Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

"The A Word"

(30 Posts)
phoenix Thu 28-May-20 14:40:23

Hello all,

Please can anyone tell me the name of the character (or actor) who plays the young gay chap? He went to the ante natal class with Rebecca.

I'm trying to find a picture of his haircut!

Thank you!

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 28-May-20 14:46:42

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Greenwood

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 28-May-20 14:47:46

phoenis Meant to add - I've only just started watching it - so think this is the actor.

ninathenana Thu 28-May-20 15:30:33

Yes, that's him. Beautiful looking guy. I can't find a pic of his current hairstyle though

phoenix Thu 28-May-20 16:17:06

Thank you all!

Would love a pic of the way his hair was in the episode this week.

Am rather tempted to try it! blush

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 28-May-20 17:30:05

googled him + a word

phoenix Thu 28-May-20 17:53:15

Thank you Woodmouse much appreciated!

However think I might need to find another pic in order to show my hairdresser!

It was sort of longish and floppy on one side, clipped to what looked like a number 2 or 3 on the other.

merlotgran Tue 09-Jun-20 22:02:48

OK. Own up!

Who cried?

Puzzler61 Tue 09-Jun-20 22:07:07

Yes! For the third week running!!

Auntieflo Tue 09-Jun-20 22:19:06

Another photo

Coolgran65 Tue 09-Jun-20 22:29:53

Beautiful ending. I loved it.

Just love Maurice.... But couldn't live with him ?

LoobbyLoo Tue 09-Jun-20 22:30:17

What name did Rebecca give to her daughter? I missed that bit.

BlueBelle Tue 09-Jun-20 22:42:37

I loved it, no crying from me, what bit did you find tearful? I was finding it funny especially Maurice
I hope they don’t do another series I think it’s been done now and should finish, as much as I enjoyed it
I ve got to disagree I think the gay lad looks so skinny and weak and pale and is a duff actor, very unappealing, good job were not all alike

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 09-Jun-20 22:56:13

loobbyLoo

Rose - Maurice said is was her grandmother's name (I presume Maurice's wife).

merlotgran Tue 09-Jun-20 23:18:41

You're a right little ray of sunshine, BlueBelle.

phoenix Tue 09-Jun-20 23:22:11

I thought it was Rosie?

May have misheard, was part way through a row with Mr P blush

Bridie22 Tue 09-Jun-20 23:44:44

Brilliant series, will miss it .

BlueBelle Wed 10-Jun-20 06:27:19

Why’s that merlot I m a miserable person because I think the young lad was a poor actor and looked pretty grim in his styling I thought that was an opinion and I thought they were allowed whoops sorry
Or
Was it because I didn’t cry I m not sure what part would make anyone cry I thought it was quite a happy series and I certainly laughed at lots of it
Or
Was it because I said I hope they don’t do another series
I do think they go on too long sometimes
I loved Last tango and was so looking forward to the last series but I thought it was poor and it was a series too many Scraping the barrel
Sorry you see me as miserable I m really not ?

Puzzler61 Wed 10-Jun-20 06:56:48

For me Bluebelle it was the pathos of events seen through Joe’s eyes, and the limited words he used. Peter Bowker the creator of the series drew me in completely.
Maybe I’m a bit of a sop but I often find tears coming on, especially since Covid19 took over all our lives.

Yes you’re right, there was a lot of humour in the programme -but rarely from Joe - who struggles to cope with change in his routines, like his mum and dad living in 2 separate places and big events like his birthday party (in a previous episode).

Puzzler61 Wed 10-Jun-20 07:04:27

I thought the baby was named Rosie Sandra (Sandra was Maurice’s wife).

Sparkling Wed 10-Jun-20 07:07:27

I enjoyed it but it didn't make me cry. Don't think I could live with any of the characters though. I found the teacher extremely irritating. I hope they don't do another series, it was good but it was enough.

Calendargirl Wed 10-Jun-20 07:12:05

I only watched the first series of The A Word, then no more as it didn’t appeal to me, so cannot comment on subsequent series.
Just wanted to support Bluebelle in her opinion that so often the makers of any popular series don’t know when to stop.
Far better to finish on a high, and viewers wishing for more, than drag it on until it’s lost its spark, i.e. Last Tango, Grantchester et al.

Puzzler61 Wed 10-Jun-20 07:22:26

Yes there is an optimum time to say “no more” and stop, but not when those of us enjoying it don’t want it to end for good, and request more. It’s surprising how many people continue watching tv programmes and moan about them - there is an off button.

sodapop Wed 10-Jun-20 07:36:21

Loved it, a great series with humour and pathos. Not sure if I want to see more, there is scope for further story lines I think.

LullyDully Wed 10-Jun-20 08:19:40

I have enjoyed this series so much. The characters are very human and likable. It is hard to believe the boy playing Joe is not autistic , he has been superb. Last night all the knots were tied up and we left Joe walking and singing happily down the road.

This should be the end of the story for us, but I shall miss the programme. A good time to quit on a high.