Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

How are we going to cope without The Archers?

(205 Posts)
Kate54 Fri 01-May-20 19:01:41

Maybe it’s the lockdown but The Archers has become very important to me! The news that we’ll be ‘treated’ to re-runs of past storylines for the next three weeks or so is very bad news indeed, particularly as the inevitable disaster of the Philip/Kirsty nuptials has yet to unfold.
Except there won’t be any nuptials, will there?!
I think I know Philip’s true (evil, obviously) character will be revealed - as it surely must, please God - but do any of you have any ideas? I know a lot of you couldn’t care less but humour those of us who do!

LullyDully Wed 18-Nov-20 19:39:55

I found this very moving. I think Chris should have called 999. So hard to deal with this without experience. I don't hold a lot of hope for the baby, I fear Alice will loose the little one. Strong stuff.

Kate54 Wed 18-Nov-20 21:53:03

I almost turned it off when she started hallucinating after a mouthful of mouthwash. Too melodramatic for me. Of course Chris should have called 999!

phoenix Wed 18-Nov-20 22:03:03

Kate54 not entirely sure the mouthwash had much to do with it.

Perhaps what used to be referred to as the DT's.

merlotgran Wed 18-Nov-20 22:03:30

Ridiculous that Chris didn't call for an ambulance and let her have a drink instead. Also ridiculous that he went along with locking her in the bathroom.

About five years ago a man in our village tried to go cold turkey when his wife left him. He locked himself in his flat and was found by his son after a neighbour raised the alarm. He is now in a care home with alcohol related dementia.

Withdrawing should be done under medical supervision.

Elrel Wed 25-Nov-20 00:35:21

I wonder how far this will go. On Tuesday I listened to ‘D is for Dexter’, the moving story of Skye, a teenager struggling to cope with her inadequate mother and mentally disabled younger brother. The mother referred to him as ‘autistic’ and Skye angrily corrected her that he actually suffered from foetal alcohol syndrome.

Kate54 Wed 09-Dec-20 06:02:53

I am now beginning to suspect that the BBC will never return The Archers to its normal six days a week format. Every other TV and radio programme has managed something so what’s going on if it isn’t a clumsy cost-cutting exercise?
If Strictly and I’m a Celebrity can do it..........

eGJ Wed 09-Dec-20 09:00:41

Are you amused by the reassertion that this was recorded before the present restrictions applied? I'm sure we are picturing them all wearing face coverings................and Alice "visiting" Fallon in her house.
Do hope Kirsty sees the light before the end of the year, but we have to wait until January 5th for Roy to have some advice for her!!

Kate54 Wed 09-Dec-20 09:26:54

Roy! We haven’t heard from him for a long time !

eGJ Thu 10-Dec-20 19:14:34

Am I the only one shouting don’t do it Kirsty!

merlotgran Thu 10-Dec-20 19:18:45

I thought that's what Gavin was going to shout.

phoenix Thu 10-Dec-20 19:25:15

eGJ

Am I the only one shouting don’t do it Kirsty!

Definitely not, I was shouting too!

LullyDully Thu 10-Dec-20 19:47:25

Poor Kirsty, what will happen now?. I hoped Gavin may have said something. Can only end in tears.

Sparkling Wed 16-Dec-20 14:37:17

I am fed up with the on going story of Chris and Alice, I just don’t like Alice and Chris is such a drip. The storyline about the slaves is just too traumatic. Things are bad enough with COVID and isolation without this constant drip feed of misery. I have listened to this programme all my life but never known it so bad. Just a chink of good news please. Let Kirsty and the law find out just what’s been going on, I feel like driving there to free the poor souls. Let them have their first good Christmas. Meanwhile Saint Jill continues her charmed existence.

Kate54 Wed 16-Dec-20 17:49:33

We were bewildered last night at the first exchange between Blake, Jordan and whatever the other modern slave is called. We genuinely couldn’t understand a word of what they were saying apart from the fact that they were out and about somewhere and spotted someone with ‘two dustbins’. By the time of their second appearance in the episode, however, the director had evidently told them to tone it down (or up?) a bit and they were intelligible.
The Kirsty/Gavin/Philip bubble will burst in early January, I believe, but meanwhile, the dramatic irony is getting too obvious. Get on with it!
Meanwhile, still no announcement about returning to normal transmission despite the fact that cast members are busy giving interviews about the show’s 70th anniversary. It’s the first question I’d have asked Ruth Archer on BBC TV this morning!

M0nica Thu 17-Dec-20 13:18:58

I have managed incredibly well without the Archers since the anniversary when they killed Nigel Pargiter.

It wasn't the plot line per se, but throughout the previous month there had been trailers suggesting something really different and game changing was going to happen. Would Helen's baby be profoundly fisabled, would a gay character whose name I forget be so besotted by the baby he might change sides, but, no just the same old, same old, kill a popular character.

I was so disillusioned I stopped listening, cold turkey and I haven't listened since, not once. Life without being hooked on the Archers is wonderfully freeing.

Sparkling Fri 18-Dec-20 21:57:08

Think I will turn it back on end if January, when this current misery finishes.

nadateturbe Fri 18-Dec-20 22:51:21

eGJ I'm shouting with you.
And I can't stand Alice.
My OH has lost interest. ..

eGJ Wed 23-Dec-20 19:16:10

Come on Gavin! Come back! Tell Kirsty everything please!

Kate54 Wed 23-Dec-20 19:27:26

Finally! Come on Kirsty! Come on six days a week!

silverlining48 Wed 23-Dec-20 19:30:44

Yes poor Kirsty, she doesn’t deserve this.

eGJ Wed 23-Dec-20 19:35:09

Have you all seen that “With great pleasure” on Christmas Day at 7.00 is The Archers (repeated New Year’s Day at 12.18) then The Archers Anniversary Quiz on New Year’s Day straight after a life-changing crisis on The Archers at 7.00. No roof climbing I hope!

eGJ Thu 24-Dec-20 19:09:19

Go for it Kirsty!

eGJ Thu 24-Dec-20 19:14:23

Hurrah for Eddie?

eGJ Thu 24-Dec-20 19:17:09

Well, I think I need a drink to calm down wine

GrammarGrandma Sat 26-Dec-20 18:32:43

I listened to the Archers for over forty years, until Elizabeth slept with Roy and then I stopped - cold turkey (how apposite for Boxing Day!). I should have stopped when Nigel fell off the roof.