Last Tango in Halifax, new series.

(265 Posts)
Witzend Sat 22-Feb-20 12:00:47

Starting Sunday 23rd Feb, BBC1, 9 pm.

Urmstongran Sun 23-Feb-20 22:34:35

calendargirl ?
Me neither actually!

kwest Sun 23-Feb-20 22:41:51

Ann Reid's character seems over exagerated and quite unpleasant.

Eloethan Mon 24-Feb-20 00:34:45

It was quite a "busy" first episode but I think they were just setting the scene.

Grannytomany Mon 24-Feb-20 02:24:12

I was quite irritated by the falsely ‘posh’ accent of the headmistress daughter. Don’t remember the character speaking like that in previous series.

Teetime Mon 24-Feb-20 08:48:43

I did enjoy it although Ann Reid's characterisation gave me the shivers - just what my mother was like without the spending. Waves of toxic vibes coming off her all the time.

Iam64 Mon 24-Feb-20 08:56:37

Fantastic start to this new series. Brilliant cast, Celia on top form, judging, criticising and entirely focused on what she wants. A new and unnecessary kitchen or help Gillian stop the roof falling in - no contest.
Sarah Lancashire as ever, excellent.
Sally Wainwright is such a good writer and those moors are always a glory to watch

sodapop Mon 24-Feb-20 08:58:59

Yes there was a lot going on in last night's episode Luckygirl It took me a while to get to grips with all the characters again and the time lapse.
I did enjoy it though, Anne Reid was excellent.

Urmstongran Mon 24-Feb-20 09:24:23

Imagine being famous like the author (who wants to marry Sarah Lancashire’s alcoholic ex) and having your new PA living in your home! That in itself would be stressful enough for me to turn to the wine rack ...
?

Luckygirl Mon 24-Feb-20 10:20:01

That whole plotline about the alcoholic author seemed unnecessary to me.

annsixty Mon 24-Feb-20 16:06:16

Oh dear, what a disappointment.
Too much going on which was totally unnecessary.
Celia is a very unpleasant woman and I would give her the heaveho if I were Allan.

merlotgran Mon 24-Feb-20 16:24:58

Bet she’s warm and lovely in real life.

Ha Ha! Urmstongran, I don't think you were around in the early years of Gransnet when we voted her our favourite actress of the year (or something like that)

She appeared on the One Show and Alex Jones hinted that she'd said made some rather disparaging comments about the award. AR had to quickly back track and say that it was 'All good actually!'

Needless to say we never voted for her again. grin

SueDonim Mon 24-Feb-20 16:56:13

I’m a late-comer to Last Tango but have looked forward to this new series. I enjoyed this first episode, although I struggled to recall who some of the younger people were - who is the male teacher?).

I wonder if Celia is being made to look bad - or a nippy sweetie, as we’d say in Scotland! - in order for her to get her come-uppance later? Though in all honestly, if I had the kitchen she’s living with, I’d want a new one, too! grin

Welshwife Mon 24-Feb-20 17:10:00

I think he is Gillian’s son and he and the girlfriend had a baby when they were very young- still at school- and Gillian helped them out with somewhere to live etc. One of the little girls is their child.

SueDonim Mon 24-Feb-20 17:17:46

Thank you, Welshwife! Gosh, he’s grown up hasn’t he? smile

GillT57 Mon 24-Feb-20 17:24:56

I enjoyed it and liked the new generation coming through; Gillian's son and his partner seem a good couple. Talking of Anne Reid, I had always liked her, but then heard a bit of an interview on Radio 4 last week, possibly Woman's Hour; she was rather sniffy and dismissive of her early years in Coronation Street, and made rather disparaging remarks about those who had stayed. I was rather disappointed. Celia is a monster, a snob and very well portrayed. My best friend at school had a Mother just like her!

annsixty Mon 24-Feb-20 17:28:44

I have also heard Anne Reid is quite difficult in real life.
I enjoyed her in dinner ladies, can hardly remember her in Coronation street, was she very young?

Maggiemaybe Mon 24-Feb-20 18:38:49

In her twenties (oh how young that sounds now!). She was Valerie Barlow, Ken's first wife - wasn't she electrocuted by her own hairdrier?

She's a tremendous actor, but she didn't come over as warm and lovely when she was on Who Do You Think You Are? She doesn't mince her words when she's interviewed either, which I like. She was on the radio this weekend and was a bit dismissive when someone suggested she should be a dame by now (I agree!). She quoted Alan Bennett saying that if you get to 70 and can still eat a boiled egg, everybody thinks you're marvellous. I love that!

jura2 Mon 24-Feb-20 18:52:47

annsixty ''Oh dear, what a disappointment.
Too much going on which was totally unnecessary.
Celia is a very unpleasant woman and I would give her the heaveho if I were Allan.''

you said it for me, thanks.

TerriBull Mon 24-Feb-20 19:01:20

Celia's turned into such a nag, it's been a while, can't remember if she was always like that, I've got her character blurred with the one Anne Reid played in Years and Years far more sympathetic. The problem is with a long interlude you can't always remember the finer detail from the last series, although they did give us a visual precis of sorts at the outset. Anyway drifted off, so I will catch up with 2nd half on IPlayer.

Yorkshire scenery beautiful as always.

Luckygirl Mon 24-Feb-20 19:41:05

Ann Reid came across as quite unpleasant in Who Do You Think You Are? I went off her then.

mcem Mon 24-Feb-20 20:47:18

Like merlot I too "went off her" when she was thoroughly dismissive of the fact she'd been voted GN's Woman of the Year or whatever the title was!
Celia is a vile character and I did wonder how the financial situation would be viewed on GN if either Celia or Gillian posted here!!

Urmstongran Mon 24-Feb-20 21:48:22

Well, well merlotgran that warm smile of Anne Reid’s certainly had me fooled! Oh that’s a shame. My illusions are shattered!

Great actress though isn’t she? Plays a perfect part.

Allan (David Jacobi - 1975 I remember him in ‘I, Claudius’ we had just got married) is completely bossed about by her.

SueDonim Mon 24-Feb-20 21:57:12

Oh, that’s all a bit disappointing! I had no idea. Didn’t know she was in Coronation St either. Clay feet, eh?

lemongrove Mon 24-Feb-20 22:32:45

She was very attractive when younger ( great hair!)
All the acting is good in Last Tango, and if characters annoy you, shows they are doing a good job.
Gillian has always annoyed me...that permanently lugubrious face and hard done by demeanour.

NfkDumpling Mon 24-Feb-20 22:36:01

Lovely to have it back and see how the characters have grown.