thu 05-Dec-19 11:50:47

How odd, episode 1 , black and white for me, not fair ?

Littleannie Thu 05-Dec-19 11:45:35

Anniebach - Well I have just had a quick look at Upstairs Downstairs. Episodes 2 and 3 are in black and white. But Episode 1 is DEFINITELY in colour on my tablet, with subtitles too. Sarah's coat and hat are light brown, Lady M's blouse is pale pink, her evening dress is cream, the maid's uniforms are blue/lilac. This is really odd. And I haven't been drinking, honestly!!!

Anniebach Thu 05-Dec-19 09:51:52

Littleannie. That is most strange, i watched episode 2 and 3
yesterday evening, black and white

Gonegirl Thu 05-Dec-19 09:47:43

littleannie Thank you. I will contact them at the email address you give, and ask about the free trial too. Would be nice to have that around Xmas.

jo1book Thu 05-Dec-19 09:45:49

Thanks Littleannie. I was wondering.

Chestnut Thu 05-Dec-19 09:45:06

You can get it on TV though the ITV Hub I think. Maybe though iPlayer if you take a look. E-mail them to ask and you'll get an instant reply!

Littleannie Thu 05-Dec-19 09:42:29

Jolbook - on a computer or your tablet at the moment. They are working on getting it on Chromecast so you will be able to cast to your TV. It is very new at the moment, and there are still some teething problems.

Littleannie Thu 05-Dec-19 09:39:45

Gonegirl - I was watching an episode of Doc Martin which had subtitles. I think you will find the newer programmes have them, but not some of the old stuff. Subs are a fairly recent thing aren't they, and lots of the old programmes repeated on TV don't have them do they? If you email [email protected] and ask them, they will respond very quickly. The help line is very good. Having said that, Upstairs Downstairs episode 1 which I watched last night had them, so it has obviously had them added recently. You could always try a 30 day free trial.

jo1book Thu 05-Dec-19 09:37:24

Am I right in thinking you can only watch Britbox on your computer?

Littleannie Thu 05-Dec-19 09:30:32

Anniebach I watched Episode 1 on my tablet last night. It was definitely in colour - honestly!! How very strange.

Gonegirl Thu 05-Dec-19 09:29:30

Can anyone tell me please if you can get subtitles on ITV programmes on Britbox. You can't on ordinary ITV catchup, so I was thinking of getting Britbox so long as you can get subs.

Anniebach Thu 05-Dec-19 09:26:10

I have watched 3 episodes, they are in black and white.

Littleannie Thu 05-Dec-19 09:24:40

They are definitely in colour on Britbox. Perhaps they were made in colour but transmitted on the TV in black and white.