Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Coronation Street

(55 Posts)
flamenco Sat 02-May-20 09:58:42

I would be interested to hear what other people felt about last nights Coronation Street. It was truly upsetting and I think they have gone too far with this story about domestic abuse . Surely a soap should be a little more light hearted, or am I wrong?

paddyanne Sat 02-May-20 10:08:32

I f they were going to do the abuse storyline they had to do it right .It was horrifying,not just last night but the build up to it,the way she changed from being a feisty ,on top of everything person to having no self esteem and depending on him to tell her what to do.She didn't speak to anyone about the supposed drink problem because she believed what he said was true.
Sadly there are men like that out there ,one or two of them have been in our circle and we had no idea what the partners were subjected to at home.
Its something we felt we should have been aware of but the sly digs and talking their partners down were only seen as men who were a bit odd and maybe they felt their partners were better than them so had to try to make themselves feel good.
It took one woman almost being killed before we knew what was going on....she survived and made a new life ...he got away with it ...used his PTSD from his army days as an excuse. Many women dont survive

vampirequeen Sat 02-May-20 10:09:18

I don't watch soaps but I saw a clip of the emotional abuse. It was very realistic but maybe it needs to be so that people realise that a lot of abuse isn't physical. I don't know if a soap is the best place for it but then a lot more people watch soaps then watch documentaries so maybe it is.

b1zzle Sat 02-May-20 10:13:15

Been there & done that, so it brought back memories of a time that I'm trying desperately hard to forget. However, I was fascinated (but not in a good way) watching it all unfold although I did feel that the acting was slightly wooden and over the top right at the end.

It still left me in tears. There will always be some very cruel people in the world.

henetha Sat 02-May-20 10:15:37

I think it's good that the soaps sometimes follow a serious storyline, like the present Corrie one, as it draws viewers attention to these issues.

Harris27 Sat 02-May-20 10:16:03

I used to love emmerdale and coronation street never ever missed an episode. Then suddenly they became not a form of entertainment but made me feel miserable so stopped watching them, I stopped when Hayley had cancer that storyline was deepressing even though it mirrored real life.

Doodledog Sat 02-May-20 10:20:56

I don’t see why soaps should be light-hearted (or ‘should be’ anything, really). They are great for getting people talking about issues in a ‘safe’ way - as by talking about characters or storylines people can explore topics that might otherwise be difficult to discuss about themselves.

Domestic abuse has risen massively in the lockdown, and can often start with coercive control. Seemingly small put-downs (micro-aggressions) start to undermine the victim’s self-esteem and escalate until they doubt their own reality.

I think Corrie did it well (although the actress over-acted some of it), and if the storyline encourages one person to get out of a similar relationship then it’s worth a bit of uncomfortable viewing for the rest of us.

Galaxy Sat 02-May-20 10:45:40

I think its important , especially at the moment.

Granny23 Sat 02-May-20 10:56:19

Can someone tell me what happened at the end of last night's episode. I had a phone call and missed the last five minutes!

libra10 Sat 02-May-20 10:56:54

It was an upsetting storyline about what can be real-life problems for some. The actress who plays Yasmeen did an interview on TV earlier in the week, and said she did a lot of research into the subject.

Personally, I think the storyline did go on too long, although I agree that it is necessary to air such difficult topics. However, Coronation Street and other soaps are classed as entertainment, and the emphasis should be on that, seeing someone being reduced to such harsh treatment was far from entertaining.

timetogo2016 Sat 02-May-20 11:00:35

Thats the very same reason i stopped watching soaps years and years ago.
It`s not entertainment as far as i am concerned.
BUT me and DH love watching Coronation Street from the 80`s`/`90`s, it`s hillarious wathing the Duckworths.

GrandmaJan Sat 02-May-20 11:16:06

I read that both actors and the producers and director did a lot of research into domestic abuse and because of this storyline there has been a large increase in women (& some men) contacting Women’s Aid and other agencies. They thought that if their partner wasn’t physically violent towards them then it wasn’t abuse.
I worked as a Senior Nurse for Child Protection for many years until I retired and I found watching this really difficult. It will be interesting to see how the police deal with this when Yasmeen is spoken to because she thinks she is to blame for their marriage breaking down. One thing I found so sad was when Geoff made her put that red dress on and she actually went out in it. I recall that behaviour in cases I dealt with in my role, it emphasised just how much weight she’d lost as well. Well acted and portrayed and if it encourages women and men to pick up the phone and ask for help then it’s done what the producers set out to do. Granny23 I would watch the ending on ITV Hub if you have it on your tv.

blondenana Sat 02-May-20 11:19:09

Had me in tears, brought back bad memories, from a similiar type of husband, not quite as bad ,but a lot of similarities
very controlling husband, and same as Geoff,telling me who he had been with, locking me in, taking my purse, even put sleeping pills in my tea,
Second husband wasn't much better, controlling, but not as bad, more physical abuse
I wonder why apparently some people choose the same type of partner
My daughters husband was even worse,tied her up and threatened her with a gun, then took an overdose himself
Luckily for her he hanged himself,after the police got involved and brought her to me

Dottydots Sat 02-May-20 11:32:04

I cried watching it, knowing that many other woman had been through, or are going through a similar scenario. I know it's easy for me to say, but I wouldn't let any man treat me like that and I would have stamped on it at the outset.

Calendargirl Sat 02-May-20 12:34:21

Granny23

Geoff was holding a carving knife and yelling at Yasmeen, a red mist seemed to descend, she grabbed a wine bottle and hit him, it shattered, when he came at her she thrust it into his neck and he toppled over clutching his throat, leaving her stunned.
I think that was the end, personally I would have let the phone ring!

sodapop Sat 02-May-20 12:58:58

I agree totally with your post at 10.20 today Doodledog

starbird Sun 10-May-20 19:02:39

I am just waiting for the police to find the cameras, before Geoff is allowed back in the house. I hope they don’t drag it out too long.

Clawdy Thu 21-May-20 08:53:53

Anyone see the post natal support group episode last Friday? That bit where the young mum talked about trying to cope after the birth of her daughter - it was so powerful and moving, a good bit of writing for once. And what a lovely talented actress - we need more like her!

Lucca Thu 21-May-20 09:07:55

Some good acting but also I’m sorry some really bad acting. I’ve always thought “Gail “. Is a really poor actress especially when she tries do comedy. The new black family i find the footballer lad ok but the others are not great actors. Rula lenska was just ridiculous.

Kandinsky Thu 21-May-20 09:21:54

A lot of very wooden acting in coronation street. Yasmeen is pretty awful, plus quite a few others.
You’d have thought a high profile show like coronation street could get better quality.

Beechnut Thu 21-May-20 09:26:10

I would like the character Aggie to be like Mrs Tembe.

annsixty Thu 21-May-20 10:23:54

Rula Lenska is well past her sell by date and sounds as though she has a mouth full of pebbles, trying to keep them in.
And, carrying on being really bitchy, how much work has Liz McDonald had done?
I of course am perfect, but then, not in the public eye.

Jane10 Thu 21-May-20 10:33:49

Liz is looking fabulous whatever she's had done. I'm glad Rula Lenska's out at last. Her and Ken's relationship never rang true.
Interesting that the writer's have given little Oliver mitochondrial disease. Its such a complex condition. Nothing straightforward. Good to shine a light on this condition. With that, post natal depression and domestic abuse Corrie's pretty serious these days. Thank goodness Kirk's taken up Mongolian throat singing!

annsixty Thu 21-May-20 10:51:41

One of them could learn the Polynesian nose flute and then they could do "turns" at concerts and in local pubs.

PetitFromage Thu 21-May-20 11:01:06

It's interesting to compare the physical appearances with some of the main characters with how they were in the Classic Corrie episodes. I think Ken, Rita and Sally have worn particularly well, but others not so much. Kevin was so young and handsome in the early episodes.