Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Take away food - wow !

(52 Posts)
jura2 Thu 27-Feb-20 20:57:23

Are you watching? It is really shocking sad

And apart from affecting health and mental health too- how can families afford to eat take-aways every day? Or students???

GagaJo Thu 27-Feb-20 21:07:56

Not watching, but not a fan of take-away. Always too greasy for me and my stomach can't take it.

Greenfinch Thu 27-Feb-20 21:16:54

Yes ,watched it with twin children aged 12. They really took it to heart and vowed to cut down on their favourite food : pizza. The grandson who doesn't much like fruit and veg has agreed to try some and has gone off to bed munching a raw carrot!

Jane10 Thu 27-Feb-20 21:44:02

Never have takeaways. Just don't fancy it. DD and DS think nothing of phoning out for deliveries though.

paddyanne Fri 28-Feb-20 00:01:50

We dont buy takeaway food ,but I'm fairly sure I have neighbours who have never cooked a meal. in their kitchens because takeawys are delivered every evening.One neighbour wont cook breakfast in the house because she doesn't want it to smell of food .When her husband was on a high protein diet he had to light the gas bar b q to cook his breakfast every morning before work .Thet tell me I'm a slave to the cooker,I like to cook .

H1954 Fri 28-Feb-20 00:20:02

My OH used to have them quite often apparently when he lived with his ex. Since found out that she was rather lazy and a dreadful cook. Think I can count on one hand the number of times I've eaten takeaway, much too greasy and loaded in additives! Is so much healthier to make it yourself, just needs a little effort. OH is now learning how to cook a more diverse menu now too.

Curlywhirly Fri 28-Feb-20 07:33:00

I have never had a takeaway pizza. Have had Chinese and India takeaways, probably about 5 times in my lifetime - am not a lover of them at all. Very rarely eat convenience food (apart from oven chips) - would much rather cook from scratch.

Calendargirl Fri 28-Feb-20 07:41:49

DH and I were only saying yesterday that the only time we have ever had a Chinese or Indian takeaway is when the AC have been with us, can count on one hand the times. Never ordered one ourselves. Not that struck with them, plus not cheap.
Only have fish and chips rarely.

BlueBelle Fri 28-Feb-20 07:45:34

I do eat takeaways not every day of course but for specials Chinese /Indian / pizzas I love having a Chinese or Indian the grandkids prefer pizzas
I didn’t watch the programme but having worked in posh hotel kitchens when I was younger you d never eat there if you knew what went on

Riverwalk Fri 28-Feb-20 07:46:42

A lot of pearl clutching going on here!

What is the difference between going out to your favourite local Indian/Chinese/Thai/Ottolenghi and having it delivered to your door?

janeainsworth Fri 28-Feb-20 08:27:08

Just what I was thinking Riverwalk.
What was so shocking about the programme?

Curlywhirly Fri 28-Feb-20 08:30:04

Riverwalk very true. For a change, we occasionally visit Chinese and Indian restaurants - but definitely not my favourite food, but suppose the fact that we are being served by lovely attentive staff in nice surroundings, sort of makes up for it.

Juliet27 Fri 28-Feb-20 08:42:10

KFC for lunch!

Moocow Fri 28-Feb-20 08:45:23

Here here riverwalk I didn't have time to watch it last night but am hoping to catch it if time allows on iplayer. (Spot the subtle boast grin ). It will be an insight into restaurant meals which I am very food of whenever the occasion arises but am becoming more aware of how bad they can be through such reporting.

Missfoodlove Fri 28-Feb-20 08:46:25

In the city where I live the take aways are everywhere.
I see parents coming out of school with young children straight into the takeaways.
We get leaflet after leaflet shoved through our door with crazy meal offers the latest is, 1 litre bottles of cola chips and pizza for 4 at £10.
So unhealthy but great if you’re greedy and lazy.
I can do a roast dinner for 4 for £10 and make soup for lunch the next day.
The local council should not have given permission for so many, the existing ones should pay an extra tax for litter and health services.
Every week in our local paper there is an article on how they have had to close down these places due to poor hygiene etc.
A take away in our home is only ever an occasional fish and chips.

jura2 Fri 28-Feb-20 08:55:25

Greenfinch ''They really took it to heart and vowed to cut down on their favourite food : pizza. ''

and that is a shame- because pizza is a very good food if made properly. The pizza they were testing was stuffed crust with peperoni. Why not make home made pizza with them - it is actually a very good food, especially with a salad.

Alexa Fri 28-Feb-20 08:58:45

I wondered if some of my cooking is as bad as takeaways. I have been using rather a lot of oil and a few weeks ago decided to add less oil to vegetable meals.

jura2 Fri 28-Feb-20 09:01:20

Riverwalk ''What is the difference between going out to your favourite local Indian/Chinese/Thai/Ottolenghi and having it delivered to your door?''

actually an awful lot. All those leaflets through the door offer incredibly cheap offers. As Missfoodlove above says- a big bottle of coke and pizza for 4 for a tenner, and so on. Going out is not only more expensive, but you have to plan a bit, get dressed, make a bit of an effort. Going to a restaurant is still something occasional- whereas phoning for a take-away is just so so simple- and this especially when you have young children.

What has this to do with pearl clutching!

BlueBelle Fri 28-Feb-20 09:09:06

It’s fear mongering about everything now I m amazed to be alive and reasonably healthy but the things we are told will kill us is growing daily the whole country will be a jibbering wreck soon
DONT EAT OUT at all if you are concerned as the restaurants and hotel kitchen do all sorts of things you would be shocked about Having a take away every day would be nonsense for your health having one once a fortnight is not a problem at all

Our grandkids will grow up with huge mental health problems if we keep scaring and scarring them

GagaJo Fri 28-Feb-20 09:12:25

Jura2, it means that we think we're too posh to eat junk food.

In my case, NOT at all! I can't buy crisps or biscuits because I LOVE them. But take away food makes me ill most of the time so I don't bother.

Riverwalk, the same applies to meals out for me. If I do, the next day I invariably have a dodgy stomach. It is the grease in them I can't take, so that even cuts out good old English fish and chips.

There WAS a fantastic place in Shanghai that I loved (a chain) called Sproutworks. I used to order from them with some regularity. Not greasy. Lots of veg. Not specifically vegetarian but the option was there.

MerylStreep Fri 28-Feb-20 09:18:17

Spot on BlueBelle
I'm puzzled that people actually watch these programs.

janeainsworth Fri 28-Feb-20 09:19:25

As Missfoodlove above says- a big bottle of coke and pizza for 4 for a tenner, and so on

I still don’t see what’s so shocking jura. People can go to a supermarket and buy big bottles of coca-cola and cheap pizzas.
They can also go to supermarkets and ‘Dine in for £10’ - ready meals and a bottle of cheap wine.

But of course those things come from Waitrose and M&S Food and only middle-class people go there, so that’s not shocking at all, is it?

GagaJo Fri 28-Feb-20 09:22:09

Don't make assumptions, janeainsworth.

I'm an Asda or an Aldi girl. My stomach doesn't care where it comes from as long as it isn't greasy, so that unfortunately cuts out frozen pizza too.

Shropshirelass Fri 28-Feb-20 09:24:49

I never have take aways, very rarely did in the past. Now I cook from fresh and have a low carb, sugar free diet. I feel wonderful, no aches and pains, no indigestion and money in my pocket, win, win. Back to basics.

janeainsworth Fri 28-Feb-20 09:25:50

gagajo <irony alert>