Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Another Real Marigold Hotel.

(140 Posts)
Daddima Mon 04-May-20 14:02:13

Just saw yesterday that there’s a new series, and, with the exception of the cricket commentator and the actress from Coronation Street, I had heard of them all!
Britt Ekland should have stayed away from the plastic surgeons, but they seem quite interesting.

Urmstongran Fri 29-May-20 07:17:14

Ah, when people say ‘we must all meet up’! Great intentions ... come to LA/Portugal/Doncaster. Actually I do think Blowers will be invited and go to Doncaster. He and .... (name escapes me) shared a few Johnnie Walkers together and genuinely got on well.

Britt was her usual self-absorbed self. Photos of herself as a Bond girl ‘very useful’ (eh?) living off past glories. I cringed when she left that signed photo of herself and her hosts must have felt obliged to say they were thrilled!

I like Barbara but agree she didn’t get much of a look-in. We didn’t get to learn anything personal about her so I too feel I know nothing much about her from this programme.

Susie was very emotional wasn’t she? I think she’s holding herself together and relies heavily on her Buddhism to help her cope with life. Something happened her 40y ago she said. She got the most out of the experience. She hoped it would make her less anxious and more brave. It did her good.

Calendargirl Fri 29-May-20 06:43:40

Previous series have made an effort to give the illusion that the participants are genuinely thinking of retiring to these destinations.

This series, although enjoyable, was really just a glorified, upmarket package holiday for celebrity pensioners.

The next series should be a resume of all the previous series, detailing where all the senior citizens are now residing.

I bet none in the places they visited, not on a permanent basis anyhow.

Evie64 Fri 29-May-20 00:30:36

I've loved this entire series. Must admit though, so far, Britt Ekland has been my least favourite celeb. Feel sorry for her in some ways though, I think she's living in the past to a degree and I agree, she should never have agreed to pay to go under the surgeons knife!

Grannynannywanny Fri 29-May-20 00:23:01

I saw Barbara in concert in mid 80’s. A lovely singer and very entertaining.

She had lead parts in Evita and Blood Brothers over the years. She’s still performing and producing albums.

Chewbacca Fri 29-May-20 00:13:02

I do wonder whether, with Britt being so pushy and needing to be centre stage all the time, if Barbara just got pushed into the background. I don't feel as though I know any more about her now than I did before the series began. With Britt carting 50 year old photographs of herself to flash at airport check in desks, plus the ones that she foists bestows as gifts on others, I can imagine that she'd become a royal pain in the ass to someone of a quieter nature.

Grannynannywanny Fri 29-May-20 00:03:29

I would like to have seen more of Barbara. On last week’s episode a chunk of time was dedicated to Britt dressing up and preparing to join the young man in the traditional dance on Susie’s birthday evening.

Then when Barbara was singing we only heard a few seconds. It all seemed to be edited to have Britt in the forefront and Barbara didn’t get a chance to shine.

Callistemon Thu 28-May-20 23:51:24

Having missed most of the programmes, I didn't realise Barbara was perhaps boring that's why we didn't see much of her.

merlotgran Thu 28-May-20 23:49:10

I thought Barbara was really boring. She didn't seem to have much to offer. Britt was irritating and self absorbed.

I enjoyed this series but it was a bit bland. Susie was lovely and Blowers entertaining but that was it really.

Callistemon Thu 28-May-20 23:41:53

We saw a couple at the beginning and have just watched the last episode.
It was very enjoyable but I'd like to have seen more of Barbara than the unutterably boring and self-obsessed Britt Ekland with her distorted trout pout.

Chewbacca Thu 28-May-20 22:37:10

Susie seems to be the one who gained the most from the experience, both spiritually and emotionally. Britt became more boring and self obsessed and appears to have no sense of self recognition; how could she, of all people, accuse Henry of repeating boring anecdotes?

It was a lovely series and I shall miss it.

merlotgran Thu 28-May-20 22:36:45

They didn't really focus on care for the elderly in this series like they have in previous ones.

It was only in tonight's episode that there was a glimpse of retirement living and that was in a stonking rich facility.

Puzzler61 Thu 28-May-20 22:27:21

Britt said she was a solitary person who couldn’t live in a community village for elderly people - is that because she actually thinks she’s not one of them?
Did you see her eyes light up when she met the “attractive young man” (her words) at the Ganges? I think she’s a Cougar.
Paul and Duncan seemed ready to go home tonight.
What an absolutely amazing trip the group have had - and got paid for it.

Luckygirl Thu 28-May-20 22:17:27

Can you really believe that Britt kindly left a gift of a picture of herself? - such overwhelming generosity!

I thought Blowers summed it up when he said it must be very hard to be an ageing sex symbol. No such worries for him! grin

Calendargirl Thu 28-May-20 21:09:54

How did I not know Britt had been a Bond girl?

?

Thought Duncan’s remark was very ungallant!

50 years ago!

DanniRae Tue 26-May-20 10:10:46

Glad you enjoyed it Puzzler61 smile

Puzzler61 Tue 26-May-20 08:42:37

DanniRae after seeing your post I went to the Celeb’s Q&A’s and enjoyed reading them all. Thanks for the tip!

Pittcity Sat 23-May-20 18:02:59

I googled too and Susie's birthday is in April. Zandra's partner died in June, so they had a few weeks together.

Chewbacca Sat 23-May-20 14:19:37

Susie's kameez looked lovely didn't it Jane10? I have a sari and short kameez that was brought back as a gift from India and the embroidery on it is beautiful. Never worn it but it's nice to have.

Jane10 Sat 23-May-20 13:13:23

Those fabrics and clothes in that shop were wonderful. I'd very happily wear something like Susie's outfit.

Daddima Sat 23-May-20 12:18:35

I agree that this is the best group yet, and I actually looked to see if Zandra’s husband had died ( he had). I love Barbara, but I suspect a lot of bits featuring her may not have been included, as Britt and Zandra have been more ‘ flamboyant’!
I’m loving Blowers, but I also loved Stanley when he was on, and was disappointed at some newspaper reports’ reaches for pinch of salt quotes from him.
Duncan’s speech is a wee bit indistinct sometimes, as if he has suffered a small stroke ( or large Scotch)
Best viewing of the week for me.

Calendargirl Sat 23-May-20 12:03:09

Re the cake.

How typical for a bunch of blokes to go and buy a birthday cake or cakes, thoughtful gesture notwithstanding, but not have a clue how old the recipient was or how to spell her name.

?

Babs758 Sat 23-May-20 11:47:11

Best series of this yet! My husband, who is not watching, but who keeps finding excuses to come into the sitting room, says he was surprised by Pudicherry and how nice it was. I have always wanted to go to India.

Duncan’s admission about how he had previously thought India “dangerous” was interesting. Also his insistence to the poor beleaguered cakemaker re the spelling of Susie’s name. He is obviously used to being in charge.

Zandrah is great and sorry to see her go. I bet her show biz stories are brilliant but she doesn’t feel the need to show off. Susie’s birthday dress was gorgeous and really suited her.

Eloethan Fri 22-May-20 18:57:37

I'm really enjoying this series and I love the current location - Pudicherry. I've never particularly hankered after going to India but after reading a book called "A House in Pondicherry" by Lee Langley I've often thought I'd like to go there. My favourite book of hers is called "Changes of Address", is also set in India, and is partly autobiographical.

The celebs in this series are very relatable and mostly likeable. I agree that Britt Ekland is rather self-absorbed but I think she recognises that in herself and, apart from that little irritation, I think she's OK. I too felt sorry for the Chuckle brother who seemed so disappointed that the doctor could only reiterate what he'd already been told by British doctors. Douglas Bannatyne is OK but a bit stern. The cricket chap seems fun and it was quite sad when he talked about the "howler" which led to him retiring.

So far, it has been very interesting and entertaining.

PamelaJ1 Fri 22-May-20 18:12:57

Can one feel sorry for a BOND GIRL?
Well I did when she talked about the work she had had done.
I think that I thought that she thought she looked good. Obviously she doesn’t.
How sad.

Kandinsky Fri 22-May-20 18:03:08

Britt is very ‘me me me’ but if she wasn’t there it would be a bit boring.