Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Call the midwife

(124 Posts)
ayse Thu 12-Dec-19 17:47:17

For anyone who liked this all episodes are on iPlayer. A goo binge watch for me.

It also demonstrates how much care was given by district midwives. It was a time of hope even though people were poorer by today’s standards.

It’s a far cry from today where our health service is in permanent crisis. Where has all the caring gone?

ladymuck Thu 26-Dec-19 07:14:49

I was hoping there might be some comments about the Christmas special.
I thought it was disappointing, they have obviously run out of ideas.
To be honest, I think it's time to end the drama, best to quit now before they lose their fans.
One thing that annoyed me was the new baby boy immediately dressed in blue. The drama is set before the days of scans, mothers had no idea what sex the baby was until it was born. All clothes would have been in neutral colours.

Calendargirl Thu 26-Dec-19 07:21:48

I didn’t watch this, but will catch it later, so cannot comment on this particular programme. However Ladymuck I often find Christmas ‘Specials’ of any programme rather disappointing. It’s as if the scriptwriters try too hard. When the new series comes out, it’s often better. I agree though, that sometimes they should quit whilst still ahead, and leave us wanting more, hope Last Tango doesn’t end up in this category.

mumofmadboys Thu 26-Dec-19 07:32:39

Loved the Scottish scenery in the Christmas episode

Oopsminty Thu 26-Dec-19 08:03:26

I only started to watch this earlier this year

I find it charming

I agree this 'special' wasn't as good as previous episodes

Looking forward to binge watching the whole series

Pittcity Thu 26-Dec-19 08:06:07

I want to know how many outfits Trixie packed...all so unsuitable for the Hebrides.

grannypiper Thu 26-Dec-19 08:32:57

Will we see Sister Monica Joan again ? Now that she has made her pilgrimage and had the "stag" appear to her will she be meeting her maker soon ?

Jane10 Thu 26-Dec-19 10:01:48

This series seems like the writers are desperate for something else for the nurses and nuns to do.
We used to holiday on Harris in the 60s so the locations were very familiar although they played fast and loose with the various settings. One minute they were at St Clements Church in Rodel and the next they were at the Callanish stones in Lewis many miles away. Don't know how Sr Monica Joan could get there. They are fantastic though. There really is something special about Callanish.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 26-Dec-19 10:04:57

To tell the truth I found it boring and the story line, well words fail me on that one.

Callistemon Thu 26-Dec-19 10:44:07

Words didn't fail me, barmeyoldbat but then I had to keep quiet for the sake of others enjoying it tchgrin
So I had a glass of wine, sat back, took a large pinch of Hebridean sea salt and enjoyed the scenery and the ludicrous storyline!

Alexa Thu 26-Dec-19 11:08:13

I loved the white stag as Jesus!

Were people in Shawbost still singing mouth music in the 1950s as they softened the Harris tweed by hand ?

Alexa Thu 26-Dec-19 11:10:25

pS regarding Harris tweed; my son washed his old Harris tweed jacket and it came up absolutely okay.

Callistemon Thu 26-Dec-19 11:11:40

I think it's even later, mid 60s now, Alexa!

Cabbie21 Thu 26-Dec-19 11:19:08

Have I got it wrong, or were the women working on the tweed the same day as the boatman refused to take his boat out because it was Sunday?

Alexa Thu 26-Dec-19 11:29:33

I think you are right Callistemon. Trixie was wearing one of those coats made of Welsh tapestry weave which were fashionable later than the 50s.

Callistemon Thu 26-Dec-19 11:34:24

tchshock
Surely not!
I'm not watching again to find out!

It didn't look as chilly as I thought it would be, is that because of the Gulf Stream?

Callistemon Thu 26-Dec-19 11:36:15

X post, that was in answer to Cabbie

I was trying to remember the Beatles song which the young girl was singing Alexa

Jane10 Thu 26-Dec-19 11:37:11

It's supposed to be 1964

vinasol Thu 26-Dec-19 11:39:30

Made me want to go to the Hebrides!

Fiachna50 Thu 26-Dec-19 11:44:19

I loved it and thought it was a really nice Christmas special. However, I cannot stand the character played by Miriam Margolyes, a real pain in the neck. If she features largely in the new series, I may end up switching off!

farview Thu 26-Dec-19 21:31:31

...just watched on catch up..okay..there may have been little faults..nitpicking though...but I loved it,....I laughed..I cried...it was about love,life,caring,hope,belief,morals...cant beat that...absolutely cant!!!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 26-Dec-19 21:41:51

Callisteton, I was lucky I didn't have to keep quiet because of anyone else enjoying it, the other two left the room when I put it on and I just sat with one or three glasses of red moaning to myself about it. Did like the scenery though.

SirChenjin Thu 26-Dec-19 21:45:53

I enjoyed hearing the authentic Scottish accents (or an extremely good voice coach) but found the rest of it twee and predictable. The Islanders did look like an advert for the White Stuff winter catalogue, it was all very pretty - but still so much teal!!

Callistemon Thu 26-Dec-19 22:21:52

Actually, the contingent (under 45s) left the room and watched The Tiger Who Came to Tea so it was just the oldies left.

I recorded that to watch later.

jacq10 Thu 26-Dec-19 22:53:37

I have never watched Call the Midwife before tonight but as I had done a trip to the Outer Hebrides in September thought it would be of interest. I totally agree with Jane10 about the locations but that was only because of my trip. We had a wonderful time and I would recommend to anyone that if they are thinking of going just do it and pray the weather will be kind to you. In the exact spot where the white stag appeared I had a photograph taken absolutely soaked and totally windswept. Luckily the weather changed the next day and we completed our holiday in brilliant sunshine but to be honest it would still have been a fantastic experience.