Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Movies that you'll never forget, or wish you could!

(159 Posts)
ananimous Thu 13-Feb-20 16:30:06

So... wink

I will never forget:-
Jo Jo Rabbit
Hubby and I went to the movies last year to watch "Jo Jo Rabbit" - As it ended we all stood and began dancing, and snapping our fingers (you have to see the movie to understand) not a dry eye in the house.

Wish I could forget "Erasurehead"

Chewbacca Thu 13-Feb-20 22:52:43

I can remember a film from when I was a child, I think it was called Mandy. Not sure if it was a true to life film but it was about a little girl who was deaf and who was being taught sign language. It must have been an important film for me to have remembered it for more than 60 years!

Chestnut Thu 13-Feb-20 23:06:38

The Ten Commandments was one that stayed with my younger self.
Far From the Madding Crowd (Julie Christie, Terence Stamp) was the one that impressed me most as a teenager.
Jaws just seemed to stick. I could watch it over and over.
The Exorcist was the one I wish I'd never seen. Gave me nightmares and I was even too scared to look behind the door! ?

Labaik Thu 13-Feb-20 23:11:14

There was the film about Helen Keller way back, also. Not sure if Mandy was based on her or was another deaf/blind child]. I, too wish I'd never seen the Exorcist as it still scares me. For that reason I try to be careful about what I watch. The Omega Man terrified me, also. But for some stupid reason I've just bought Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark but don't think I'll risk watching it.

Labaik Thu 13-Feb-20 23:12:45

...not a film but Tales of Mystery and Imagination on the tv haunt me to this day....

Scooter58 Thu 13-Feb-20 23:24:58

Carrie, I was 15 at the time and it really gave me nightmares

Marilla Thu 13-Feb-20 23:54:11

I won’t ever forget The English Patient, a beautiful film.
Wish I could forget Mama Mia. Dreadful!

MissAdventure Fri 14-Feb-20 00:02:20

Hostel (1 and 2, I'm a glutton for punishment) gave me real fear.
All of my worst nightmares rolled into one!

Yennifer Fri 14-Feb-20 00:07:57

Misadventure that made me think of Final Destination! That seriously gave me the creeps!

MissAdventure Fri 14-Feb-20 00:10:45

I haven't seen that.
I'm not someone who will settle down and get engrossed in a film, but I do love a nice spooky or scary or jumpy one.

Sometimes I am too afraid to watch one, but that's rare.

Txquiltz Fri 14-Feb-20 00:12:38

Creature From the Black Lagoon. Older cousins took me to see it and thought it was hilarious when it scared the wits out of me. ?

Labaik Fri 14-Feb-20 00:54:40

Reptilicus; so bad it's good. Also the old film of Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I loved the bit at the end where the dinosaur changer colour.

QuaintIrene Fri 14-Feb-20 01:14:46

Chewbacca Mandy is often shown on Talking Pictures TV I’ll keep an eye out for it. A wonderful film.

Lyndiloo Fri 14-Feb-20 02:43:50

My best film, 'The King and I'. Oh, I fell completely in love with Yul Brynner! (What age would I have been ... 15, 16?) When he slides his hand around her waist during 'Shall We Dance?' is one of the most sexiest moments I've ever seen on film. (Very innocent now!)

More recently, 'Love Actually'.

There are so many marvellous films, it's really hard to choose a favourite.

sukie Fri 14-Feb-20 05:11:50

I'll never forget Dances with Wolves; incredible scenery and story and the music was hauntingly beautiful. Back in the early '90's, I attended the symphony where the entire film score was performed, unforgettable. The John Dunbar Theme is an exquisite piece. (found this link online, hope it is ok to post) www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ALDLJHi58

Wish I could forget, The Wizard of Oz, scared me to death as a child and I still cannot watch any part of it.

TwiceAsNice Fri 14-Feb-20 08:26:06

Saw part of The Excorcist when I was a teenager , had to leave and sit in the foyer it was so bad, left boyfriend watching it LOL!

Dances with Wolves was fabulous and my absolute favourite, seen dozens of times is To Sir with Love. From another thread , he has charisma in spades!

Sophie’s Choice broke my heart, when the nazi officer made her choose which child to save and which to die it marked me forever.

dragonfly46 Fri 14-Feb-20 08:30:59

I still remember The Inn of the Sixth Happiness and all the orphans walking over the mountains with Ingrid Bergman.

I loved Mamma Mia and wish I had never seen Silence of the Lambs!

Nortsat46 Fri 14-Feb-20 08:40:18

Highly memorable:
Casablanca
Love Actually
All the Presidents Men
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Marathon man
Kramer vs Kramer
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Schindlers List
Cabaret
Dances with Wolves

Wish I hadn’t seen:
I saw the Exorcist when I was about 16 and had nightmares. I think it’s a horrible film.
Apocalypse Now

Witzend Fri 14-Feb-20 08:51:18

A really horrible western type I saw many decades ago - I think it was called Ulzana’s Raid. Scenes from that still sometimes come back to haunt me even now.

I won’t watch (or read) anything with sadistic cruelty or a lot of violence any more.

One I saw when it first came out, have on DVD and still enjoy watching now and then, is The Tamarind Seed - partly famous at the time for scenes with formerly ‘oh-so-pure’ Julie Andrews in bed with Omar Sharif!

At a time when the Cold War was such a big Thing, and mentions of the KGB or the Llubianka (sp?) could send shivers down your spine, there was the most unbelievably suspense-ful scene where you were certain the would-be defecting Russian (Omar Sharif) was never going to make it. It still gives me the shivers!

Auntieflo Fri 14-Feb-20 09:02:19

Loved the film "Out of Africa",
and the music.

Anannymous Fri 14-Feb-20 09:23:29

Whistle Down The Wind is an all time favourite first seen while on holiday as a child in the Isle of Wight. My mum and auntie sobbed through it.

I also loved High Society.

The Railway Children is another favourite.

As somebody else mentioned, the most memorable film fir me is the Deerhunter.

T0mlin Fri 14-Feb-20 09:59:11

Soldier Blue, I think I went for the music but the battle scenes were too realistic and on a large screen. I was in my early twenties so not so young, but I couldn't watch a film for ages after that in case it turned too violent.

pattiesplum Fri 14-Feb-20 10:10:35

Deer Hunter is a film I could not get out of my mind for days maybe weeks even though I wanted to.

Empire of the Sun is my favourite film.

Jamcee Fri 14-Feb-20 10:17:16

Favourite films are The Sound of Music, Calamity Jane, All About Eve.
Worst film ever-We Need to Talk about Kevin. It is a horrible film!

Paba24 Fri 14-Feb-20 10:17:57

My nightmare is Americanisms, like saying movies instead of films.

Just saying

Stella14 Fri 14-Feb-20 10:18:05

The Exorcist when I was only 14 (make-up and a boyfriend got me in the cinema). It terrified me! I didn’t sleep without the light on for two-years. I still think of it when I hear the theme tune from Tubular bells. My husband watched it at home a few years ago. I went to bed and found I was uncomfortable with it just being on the TV in the house!