Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

"The A Word"

(31 Posts)
phoenix Thu 28-May-20 14:40:23

Hello all,

Please can anyone tell me the name of the character (or actor) who plays the young gay chap? He went to the ante natal class with Rebecca.

I'm trying to find a picture of his haircut!

Thank you!

oldgimmer1 Wed 10-Jun-20 08:27:44

I enjoyed the first series, but I gave up on the second.

I can't understand how Joe's mother manages to afford such a lovely apartment. Isn't she a student? hmm.

Also, I don't get why she moved so far away from the family.

Scenery is beautiful though. Worth watching just for that.

BlueBelle Wed 10-Jun-20 09:02:14

Puzzle61 I m a cryer at a lot of programmes too but I didn’t see Joe as a chap to cry about he had two supportive and loving parents (even if separated) he had a very (yes highly irritating) supportive teacher a lovely funny extended family, a doting patient sister and a new ‘friend‘ and he lived in a village that was filled with people with disabilities (that’s tongue in cheek but was a bit unrealistic) He had his music and beautiful scenery to walk in
I really did like the series and most of the characters Especially Maurice who was very lovable but so annoying you would kill him after ten minutes but I don’t want it overegged I was so disappointed with Last Tango which I loved
But in case you think I m a hard hearted Annie I m quite a cryer toob

lemongrove Wed 10-Jun-20 09:26:15

I loved The A Word, but agree it should end now really.
Funny and moving at the same time, and I recognised the autistic behaviours of Joe, our DGS was very similar when younger ( although Joe is generally much more placid and amenable.)!
Such good dialogue and funny one liners, and I like Lee Ingleby in almost everything he acts in.

Puzzler61 Wed 10-Jun-20 09:44:10

? I know you’re not hard hearted BlueBelle.
It just touched me and made me feel very blessed to have had children not on the spectrum that the character Joe is on.

J52 Wed 10-Jun-20 10:21:33

I quite enjoyed the series and thought the characters were well acted.
I am puzzled about the distance between the main family in Cumbria, Lake District I assume and the mother’s flat in Manchester.
They all seemed to travel backwards and forwards in a very short time, sometimes it appeared to be several times a day.