Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Deadwater Fell

(176 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 11-Jan-20 07:22:37

Was looking forward to this. Don’t know if it was just me, but found it confusing. Spent most of the episode working out who was who, who was with who, and what was going on really. The awful fire, all the smoke and flames, I couldn’t tell who was trapped and who was doing the rescuing. Twist at the end of course.

BlueBelle Sat 11-Jan-20 08:07:57

That makes me feel better calandergirl I enjoyed the quality of acting I think I ll probably enjoy the story as time goes by but I was getting really muddled as to who partnered who who lived where and who they were? I might watch it again on my iPad to try and get it in perspective
The car rolling over at the beginning threw me too as I didn’t see where that fitted in and there was a whole lot of jumping to and fro in time and I was unsure when I was in the past and when I was in the present
I was thinking it was my age you have given me hope

LullyDully Sat 11-Jan-20 08:19:33

Ditto

NannyJan53 Sat 11-Jan-20 08:27:24

Yes, I found it confusing too, but I will watch the next episode and hope all will become clearer.

Whenever you get flashbacks it always takes me a while to work out where it all fits into the story.

Glad it is not just me smile

Pittcity Sat 11-Jan-20 08:47:48

Glad we're all in the same boat.
Did I see crabs fall out of the overturned car? Were they from the beach trip?
The story seemed to skip back and forth and I was sure I'd missed a chunk when I skipped the ads and the next bit didn't follow on from the bit before.
There is one obvious person in the frame....or is there?

TerriBull Sat 11-Jan-20 09:03:01

I like a lot of different strands, so I'll stick with it. If any viewers watched "The Good Fight" follow on from "The Good Wife" you may recognise the female lead, Cush Jumbo, who looks entirely different from the slick American lawyer she played in that.

kittylester Sat 11-Jan-20 09:37:13

Without wishing to lower the tone- it has David Tennant in it. It must be good. blush

I'm planning on watching it this pm!

BlueBelle Sat 11-Jan-20 09:44:44

I never thought of crabs Pittcity I thought I saw tortoises crawling out the car which made no sense at all I ll go with your crabs ....dah to me
I don’t mind flashbacks and varying strands it just seemed over complicated but yes I ll keep watching shows promise
Sorry kitty I don’t see anything beguiling about David Tennet except he’s a good actor I won’t be fighting you

Curlywhirly Sat 11-Jan-20 09:45:50

I also found it confusing; it wasn't obvious at first who was connected to who, although eventually, it became clearer. I presume the car accident with the crabs happened when the two wives left the beach together.

Also, would a Policeman with such close connections to the victims of the crime, be allowed to investigate it? I think not.

bluebirdwsm Sat 11-Jan-20 09:53:55

A mixture of garbled talking, 'clever', arty camera work and constant flashbacks meant a bewildering programme. Trying to work out which part of the timeline we were looking at detracted from concentrating on the story.

So many dramas follow this formula now. Trendy but not particularly enjoyable for the viewer.

lemongrove Sat 11-Jan-20 09:56:58

Oh dear, have recorded it to watch, but it doesn't sound great.

Itsnotme Sat 11-Jan-20 10:01:38

I was confused too, I don’t like night time dramatic events on tv anyway, cant see a damn thing. As for flash backs, that makes it worse. I was looking forward to seeing this drama, I think I’ll watch it another 3 times on iPlayer just to get the hang of it ?

grannyticktock Sat 11-Jan-20 10:34:17

The only bit that confused me was the accident with the overturning car, which we saw twice for no apparent reason. This looked quite serious but presumably no one (crabs included) was seriously hurt as they all went on to live (and in some cases, die later in the story). Was it just meant to show how unstable the wife was - shouting at the kids, easily distracted, etc? Anyway, I am glad that David Tennant is still featuring in further episodes.

After all the Christmas froth, it's good to get back to a schedule with some dramas to entertain us on these winter evenings.

rockgran Sat 11-Jan-20 10:52:29

One of the reasons I like old films is that they start at the beginning and end at the end. Flashbacks in films (and novels) are so annoying. I know it is a dramatic and literary device but I think it is now too overused - like the spiky camera work which often makes films unwatchable for me! Sorry - moan over. grin

Poppyred Sat 11-Jan-20 10:59:42

Saw this thread and decided to give it a go.

Just watched it and enjoyed immensely. A good drama is few and far between these days. Can’t wait for the next episode....

Calendargirl Sat 11-Jan-20 11:08:00

Curlywhirly

Re your comment about police officer investigating when close to the victims, I always felt that applied to Olivia Colman’s character in first series of Broadchurch, she was far too close to the victim’s family to be impartial and professional.

MerylStreep Sat 11-Jan-20 11:08:22

Too much toying and froing.
The success of a good book/film/ series is:
A beginning
A middle
An end.
It won't bother me if I don't watch again.

jacq10 Sat 11-Jan-20 12:36:08

I thoroughly enjoyed and managed to follow the story well but I think this was because I watched it this morning! I know that my concentration is not good late evening. It's a rotten day here weatherwise so not planning out and thought I would give it a go this morning. Lemongrove - you should give it a shot. I'm really looking forward to the rest of it and think I will watch it when shown to avoid any spoilers.

tanith Sat 11-Jan-20 13:33:03

I also watched this morning and enjoyed it, a couple of things jumped out at me but we shall see if I’m on the right track. Probably not ?

Dottydots Sat 11-Jan-20 13:41:45

As it got near the end I had already decided to call it a day and not watch the next episode. However, the very last scene was a bit of a shocker/surprise, so I thought to myself that things could be looking up in the next episode, so I will stick with it.

BlueBelle Sat 11-Jan-20 14:04:47

I ve just watched it a second time on my iPad and I ve got it now I know who everyone is and the backwards and forwards has become clearer it’s intriguing and if I m so dumb I ve got to watch it twice I will do so because I think it’s going to be a good drama

Greyduster Sat 11-Jan-20 14:34:39

I found it a bit harrowing , but will probably watch this again because DH hasn’t seen it yet. Hopefully, I will get more of a handle on it next time round. It’s promising though.

NannyDee Sat 11-Jan-20 14:58:53

I enjoyed it. I think this first episode was setting everything up for what will follow. Obviously there is more to it which will be revealed so am looking forward to the next episode. I am tempted though to record it and watch it all in one go, less confusing for DH ?, he doesn’t like anything with flashbacks!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 11-Jan-20 15:49:47

Bluebelle, as you have got it, can you tell me is the blond woman who died the ex wife or just a friend? Other wise I enjoyed it.

BlueBelle Sat 11-Jan-20 15:55:39

The ones who died were the doctors wife Kate and three daughters Emily iris and Charlotte and the husband the doctor, Tom is still in hospital
Hope I ve got that right